British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Renewable Energy in Oz - any action? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/renewable-energy-oz-any-action-555769/)

Sean101 Aug 17th 2008 2:10 pm

Renewable Energy in Oz - any action?

Hi all...

I'm just wondering what the Renewables industry is like in Oz? I'm particularly interested in Solar PV (electric). I'm a spark and I've been trying to get into the industry in UK but there's not much demand here.

Arriving in Melbourne in a couple of weeks. Is there much uptake of Solar in Oz? Do many newbuilds or renovations have solar arrays? Do you see many panels on rooves while driving around? Is there a good government grant for stuff like this? Are the companies that do it busy enough?

I'd be grateful for any info. Got my quals for it. Cheers, Sean.

rabsody Aug 18th 2008 8:58 am

Re: Renewable Energy in Oz - any action?

Originally Posted by Sean101 (Post 6687978)
Hi all...

I'm just wondering what the Renewables industry is like in Oz? I'm particularly interested in Solar PV (electric). I'm a spark and I've been trying to get into the industry in UK but there's not much demand here.

Arriving in Melbourne in a couple of weeks. Is there much uptake of Solar in Oz? Do many newbuilds or renovations have solar arrays? Do you see many panels on rooves while driving around? Is there a good government grant for stuff like this? Are the companies that do it busy enough?

I'd be grateful for any info. Got my quals for it. Cheers, Sean.

Hi Sean

They were getting more popular but the recent new government took the rebate away in the last budget and now I believe sales have plummeted and some firms have gone under. It's not all doom and gloom though, I suspect they are likely to reinstate this rebate further down the line (they have promised to look at it, and they are eager to be perceived as "green").

As far as I know new builds don't have to be fitted for solar, but I could be wrong. I know quite a few people were getting them put on new builds for at least heating their pools.

Google 'Labour party' and 'solar rebate' and you should get a fuller picture.

Hope that helps!

Rab

Wendy Aug 19th 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Renewable Energy in Oz - any action?

South Australia have just introduced a Solar rebate for home owners. We also have the first solar powered bus here :thumbsup:

We are also the only state that will be banning plastic bags - yes I know that's nothing to do with Electric, but it does show that our state takes Global Warming seriously and that it is open to new ideas. So take a look at SA and it's policies and ideas for solar power now and in the future :)