Retraining on oz

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Micetroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retraining on oz

Ok thanks v much for the info guess we will go for it and see have heard others have done it so sure its doable I'm going to get the visa anyway then take it from there will have 5 years after that to work it out and will get more info when we are there if we want to make the move permenant
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:17 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Micetroo
Ok thanks v much for the info guess we will go for it and see have heard others have done it so sure its doable I'm going to get the visa anyway then take it from there will have 5 years after that to work it out and will get more info when we are there if we want to make the move permenant
I have a 4 year apprenticeship, part ONC (final results not registered for some reason) and HNC, and many years of experience but was unable to get detailed references - and I was advised against trying for ARTC as I would not get it (before they imposed the rule regarding OTSR's)
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I have a 4 year apprenticeship, part ONC (final results not registered for some reason) and HNC, and many years of experience but was unable to get detailed references - and I was advised against trying for ARTC as I would not get it (before they imposed the rule regarding OTSR's)

That's strange old sparkles I have almost the exact quals as you SJIB 4 year apprenticeship and SVQ III and ONC+HNC and I had no problem getting getting my ARTC.

I do think the whole process is a bit of a lottery at times to be honest.

To the OP

I have to add my two pennyworth and say be prepared for a lot of heartache sorting out the licencing and gap training when you get here.

The system is very convoluted and everyone seems to have different interpretations of the requirements. You will even find gov departments and TAFEs giving different advice and requirements on what to do.

Personally I found PEER in Adelaide and QET (Queensland Electrical Training) More helpful and knowledgable on what to do to gain a licence than many of the government departments and Tafes.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

don't stress about all this, the man is right when he says you hubby shall need 3 years experience after all training or if he has not done a full 4 years FULL time (No part time) he shall then have to do 7 years after all training is complete that's how its been here for many years sorry to say.
if anybody tells you different they are talking shite.

try to be positive people are here to help you that's all: there's nothing wrong with changing careers lots of people do that but the main thing is they must do the required hands on work for Xxxx amount of years after all training. we all know he wont be any less qualified & he may also be very good at what he is doing but the law is the law over here & to get the full license its jumping through hoops at times.

when you apply to migrate read all the documents & then cross reference them against his skills, stay focused don't let emotions sway you keep to the requirements then if his skills or his experience is not to the requirements then wait until your both sure he has time relevant experience for the required post years experience.he wont be able to sit any exams at all until you go through the migration process once you get accepted & your here then he can apply to the local college (Tafe) to do the required top up courses in the state your going to live in. take as much advice from people on here as you can, ignore company's that are operating in the UK that's saying you can do there course over there & then get a full license when you get here that simply wont happen.

So if he has not done the 4 years apprenticeship on a full time basis, he shall need 7 years experience & after all training & that means working full time after training in the UK.

your only just starting to enter the mine field, imagine when you get here he wont be able to work as a spark until her gets the full electrical license & that takes a lot of time i can assure you. remember one step at a time & ASK people on here they are fantastic people.

Arthur in melbourne

PS
what state would you like to reside in if i can ask
Old Sep 12th 2013, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

AVA2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it was a couple of years ago, I was told by ARTC that although I started my apprenticeship and never finished it I would qualify for ARTC cert through completing the training program for a electrical crafts person and being employed for more than 4 years.
I basically started apprenticeship and got laid off as the company went bust. I went working as a electricians mate a few months later and paid to go to nightschool where I completed the exact qualifications as you would in a apprenticeship ie. c&g 2360 pt 1&2, nvq level 3 which JIB also recognise.
So if your partner is doing these quals I would have thought he will qualify for a ARTC after 4 years experience including training.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:57 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AVA2009
Although it was a couple of years ago, I was told by ARTC that although I started my apprenticeship and never finished it I would qualify for ARTC cert through completing the training program for a electrical crafts person and being employed for more than 4 years.
I basically started apprenticeship and got laid off as the company went bust. I went working as a electricians mate a few months later and paid to go to nightschool where I completed the exact qualifications as you would in a apprenticeship ie. c&g 2360 pt 1&2, nvq level 3 which JIB also recognise.
So if your partner is doing these quals I would have thought he will qualify for a ARTC after 4 years experience including training.

Correct me if I am wrong.
The problems now are that you cannot apply for an ARTC from overseas, you must do OTSR and satisfy those requirements. Once you have an OTSR you cannot apply for ARTC until you have completed the requirements for the OTSR gap training.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

If he completes the c&g 2330 and NVQ at level 3 with 4 years experience, that should satisfy the below quote from the criteria and guidelines on the ARTC website.
So should be able to apply for ARTC and miss out the OTSR.
Do you agree??

2. completed the training program for an electrical craftsman prescribed by any Industry Training Board approved by the Central Trades Committee, including successful completion of appropriate formal training,3 received the Craftsman's Certificate and had a period of employment experience on work ordinarily performed by a tradesperson in that classification2 which,togetherwiththeperiodoftraining,totalsnotles sthan4years;
Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi my husband is doing the full electrician course with olci he will have the 17th edition and will be doing a written exam at the end to make him testing and inspection qualified. Does anyone know what he will need to do to convert to electrician in oz as I am being told different things from 5 mins to 12 months! Thanks
17th Edition and the 2391 inspection and testing is not enough to be considered for a ARTC. It will have to be the craftsman certificate which I believe is the c&g 2330 level 3 or btec level 3 along with NVQ level 3 and will have to have at least 4 years experience.

The 17th edition and inspection and testing are a waste of time to be honest as they are not recognised in Australia and will have to do the Australian equivalent when he eventually gets his Australian licence.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

It's c & g 2357 and nvq 3 that he is doing would that qualify?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

It's c & g 2357 and nvq 3 that he is doing would that qualify?
Micetroo:
he would still need 4 x years on the job experience even with the above qualifications
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Hi that is great thank you much better than 7!
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi that is great thank you much better than 7!

4 x years if server an apprenticeship if not then its 7 x years post training