British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Retraining on oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/retraining-oz-807641/)

Micetroo Aug 29th 2013 8:14 pm

Retraining on oz

Hi my husband is doing the full electrician course with olci he will have the 17th edition and will be doing a written exam at the end to make him testing and inspection qualified. Does anyone know what he will need to do to convert to electrician in oz as I am being told different things from 5 mins to 12 months! Thanks

old.sparkles Aug 29th 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Retraining on oz

Originally Posted by Micetroo (Post 10876763)
Hi my husband is doing the full electrician course with olci he will have the 17th edition and will be doing a written exam at the end to make him testing and inspection qualified. Does anyone know what he will need to do to convert to electrician in oz as I am being told different things from 5 mins to 12 months! Thanks

What qualifications will he have when he finishes?

Assuming he has enough to safisfy a skills assessment, he will need to do gap training and complete a log book of work in Australia. If you are having skills assesse in the UK, he will need to apply to Vetassess (there are other options but Vetassess is most common), provide his evidence, take a trade test and be issued an OTSR. When he gets to Australia, the gap training and log book could easily take 12 months.

If he waits and applies for assessment in Australia, he could apply to TRA for recognition and ARTC. The process takes about 3 months. SA currently will swap an ARTC and wiring rules cert (which is 7 day course) for full license. NSW I heard wouldn't accept ARTC - not sure of process in other states, but had heard it was headed the same way as OTSR in that overseas electricians need upto 1 year supervised work.

That's as much as I know - other's may have more to add. My experience is as maintenance electrician as industrial enviroments, and with over 20 years exp. I start work on Monday after nearly 5 months in Australia - I did gap training in July, and have OTSR :)

Micetroo Aug 29th 2013 10:29 pm

Hi thanks for that he doesn't need skills assessed for visa as I have enough points so will that make a difference ? He is doing a log book in uk will that help too? Thanks

colinmaclec Aug 30th 2013 12:59 am

He wont be recognized without a full apprenticeship and a minimum of 3 yrs post trade experience. I presume this training he is doing is one of these fast track sparky courses that allows him to do domestic work?

Micetroo Aug 30th 2013 7:15 am

Hi thanks yes it is it is 2 years part time but he will be able to work as an electrician in uk with the highest qualifications when complete so he needs 3 years experience in the uk to be able to be certified in oz? are you 100% sure as this is not what we have been told?

colinmaclec Aug 30th 2013 7:48 am

A 2 year part time course does not equal a 4 year apprenticeship. Read the posts on here and you will find the information. The people running the course may say he is getting the highest qualifications but trust me he is not he will not be able to get a JIB card. I am originally from Scotland and we don't even recognize these courses there.

http://www.innovation.gov.au/skills/...Guidelines.pdf
read page 63 for TRA guidlines

colinmaclec Aug 30th 2013 7:49 am

A 2 year part time course does not equal a 4 year apprenticeship. Read the posts on here and you will find the information. The people running the course may say he is getting the highest qualifications but trust me he is not he will not be able to get a JIB card. I am originally from Scotland and we don't even recognize these courses there.

http://www.innovation.gov.au/skills/...Guidelines.pdf
read page 63 for TRA guidlines

Micetroo Aug 30th 2013 8:47 am

Hi well he will defiantly be able to get a JIB card I know that for sure.

Micetroo Aug 30th 2013 9:12 am

Also is this document is for getting a visa? He will not need a visa just a licence when we get there I guess I will have to see the licencing requirements for each state? We are going to the show at birmingham about emigrating so should find out there for sure. Thanks

colinmaclec Aug 30th 2013 9:34 am

No it is to get a provisional license which would allow you to begin gap training and he needs 7 years exp in total. One thing i will say about Australia is even though their standard is poor compared to the UK they are tight with regards to taxi drivers becoming overnight electricians.

Micetroo Aug 30th 2013 10:15 am

That sounds very judgemental and negative my husband already works In the trade he is not a taxi driver and even if he was what is so terrible about changing career? ANYONE can change career all it takes is a good positive attitude, hard work and dedication this will take him at least 2 years we know that (with one year working on be job) this wont make him any less qualified than someone who obtained the qualifications another route and surely they will go on what you can do ie. sit an exam rather than on your years of experience to give you a licence? At the end of the day if you can do the job you can do the job. Can anyone clarify this? Do you really need 7 years experience is it a Pre requisit to a licence or is it based on what you can actually do?

Jockstar Aug 30th 2013 10:35 am

Do you really need 7 years experience
When i applied for my PR. I had to prove that i worked as an electrician for 7 years. I honestly cant see the Ozzie states recognising a 2 year course with little experience. But someone may prove me wrong. But i doubt it.

Jockstar Aug 30th 2013 10:35 am

Do you really need 7 years experience
When i applied for my PR. I had to prove that i worked as an electrician for 7 years. I honestly cant see the Ozzie states recognising a 2 year course with little experience. But someone may prove me wrong. But i doubt it.

colinmaclec Aug 30th 2013 10:44 am

There is a big difference between these fast track courses and a real apprenticeship. How would you feel if the doctor carrying out your operation had only done half the training and had no experience? The majority of sparks who do 4 years training are unsure of themselves for a couple of years after they qualify as it really does come down to experience. I personally feel it is a disgrace how they allow this in England. If he has already worked in the industry for a number of years then this route to gaining the qualifications could be deemed acceptable. Sorry to disagree but I firmly believe that people need a required amount of training .

Deyan Aug 30th 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Micetroo (Post 10877564)
Do you really need 7 years experience is it a Pre requisit to a licence or is it based on what you can actually do?

Please read eligibility test on this form on the page 4.

If he can answer YES on all of the questions on the page 4 then he is eligible to get Australian trade certificate, to do the 12 months gap training and finally to get A grade license. He still needs to satisfy other requirements (read pages 1 and 2 as well)/

If he wants to proceed with the application please let him read about ARTC.

I have training and/or experience in a metal or electrical trade assessed by TRA

I have skills learned on the job OR through a mixture of formal training and on the job experience

I have completed a relevant overseas apprenticeship and, where necessary, subsequent work experience
OR

I meet specific criteria applicable to my relevant country of training
OR

I have at least six (6) years on the job experience in engineering or metal trades OR seven (7) years in an electrical trade

I have current skills and knowledge across the depth and breadth of the trade/s sought

I have sufficient English language skills to perform the work of my trade safely

If you cannot tick all of the boxes you do not meet TRA’s minimum criteria for a successful application