Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Question Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Hey Guys!

My OH failed his test in February and has his test rebooked for July 14th in Blackburn....

We've emailed Vetassess to see what he will actually have to retake and the response we got was:

"please be advised that you will only need to complete the units that you were previously unsuccessful in. However, these units may overlap other units that you were previously successful in, however, you will still only be assessed on your unsuccessful units"

But i've also heard from other people including some one at Vetassess that they may make you do the whole test again and was told to revise everything again even tho you've only failed certain units!

Im just wondering how other peoples re-takes went and if you had to retake the entire exam. Theres enough pressure on someone doing the exam the first time, let alone doing it again and not having a clue what's to be expected.....

My OH failed on:

Embedded Units - Apply OHS practises in the workplace
Competency Group 4 Maintain documentation - Document occupational hazards and risks .... & .... verify compliance and functionality of general electric installations....

The assers feedback was that he failed to apply safe disconnect reconect procedures but was competent in other areas.........

With this being the only thing he failed on, do you think it will prob be just the dis/reconnect he will have to retake again...???

Sorry for the long messsage - but any feedback would be grateful!

Thanks!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kirby Reynolds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Originally Posted by BonnieH
Hey Guys!

My OH failed his test in February and has his test rebooked for July 14th in Blackburn....

We've emailed Vetassess to see what he will actually have to retake and the response we got was:

"please be advised that you will only need to complete the units that you were previously unsuccessful in. However, these units may overlap other units that you were previously successful in, however, you will still only be assessed on your unsuccessful units"

But i've also heard from other people including some one at Vetassess that they may make you do the whole test again and was told to revise everything again even tho you've only failed certain units!

Im just wondering how other peoples re-takes went and if you had to retake the entire exam. Theres enough pressure on someone doing the exam the first time, let alone doing it again and not having a clue what's to be expected.....

My OH failed on:

Embedded Units - Apply OHS practises in the workplace
Competency Group 4 Maintain documentation - Document occupational hazards and risks .... & .... verify compliance and functionality of general electric installations....

The assers feedback was that he failed to apply safe disconnect reconect procedures but was competent in other areas.........

With this being the only thing he failed on, do you think it will prob be just the dis/reconnect he will have to retake again...???

Sorry for the long messsage - but any feedback would be grateful!

Thanks!

Hi Bonnie

Sounds like its the safe isolation and probably something on the power and lighting installation/paper work etc. Feel sorry for you, because i think its just down to the assessor you get for the safe isolation part! The guy i had was called Eric and was real helpful with the safe isolation (disconnect/reconnect). Just make sure you learn the routine. Its in the back of the guide they send you (if you dont know that).
I heard some of the assessors let you take it in with you while others dont. Again depends who you get.

Heres the things that nearly caught me out were:
Any lables you tie on a cable thats been disconnected must have written on them the time, date, reason why been disconnected and your name. (if he makes you fill the lables out. mine just asked me what i would put on etc)

There was a Turkish guy in my group that had failed 4 times previous. he had to do everything again from the written paper, installation on the board, start stop control circuit, resistors in series and parrell, test and inspect to safe isolation at the end. But to be fair he really did not know what he was doing. Eric the assessor caught him taking the main earth out the light switch to his main earth in the consumer unit??????????

I think he failed again. You may see him there next time. Good luck

and if it helps i dont think your OH was far off passing.

Let me know how you get on

Good luck

Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

BonnieH;

here is a procedure i wrote for people doing the disconnect reconnect if you need help just ask me

Procedure for disconnection of Electrical Appliance

1 Notify all relevant persons of the intended work to be carried out
: Maintenance Staff.

2 Check with the company you are working for any required
: Permits to Work, and Relevant paper work .for disconnection of appliance & reconnect of appliance from relevant staff.
: Check the estimated time of disconnection of equipment.

3 Check with maintenance staff to ensure NO Essential Services shall be affected. (Example) Fire Pumps, Emergency Lifts, Smoke and Emergency Lighting+ Fire Fighting Equipment.
5 Check for disruption of 3 phase loading (NO Single Phasing of Equipment)
Single phasing = disconnection of 1 phase increases loading on apparatus.

5 Trace circuit to be disconnected to the Isolation Point.
: Isolated = Completely Disconnected.
: Isolated and Earthed = Circuit is Dead and cables connected together.
: Trace circuit back to isolation point.

6 Identify any Isolation devices.
(Example) Fuses, Circuit Breakers, Switches, Switchboards.

Procedure for Start of Test
7 : Calibrate all test equipment.
: From a good known Earth reference point: test the Voltmeter.
: Test for any LIVE Equipment to a good known Earth.
: The testing device records results that may operate the Protective devices.
: From the Earth reference point provided check all steelwork on the apparatus under test and scrape away “Paintwork” Using the Volt meter provided check for ZERO Volts on the Meter.

: Always test Volt Meter provided before and After every part of all testing.
: Do not forget to use the Earth Reference Point Provided by the Examining Body.

8 Tag all Areas of intended disconnection.
: When the appliance you are working on is Disconnected Tag all cables.
: Tag off switchboard in a SAFE Position.
: Locate correct fuses or circuit breaker & remove fuses from the fuse carrier and
: Tag fuse carrier
: Record your name and contact details on relevant Tag.
: Record relevant department information, (date, time) company you have been employed by onto Tag of disconnection.
: All Tagged equipment must be signed by the qualified person performing the disconnection of the apparatus.
: Replace “Empty” fuse carriers into switchboard line.

9 Actual Disconnection of Apparatus. If this is a motor
: Switch on apparatus and record D.O.R. (Direction of Rotation)
: Move the switch to the on position and check rotation of motor shaft.
: Record all information of Name Plate provided.
: Remove Fuses 1 at a time and test for Live Voltage on contacts at point of disconnection (Joint Box) at Appliance.

9 (a) : Test between all combinations for LIVE Voltage using the Volt Meter.
: Test Actives to Earth.
: Test Actives to Neutral.
: Test all combinations of L1, L2, L3. if Three Phase.
: Test Neutral and Earth.
Record all Test Results.

(Note) : Before removal of fuses from switchboard (Procedure)
1 : Ensure correct safety clothing is worn.
2 : Visually inspect the area you intent to isolate.
3 : Visually inspect protective devices (Fuses, Fuse Carriers, circuit breakers)
4 : With arm straight one hand in pocket (For safety)
6 : Look away while extracting fuse from switchboard.
:Always Act in a Safe Manner.
7 : Before any disconnection Always test for Live Voltages.
: After disconnection of apparatus test all cables with Voltage Meter.

9 (b): Remove 1 fuse at a time from switchboard.
: Remove fuse from fuse carrier and place fuse in a secure location (pocket).
: Replace Blank fuse carrier into switchboard line.
: Record Fuse type and current rating of fuse on information card provided.
By Examining Board (Examiner).
(Note) DO Not at any time leave ANY Fuses or Elements in or at the fuse board

9 (c) : Testing at apparatus (Motor).
: After disconnection of cables test with Volt Meter.(Record any results).
: The Earth is the 1st system of protection for you.
: 1st test all Active conductors.
: 2nd test neutral conductor.
: Test Earth conductor last.
: Make a sketch of any connections L1 L2 L3 and any colour coding of active conductors if cables are all the same colour at the motor then use identifying tape to distinguish L1 L2 L3.
: Record if motor winding are wired in Star or Delta on nameplate.
: Tape all cables with insulation tape each cable must have a minimum of 4 wraps of insulation tape completely covering all exposed conductors.
: For mechanical protection insert cables from motor into a Joint Box and tie back to protect.

11 : Enquire at all times to confirm if apparatus is to be disconnected and re connected.
12 : Enquire if you are required to submit a SAFETY CERTIFICATE.

Reconnection of Electrical Apparatus

1 : Notify all relevant persons of the intended work to be carried out

2 : Visual inspection that Tags are in place at
: ( a ) : Isolation point (Joint Box). At Appliance
: ( b ) : Contactor.
: ( c ): Switchboard.

3 : Visual check of fuses, circuit breakers have NOT been replaced by others.

4 : Remove Joint Box and insulation tape, Earth 1st. (Essential)
: Test for a good known Earth connection using the Volt Meter.
: Test for Live between Earth and all LIVE Conductors.
: Test Volt Meter for (Live or Active) reading using a good known power source.
(This test is to confirm correct functioning of Volt Meter).

“Before any connections of cables always check and test the Meter you intend to use. (This may save your LIFE).
(a) : Using a Insulation Resistance and Continuity Tester set the meter to the Ohm scale and calibrate by connecting both leads together. Record results.
(b) : Using the Resistance meter test between Earth and all parts of the apparatus under test Maximum reading not to Exceed 0.1 Ohm. Dependant on which state your in. Record all test readings.
(c) Test Rotating parts of motor (motor shaft) this reading NOT to exceed
1.ohm Resistance Maximum.

If The Test FAILS

You must inform the “examiner”

This test does not conform to the required standard and has FAILED. The resistance reading recorded on the rotating parts of the apparatus under test exceed the maximum permissible value of 0.1 Ohm. (Deepnding of State’s)

5 : Insulation Resistance Test at 500V Range setting on the Meter
: Calibrate your meter before commencing any test (set meter to zero)
The test must obtain a minimum reading of 1M/Ohm or a reading on the meter scale of Infinity.
: 1st connect the Earth lead of the test meter to the Earth conductor then connect the other test lead to each Active in turn, Record all meter readings.

6 : Check your motor schematic drawing for correct cable connection sequence then replace cables onto motor post L1 L2 L3 and tighten nuts.
7 Notify all relevant persons regarding Re Energizing Apparatus

8 : Replace all protective devices, Fuses, Circuit Breakers, in the Exact same order they were initially removed.

Sequence of Re-Inserting Protective Devices.

9( a ): Looking away from the switchboard, distribution board, insert the protective device into the Live connection.

9( b ): Lock switchboard or distribution board.
9( c ): When safe switch on the apparatus.
9( d ): Check for correct rotation of motor shaft.
9( e ): Run apparatus for a given period of time for effective functioning of apparatus.
9( f ): Complete relevant safety certification.
9( g ): The person who completes the Safety Certificate has a Maximum of 2 working days by means of electronic communication (Telephone) to lodge the safety certificate to the chief electrical inspectors office.

In Australia

The person who completed the Certificate of electrical Safety has
2 days to register a safety certificate with the energy safe of the state they live in also 4 Days to issue a safety certificate to the customer.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice

Thanks for all the info guys, il pass it on to the OH to read!!

Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

kennyheb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Hi All,
I have found this information to be very helpful. I sat the test in april at North college Glasgow, and failed on motor circuit. I found all other parts fairly straight forward but as my experience is mainly domestic motors are not something I have had experience with. .
Can anybody provide drawings showing connections and also the purpose of each terminal, as I am due to resit on the 29th July and am extremely nervous
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kirby Reynolds is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Originally Posted by kennyheb
Hi All,
I have found this information to be very helpful. I sat the test in april at North college Glasgow, and failed on motor circuit. I found all other parts fairly straight forward but as my experience is mainly domestic motors are not something I have had experience with. .
Can anybody provide drawings showing connections and also the purpose of each terminal, as I am due to resit on the 29th July and am extremely nervous
Thanks
Hi kenny in away at the min as soon as i get back i will sort some stuff for you kid!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

kennyheb;

if you do a search for a bloke called Stev'O on here he is a fantastic bloke who will be more than willing to send schematic drawings of motors & stop starts to your email address, tell him Arthur from Melbourne recommended you speak to him.
as i say he is a real decent man to communicate with
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

kennyheb is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Practical Exam Theory - ELECTRICIAN

Thanks Guys for replying I will look forward to any further information
Hows work in Australia just now? Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Hey!

Just like to say thanks for the help and advise, espeically to Pom from Oz!!

I printed out what you sent on this thread and past it onto my OH who found it really helpfull!!

He retook the test last week and he passed!!

So thanks a million guys!!!

xxx
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BonnieH;

well done to you, now the next step is get the ARTC from the UK, if you need help in what to put in the application just ask i have a document telling how to do it all, so he gets the ARTC electrical mechanic thats the best one to get
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:15 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
BonnieH;

well done to you, now the next step is get the ARTC from the UK, if you need help in what to put in the application just ask i have a document telling how to do it all, so he gets the ARTC electrical mechanic thats the best one to get
Just passed the Vetasses myself on a resit, can you only apply for the ARTC from the U.K. now or do you have to have a visa in hand?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

I need to know the same thing..........

Can we apply now..........or do we have to wait until we've got the visa?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Dodge.......congrats mate!!!

Did you get a letter or was it updated on the vetassess log in?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:41 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BonnieH
Sorry Dodge.......congrats mate!!!

Did you get a letter or was it updated on the vetassess log in?
I got an e-mail and the letter today, top news.. such a relief it has got us excited about going again..
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah know what you mean! You get on a downer when you have to do this vetassess...all the waiting... but now its over its a massive relief! ...

My agent said we can go on to get the visa now but have to have a certified letter from vetassess to say my OH passed....so im hoping they don't take as long at getting that to them as they are replying to emails!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.