Red Seal Electrician Exam

Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice
Default Red Seal Electrician Exam

Hi

We are just about to order the Canadian Code Book Part 1 and also the ESAT CD from the CSA for my hubby to start studying for the Electrician Red Seal Exam in Alberta.

Could someone kindly please clarify these would be the right ones to order or would there be any further study books which he would need?

Also, would anyone know whether we will need to pay customs/import duty when we receive them in the UK from Canada? If we are going to get stung for a huge fee, we would like to be prepared for it so its not too much of a shock!!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Julie
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:22 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Red Seal Electrician Exam

Julie

i cant remember anyone saying that they got stung on import taxes
we ordered some from ontario and never paid import charges

If you do a search on forum member journeyman electrician he has done some pointers for electricians in alberta

good luck
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice

Thanks for that...I'll check on the forum for him.

Out of interest have you taken the exam yourself? If so, how did you find it?

Thanks

J
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:16 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hubby hasnt taken the test yet as we are waiting till we get there.

He has been passed off with the AAIT and has the paperwork to say he must take the exam within 12mths or 6mths after arriving on a TWP

We arrive in a few weeks, so i may get hubby to advise what the industrial electricians licence is like.
if you do a search under journeymans user id, then it will come back with some posts that he has done

Good Luck
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

jollyrogers is an unknown quantity at this point

The Apprentice package from CSA is the right one, You will not stung on import duty to the uk.
The ESAT cd-rom has full mock exams on it with 110 questions in 3 hours, my advice is that you should be looking at getting +85% consistantly on these exams to stand a chance at passing the real thing. In the exam points are deducted for a wrong answer so you need to have a few points to cover these, the pass mark is 70%. I was told that it's 50% Code and 50% Trade skill question...seems about right.
I passed my red seal in september 2005 and work as an industrial electrician in Calgary, well for the next week anyway as we're moving to BC.
Regards
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jollyrogers
The Apprentice package from CSA is the right one, You will not stung on import duty to the uk.
The ESAT cd-rom has full mock exams on it with 110 questions in 3 hours, my advice is that you should be looking at getting +85% consistantly on these exams to stand a chance at passing the real thing. In the exam points are deducted for a wrong answer so you need to have a few points to cover these, the pass mark is 70%. I was told that it's 50% Code and 50% Trade skill question...seems about right.
I passed my red seal in september 2005 and work as an industrial electrician in Calgary, well for the next week anyway as we're moving to BC.
Regards
Thanks for the advice. The only thing we keep hearing contradicting adivce about is whether to do the exam first as most employers are reluctant to take you on without it OR get a job for the experience before the exam as some people say without the experience you would find it extremely hard to pass - any thoughts on that?

Hubby is an industrial/maintenance electrician over here and we are looking to move to the Calgary area - do you have any pointers or names of companies which might be worth contacting?

Thanks