British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Practical With Vic Uni (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/practical-vic-uni-868440/)

outlawtorn Nov 25th 2015 11:03 am

Practical With Vic Uni

Hi all, Just sat my electrical practical through victoria Uni On monday. Was first one held in South australia at Tafe. So just thought i would give a quick run down of the day as there has been some good info on here. Was basically same as other have said.

First off We sat down and did the paper work. Risk Assessments of the tasks to be performed in the day. Then we did the theory exam which was all multiple choice and fairly straight forward, Ohms law Power calculations, Resistors in series and parallel Rms peak voltage. We had no formula sheet so had to remember but there was nothing complicated. THen had to design the installation and draw circuit consisting of socket outlet, Two way lighting, And Heater. Then we had to draw the DOL starter for 3 phase motor inc motor power circuit with one stop start. THen add another stop start station to the circuit.
First practical Was to hook up a dc circuit with resistors in series and parallel from a drawing. Then test voltage drop across each resistor and current. Then calculate the figures for two more resistors of unknown value.
Second practical Was to connect the dol circuit in star to motor add second stop start. Assesor checks operation after each stage. Then puts fault on you have to find it.
3rd practical was to test a motors windings and insulation resistance Ours had a fault to earth.
4th practical Was the installation of lighting circuit etc in a cubicle with pvc conduit etc then test.
5th practical was then the Safe disconnect of a Water Heater and reconnection.

Was a verry long day And took us till way past our finish time to complete. said they might shorten it for next time. The assessors where good guys and went better than i epected

old.sparkles Nov 26th 2015 1:41 am

Re: Practical With Vic Uni

Originally Posted by outlawtorn (Post 11802292)
Hi all, Just sat my electrical practical through victoria Uni On monday. Was first one held in South australia at Tafe. So just thought i would give a quick run down of the day as there has been some good info on here. Was basically same as other have said.

First off We sat down and did the paper work. Risk Assessments of the tasks to be performed in the day. Then we did the theory exam which was all multiple choice and fairly straight forward, Ohms law Power calculations, Resistors in series and parallel Rms peak voltage. We had no formula sheet so had to remember but there was nothing complicated. THen had to design the installation and draw circuit consisting of socket outlet, Two way lighting, And Heater. Then we had to draw the DOL starter for 3 phase motor inc motor power circuit with one stop start. THen add another stop start station to the circuit.
First practical Was to hook up a dc circuit with resistors in series and parallel from a drawing. Then test voltage drop across each resistor and current. Then calculate the figures for two more resistors of unknown value.
Second practical Was to connect the dol circuit in star to motor add second stop start. Assesor checks operation after each stage. Then puts fault on you have to find it.
3rd practical was to test a motors windings and insulation resistance Ours had a fault to earth.
4th practical Was the installation of lighting circuit etc in a cubicle with pvc conduit etc then test.
5th practical was then the Safe disconnect of a Water Heater and reconnection.

Was a verry long day And took us till way past our finish time to complete. said they might shorten it for next time. The assessors where good guys and went better than i epected

I did my prac with vic uni in Melbourne a couple of years back and the test sounds unchanged which is what I would expect.

When do you get your results?

outlawtorn Nov 26th 2015 6:16 am

Not sure think i read somewhere in 10 days think that was vetassess though. Seemed to go well so hopes are high :)

old.sparkles Nov 26th 2015 6:25 am

Originally Posted by outlawtorn (Post 11802796)
Not sure think i read somewhere in 10 days think that was vetassess though. Seemed to go well so hopes are high :)

:fingerscrossed:

outlawtorn Dec 4th 2015 7:52 am

:thumbsup: Finally got my results, All good passed :thumbsup:

old.sparkles Dec 5th 2015 12:16 am

Originally Posted by outlawtorn (Post 11807743)
:thumbsup: Finally got my results, All good passed :thumbsup:

Congratulations - next step visa application?

james657659 Aug 22nd 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Practical at Peer in Adelaide

Hi all. Has anyone done the practical 'trades test' at Peer in Adelaide?
I'm going to have to go though an RPL process (rather than OSTR) as I'm already in an electrical job in Australia but I reckon the prac test component will be the same.
Any tips on what things are tested would be much appreciated.
Cheers
James

old.sparkles Aug 22nd 2016 11:06 pm

Re: Practical at Peer in Adelaide

Originally Posted by james657659 (Post 12032125)
Hi all. Has anyone done the practical 'trades test' at Peer in Adelaide?
I'm going to have to go though an RPL process (rather than OSTR) as I'm already in an electrical job in Australia but I reckon the prac test component will be the same.
Any tips on what things are tested would be much appreciated.
Cheers
James

I did my gap training with Peer - the guys are really helpful but no idea on the RPL, sorry.