Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Prob stupid question fro self employed sparky wanting to go OZ

Prob stupid question fro self employed sparky wanting to go OZ

Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

AliRon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prob stupid question fro self employed sparky wanting to go OZ

Hi,
Im new here so please bear with me. My husband and I have decided we woudl like to emigrate to Oz with our daughter. He is an elecrtician but has been self employed for the last 12 months. After speaking to an agent yesterday he was told he has enough points for the Skilled Visa but the only problem is that in the first 6 months of business he made a loss and this would look bad. Otherwise everything seems fine.
We can easily make his books look much better for financial year 08/09 but I was wondering if anyone else had delt with this and how much better do they mean? We dont fancy giving our australian savings to the tax man if you know what I mean
Cheers
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prob stupid question fro self employed sparky wanting to go OZ

I think you'll be assessed on your sparkying capabilities rather than your business success, besides 1 year is such a short period of time for any company to be judged on, what do they expect??!
Its all $$$ in the pot to Vetessass, quite a lot of them too

Good luck!!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:02 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliRon
Hi,
Im new here so please bear with me. My husband and I have decided we woudl like to emigrate to Oz with our daughter. He is an elecrtician but has been self employed for the last 12 months. After speaking to an agent yesterday he was told he has enough points for the Skilled Visa but the only problem is that in the first 6 months of business he made a loss and this would look bad. Otherwise everything seems fine.
We can easily make his books look much better for financial year 08/09 but I was wondering if anyone else had delt with this and how much better do they mean? We dont fancy giving our australian savings to the tax man if you know what I mean
Cheers
i agree with jonsparx your assessed on your electrical accreditation only

any fool knows that almost every bussiness looses brass in the first yr
it really wont be relavant to your application so i cannot see why the agent has even said it, who are they ?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replys.
It was concept Australia - one guy he spoke to was really confident and then this other bloke came in and spread the doom and gloom about the books!! I must amit I thought the same as you both did maybe he was just over reacting a bit.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys.
It was concept Australia - one guy he spoke to was really confident and then this other bloke came in and spread the doom and gloom about the books!! I must amit I thought the same as you both did maybe he was just over reacting a bit.
why do you need an agent ??
most of the proccess is online now if you havnt already handed over the brass i`d be looking here

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cf...a_how_to_apply

that and asking the guys questions / for help on here

good luck mate

regards steve
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

some people think if they have an agent that things go quicker i would not agree with that, if a person is well organized they can do it all them self i know its hard work during the application time line but in the end they can say i did it myself & got through it all.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Unfortunatley we have already paid him a deposit but to be honest when we discussed we realised we just wouldnt have the time to focus on it properly and we would probably never end up doing it or keep doing it wrong and never get there! As he is working practically 7 days a week and I work 8-6 for 5 days a week and spend the other two with our daughter and trying to sort the home out time is not something we really have!
I know it probably sounds like a naff excuse but we both knew that really that was the best way for us.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:05 am
Worongary

Unfortunatley we have already paid him a deposit but to be honest when we discussed we realised we just wouldnt have the time to focus on it properly and we would probably never end up doing it or keep doing it wrong and never get there! As he is working practically 7 days a week and I work 8-6 for 5 days a week and spend the other two with our daughter and trying to sort the home out time is not something we really have!
I know it probably sounds like a naff excuse but we both knew that really that was the best way for us.
if you need any help with the references etc just ask

regards steve
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

dobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to all

ali/ron. i am (or was) a self employed sparks. vetassess couldnt give a hoot about it. immigration asked me for some references and company stationary etc cos i havent worked paye for 5 years so i have no real employment history. they just wanted to ensure that i had been working as a sparks for the qualifying period.
vetassess, as has been mentioned previously, are only wanting you to show your skills "hands on" which in turn gives the green light to proceed to the immigration dept.

steve'o s thread about the practical testing is (practically) a bible for the tests. there's links and comments covering just about everything theyre likely to throw at you. most of the people that took the assessment in july found it very very usefull.

thanks again to steve, will add some karma but you have soo much already

dobaman
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that - its put our minds a rest a bit. Its all so worrying!! Im sure we will both be on here plenty of times asking questions as we have such a long way to go yet!

Cheers for all our help