Rewires

Old May 26th 2006, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rewires

Hopefully somebody will know the answer to this one. If i was accepted into Australia and was awarded an electrical licence as an electrical fitter, would i be able to rewire my own house? We are planning on moving to Western Australia where the house prices are going sky high at the minute, so me and the missus are leaning towards getting a "doer-up" (is that a word/phrase-it is now), and i would like to know whether i need an electrical mechanics licence or can i do my own wiring? From what i have seen, a fitter is a maintenance spark, and a mechanic is a house basher- just wanted to get this straight before i get there.
Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2006, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rewires

Originally Posted by lilstewie
Hopefully somebody will know the answer to this one. If i was accepted into Australia and was awarded an electrical licence as an electrical fitter, would i be able to rewire my own house? We are planning on moving to Western Australia where the house prices are going sky high at the minute, so me and the missus are leaning towards getting a "doer-up" (is that a word/phrase-it is now), and i would like to know whether i need an electrical mechanics licence or can i do my own wiring? From what i have seen, a fitter is a maintenance spark, and a mechanic is a house basher- just wanted to get this straight before i get there.
Cheers
Just wire it, it's like the UK, do the NIC ever come round and check. If not, find out what local permits are required, then find out who is qualified to pull the permit, throw him a couple of hundered bucks to pull the permits and wire it yourself anyway, I have done it in 34 different countries now, but never in Oz, never had or never heard of anyone having a problems. As long as you do it quitetly.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

justy will become famous soon enoughjusty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rewires

Definitely like that style. I have only wired houses in 5 countries. The US is a fun place to wire houses. Those horrible cheap and nasty switches and receptacles. Anyway i agree. Any good spark with experience should be able to wire their own house. You can always get someone to sign off a certificate of compliance (NZ). You might need to show test results though. A darn expensive bit of kit just to test one house. Borrow a multi function tester if you can. There are some differences in UK and OZ wiring rules. No ring mains in Oz or NZ. Lighting circuits are not 3 plated like UK. Neutrals and loops all wired through the switches. Often a TT system too with earth stakes. Wholesalers usually have experienced staff and can help, same in NZ. Unlike the UK with mostly only sales people