Re-train as Electrician

Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re-train as Electrician

Originally Posted by minty01
Every company has a tit and your company has exceeded itself.
Take it you work for yourself
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Re-train as teacher 6 months
Re-train as a plumber 6 weeks
Re-train as a joiner 6 weeks
Re-train as an electrician 6 weeks
Re-train as a tiler 1 week

The country is re-train mad, that was the point of the thread not to slag off people who have re-trained, just looking for an opinion. But keep up the big up yer selves banter, its comical!
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jasonlec

The country is re-train mad, that was the point of the thread not to slag off people who have re-trained, just looking for an opinion. But keep up the big up yer selves banter, its comical!
I seem to remember you were the one who started slagging us off, anyway must get ready for my x-factor audition
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

minty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really nice

Winding up little tea boys 6 Minutes.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

i'm in two minds on this argument as i agree with jason on the 4 year apprenticeship but i didn't do mine till i was 22 and i feel i was a hell of a lot maturer and better than the little wankers i went to college with and was only there to learn about electrics (not how shit sunderland afc are-their own words) while serving my time i worked with 'boil in the bag' sparks who didn't have a clue unless using twin + earth but also worked with ex forces sparks who were mostly spot on so i guess im view is short courses for ex servicemen who have worked within the trade is ok but your average joe needs to **** right off
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

i have 29 years in the electrical field and not once been on a site, does that make me a crap electrician, i have a full A grade licence here in Australia and i am employed by a global company due to my electrical knowledge, i have not done an apprenticeship.

They're are good and bad both ways, just don't slag someone off because thet didn't follow your route.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello All,

i have 29 years in the electrical field and not once been on a site, does that make me a crap electrician, i have a full A grade licence here in Australia and i am employed by a global company due to my electrical knowledge, i have not done an apprenticeship.

They're are good and bad both ways, just don't slag someone off because thet didn't follow your route.

Regards

Kevin
Well said!!!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:55 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Handbags @ Dawn

Jeez guys I knew I should have checked into this thread earlier, things are really hotting up in here

Keep up the debate...

So In your personel opinion what do you feel is the better route to take to become a fully qualified Electrician ?

Dougie
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

DOUGIE AN LOUISE;

some of the skill centers do the training for people it works out over 12 months for the same time an Apprentice would actually do, of course there is no compensation for on site training with people. however i have seen some very decent people come through the government training schemes the ones who did the 12 month full time training.

all they was short of was some experience & i would say some of them are better that what we call time served, i have also seen some real cabbages come through after the 6 week course, i worked with one who had done that some 25 years before i met him then i had to work with him he was a disaster, but i have also worked with a few that's been on the 12 month course they seem really switched on, but it all depends on the person if they are willing to learn then all is well if not it can be a nightmare for all.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ar007/rofl.gif Handbags @ Dawn

Jeez guys I knew I should have checked into this thread earlier, things are really hotting up in here

Keep up the debate...

So In your personel opinion what do you feel is the better route to take to become a fully qualified Electrician ?

Dougie
Dougie I would have to agree the conventional time served apprentice way is better from an experience gained point of view and by far the route I would have prefered to choose instead of the steeper learning curve that I have done however in my cases and I'm sure in many others it's just not possible due to financial commitments etc.

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
DOUGIE AN LOUISE;

some of the skill centers do the training for people it works out over 12 months for the same time an Apprentice would actually do, of course there is no compensation for on site training with people. however i have seen some very decent people come through the government training schemes the ones who did the 12 month full time training.

all they was short of was some experience & i would say some of them are better that what we call time served, i have also seen some real cabbages come through after the 6 week course, i worked with one who had done that some 25 years before i met him then i had to work with him he was a disaster, but i have also worked with a few that's been on the 12 month course they seem really switched on, but it all depends on the person if they are willing to learn then all is well if not it can be a nightmare for all.
Thanks for this comment Pom it highlights everything I was trying to say, I had some complete cabbages on my course and I dare say hopefully they are stacking shelves now in ASDA but there were some really good lads who, like myselves have the initiative to do really well and the only gaps are remaining to be filled with experience which can only be gained on-the-job.
I've been at it 4 years now and don't regret a single day of it although I do prefer industrial work to house bashing but I'll take it as it comes
Canada beckons now along with another steep learning curve but I'm used to it now!!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ar007/rofl.gif Handbags @ Dawn

Keep up the debate...

Dougie
Fight fight fight!

Personel opinion I like the old fashioned 4 year way.

Also have no problem with the year on site supervision if you go the vetts way when you reach oz, I think that speaks volumes about some of the standards that have been set by uk schemes. When I did the vetts tests we all also had an informal kind of interview, re type of works you had done,how long you had been in the trade, did you serve an apprenticeship etc.

This debate was more to do with the situation in the uk compared to oz, ie will they allow people to re-train as an electrician in a short course route?
Personel opinion NIC domestic installer/ part p = pants, all i get when I part p is a c & l.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

minty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really nice

Jason you seem to think that everyone who has not done an aprentice has done a 6 week course and then without any site expereance just decided to go it alone. I doubt if there is relisticly many people out there who manage to earn a living of the back of a 6 week course. You need proper qualifications and the training and experiance that goes with them and this no matter what age you are takes time.

This can be done at any stage in life and by anyone and does not have to go down a low paid aprenticship route. The end result if done properly is the same ie, fully qualified and a JIB card.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by minty01
Jason you seem to think that everyone who has not done an aprentice has done a 6 week course and then without any site expereance just decided to go it alone. I doubt if there is relisticly many people out there who manage to earn a living of the back of a 6 week course. You need proper qualifications and the training and experiance that goes with them and this no matter what age you are takes time.

This can be done at any stage in life and by anyone and does not have to go down a low paid aprenticship route. The end result if done properly is the same ie, fully qualified and a JIB card.
Erm, how do you get your on site experience then, trial & error?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:44 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem,

Whats wrong with doing a 2 year evening class at college to get the full qualification then doing a 2-3 years on site getting the valuable experience post qulification? I didn't take this route but think it is unfair to compare this with a 6 week intensive course and I think the JIB and unions are responsible for any drop in rates as they do not have any provision for categorising this route into the trade that so many follow now that apprenticeships are like rocking horse poo.

I was lucky to do a structured apprenticeship with specific goals, skills and assessments alloted to each week over 4 years but I've since seen a few apprentices that amble through 4 years on site doing day release for the college qualification and don't know sh@t from butter at the end of it all - it cracks me up when I hear sparks talking about sweeping up and making the tea for their first year. I suppose the quality of apprenticeships is too varied for me to fully endorse this as the 'best' route but I think is is far more failsafe.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Erm, how do you get your on site experience then, trial & error?
By working on site like i said i held down two jobs but it was not a recognised apprenticship.

F*&k me your stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.