Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Thanks wendy for the help.

regards

arthur
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

PAYNESINOZ has a brilliant futurePAYNESINOZ has a brilliant futurePAYNESINOZ has a brilliant futurePAYNESINOZ has a brilliant futurePAYNESINOZ has a brilliant futurePAYNESINOZ has a brilliant futurePAYNESINOZ has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi, Im in the process of getting my visa for OZ and have just done my medicals. I am classed as an electrical engineer in the UK and i work on industrial machinery, to include fault finding and rectifying, plc programming, preventative maintenance etc etc, i do not wire houses/work on domestic installations or the like.
I have been awarded my ARTC to be collected in Australia upon arrival and i have posted on the Australia forums to try to work out what type of license, if any, i need to apply for upon collecting my ARTC. According to workplace.gov.au, they list an 's' class as someone who does the sort of work i do, however they don't say if i need to do any exams to get it.
Is there anyone here that has migrated to OZ doing the sort of work i do? and if so can they shed any light on the matter?

Regards, Simpy
HI PRESSUME FROM YOUR LAST MESSAGE THAT YOUR ARE IN OZ BY NOW, CAN YOU UPDATE US ALL ON THIS SUBJECT:

MY APPRENTICESHIP WAS MOSTLY ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS, DOMESTIC COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL. WENT ONTO 14 YEARS IN PROCESS CONTROL PLC PNEUMATICS AND FAULT FINDING. I CAN GO INTO EITHER CATERGORY INSTALLATION OR PROCESS CONTROLS. IF I GO INTO PROCESS CONTROL EMPLOYED, DO YOU KNOW IF I NEED TO GET ANY CERTIFICATE TO WORK IN THIS FIELD. ANY HELP NOW YOU ARE IN OZ WOULD BE OF HELP. MANY THANKS GLENN PAYNE
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PAYNESINOZ
HI PRESSUME FROM YOUR LAST MESSAGE THAT YOUR ARE IN OZ BY NOW, CAN YOU UPDATE US ALL ON THIS SUBJECT:

MY APPRENTICESHIP WAS MOSTLY ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS, DOMESTIC COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL. WENT ONTO 14 YEARS IN PROCESS CONTROL PLC PNEUMATICS AND FAULT FINDING. I CAN GO INTO EITHER CATERGORY INSTALLATION OR PROCESS CONTROLS. IF I GO INTO PROCESS CONTROL EMPLOYED, DO YOU KNOW IF I NEED TO GET ANY CERTIFICATE TO WORK IN THIS FIELD. ANY HELP NOW YOU ARE IN OZ WOULD BE OF HELP. MANY THANKS GLENN PAYNE
Hi Glenn,
Have a look here m8http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389348

Basically, you can find work in Maintenance without the licence but they are very small companies who offer low pay and low working conditions. The bigger companies ALL want licences. There is work available in both fields, seems to be a lot more work though for the 'housebashers', but all depends on which route you wanna take.
I haven't started the course yet and i too, like you, did installations as an apprentice. I didn't submit this info when applying for my ARTC as it was a long time ago, and was awarded 'electrical fitter'. From what i can tell though, both 'fitters' and 'mechanics' do the same course and same exams. I will try to get hold of the course tutor and clarify this, cos if its true, then may as well get reclassified by submitting my installations work, at least that way will have the choice of more jobs.
All the jobs that i have gone for, for maintenance spark, have not asked for which classification, just wanted a licence.
Will get back when i have managed to speak to someone, hopefully before course starts.

Simpy
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi Glenn,
Have a look here m8http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389348

Basically, you can find work in Maintenance without the licence but they are very small companies who offer low pay and low working conditions. The bigger companies ALL want licences. There is work available in both fields, seems to be a lot more work though for the 'housebashers', but all depends on which route you wanna take.
I haven't started the course yet and i too, like you, did installations as an apprentice. I didn't submit this info when applying for my ARTC as it was a long time ago, and was awarded 'electrical fitter'. From what i can tell though, both 'fitters' and 'mechanics' do the same course and same exams. I will try to get hold of the course tutor and clarify this, cos if its true, then may as well get reclassified by submitting my installations work, at least that way will have the choice of more jobs.
All the jobs that i have gone for, for maintenance spark, have not asked for which classification, just wanted a licence.
Will get back when i have managed to speak to someone, hopefully before course starts.

Simpy

I think the fitter/mechanic thing is only an issue in some states (don't quote me on that though )

I know in Queensland a fitter can not connect to the mains and a mechanic can. Therefore the mechanic is going to earn more as they have more responsibility.

Here is South Australia they have changed the licencing a little over the past few years and instead of A class etc, they only have restricted and unrestricted. Now to apply for your unrestricted licence here you just need an ARTC cert (either mechanic or fitter) and a pass in the wiring rules.

It would be so much easier if all the states were the same
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

dito
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

andy1469 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i'm very new to all this just in the early stages of looking into the possibility of moving to OZ, as i have no trade (just retail experience) we are hopeing to qualify through my wifes qualifications and i am starting a college course in electrics and plumbing bla bla bla.
I was only wondering if i get the basic qualifications (city and guilds) level 1,2 and so on will this allow me or even qualify me to take the A class in aus, although i will only have around 12 months practical (pre arranged domestic work)
if so how much does the class 'a' cost and how long is the course.

cheers Andy
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy1469
hi i'm very new to all this just in the early stages of looking into the possibility of moving to OZ, as i have no trade (just retail experience) we are hopeing to qualify through my wifes qualifications and i am starting a college course in electrics and plumbing bla bla bla.
I was only wondering if i get the basic qualifications (city and guilds) level 1,2 and so on will this allow me or even qualify me to take the A class in aus, although i will only have around 12 months practical (pre arranged domestic work)
if so how much does the class 'a' cost and how long is the course.

cheers Andy
Have a look here for the relevant time scale you may need to be doing your electrical trade for to qualify...http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oAustralia.htm
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Bloody hell you took your time i waited atleast 3 mins for that reply.A little quicker next time!!!!!

Thanks very much.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy1469
Bloody hell you took your time i waited atleast 3 mins for that reply.A little quicker next time!!!!!

Thanks very much.

Hi Andy, you'd need 7 years experience for an ARTC certificate. I think you'd be best waiting until you get here to do any Electrical or Plumbing course as you would probably have to do a course here anyway
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:19 am
Just Joined

I was thinking that my self wendy
only my wife will be in the same boad as me. In 2 years from now she will graduate and not have any work experience, so i am still try'na find ways around this (possibly friends givin me references) but not sure if i wanna do that. arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhh i just dont no.

also when ive done a basic test sto see if we can go on a trade basis some ask for 1 year experience as a plumber ( i am doing both courses in sept)

thanks for your reply