practical exam theory

Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: practical exam theory

Nah nothing like that, the assessor just asked how you would wire in an extra stop or start switch. Remember - stops in series, starts in parallel. I read some of the other guys were asked questions about the hold on connection but as long as you`re familiar with the circuit you wont have much trouble.

Make sure you know how to wire the motor terminals both for star and delta connection. We didnt wire an actual motor but there is an excercise for this during the test.

Originally Posted by EssexSparks
Cheers Jon, if it's as straight forward as that I should be ok. Is the motor connected up? I've read they don't bother with that bit. And as for the fault they put on, is it just a case of seeing which part of the drawing they've messed up?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

gr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nice

Hi,

Am new to forum today.....just wanna say thxs to all those added posts about the pratical test!!!!! You have helped out my revision no end

Just a quick question regarding the DOL starter as its up in conversation at the mo.....is it a single or 3 phase??? If any of you guys can remember from last pratical, would appreciate it.

Hopefully see some of you other swotters in london on the 16th feb for pratical??

Cheers

Richie
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

IanRed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guy's
I've got my assessment in London on the 16th feb. Can any one help me by providing information or links to the following???
1.Single and three phase power calc's
2. Impedance,inductive reactance calc's
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

gr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nicegr8sparks is just really nice

Hi,

If you go back a few pages on this thread you will see some links to help with the electrcial theory side.

Otherwise, you can get 2 books that helped me from amazon or waterstones:

Electrical installation calculations vol 1 - AJ Watkins & C Kitcher

Basic electrical installation work level 2 C&G - Trevor Linsley

Im doin RLC in my sleep now!!!!!!

Cheers

Richie
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

IanRed is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheer's Richie,
Just in panic mode at the mo, left tech over 13 years ago
haven't done this stuff in ages... Thanks for the info and see you on the 16th.
cheer's ian

Last edited by IanRed; Jan 27th 2009 at 4:52 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

lbb_1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by accccjr
Hi Everyone,

I am here in New South Wales, Australia as an Electrician ( 457 visa -sponsored ) and I am scheduled to sit on my ARTC exam on the first week of February 2009. I had my assessment through the TRA, not Vetassess. My question is, will I be given the same set of theoretical and practical exams you have been discussing here?

Thanks

Alex
Hello Mate

I assumed you had your ARTC exam.So,how did you find it?are they so strict?I am having my Trade test on the 20th here in Sunchine coast .Can you please give me some ideas how the test goes?Do i need to bring all the tools and instruments just in case?

Appreciate your help with this
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:19 am
Just Joined

accccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really nice

Hi,

Tafe rescheduled my trade test on the last week of Feb. have you received a letter from TRA with the details like contact person, phone number and venue? Call them because they may have different policies in terms of gears to wear and tools to bring. My trade test is for an Electrical Fitter. They told me that scope of the test would be on baisc electrical theories, motors, motor conrols, safety and lighting. I am also waiting at the moment for the schedule of an orientation before the actual trade test.

Originally Posted by lbb_1974
Hello Mate

I assumed you had your ARTC exam.So,how did you find it?are they so strict?I am having my Trade test on the 20th here in Sunchine coast .Can you please give me some ideas how the test goes?Do i need to bring all the tools and instruments just in case?

Appreciate your help with this
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alex,

Yeah i got the TRA letter i had arranged with people from TAFE about my test schedule and my test is also for Electrical Fitter. At the moment, i am still waiting from TAFE to send me all the details of the test and orientation date prior to my test date.

I'm just curious which TAFE you will take the test? Also which country you from? I came from Philippines and was assessed as General Electrician before migrating here in OZ but you got your employer , I don't have employer when i came here but my visa is Sub class - 138 Skilled Migrant, Permanent Resident.That's why i am not sure if i can work here under supervision of licensed Electrician

Thanks for all the infos mate .Good luck to both of us

Lester(lbb_1974)
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

accccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really nice

Originally Posted by lbb_1974
Hi Alex,

Yeah i got the TRA letter i had arranged with people from TAFE about my test schedule and my test is also for Electrical Fitter. At the moment, i am still waiting from TAFE to send me all the details of the test and orientation date prior to my test date.

I'm just curious which TAFE you will take the test? Also which country you from? I came from Philippines and was assessed as General Electrician before migrating here in OZ but you got your employer , I don't have employer when i came here but my visa is Sub class - 138 Skilled Migrant, Permanent Resident.That's why i am not sure if i can work here under supervision of licensed Electrician

Thanks for all the infos mate .Good luck to both of us

Lester(lbb_1974)
Hi Lester,

I sent you a PM on this.. Alex
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Question Re: practical exam theory

Hey,

My other half is doing the test at Bolton College on Friday (20th)

He's a Leccy and obviously like most of you is nervous about the test. Can anyone explain the 'marking system'? Do you have to get everything correct in order to pass or is there a percentage you have to get right???

Thanks to everyone who has given advise on the actual day, it's really helped but if anyone knows about the marking system that would put our minds at rest as well!

Bon and Rich x
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BonnieH
Hey,

My other half is doing the test at Bolton College on Friday (20th)

He's a Leccy and obviously like most of you is nervous about the test. Can anyone explain the 'marking system'? Do you have to get everything correct in order to pass or is there a percentage you have to get right???

Thanks to everyone who has given advise on the actual day, it's really helped but if anyone knows about the marking system that would put our minds at rest as well!

Bon and Rich x
Yeah, there is a marking system for the multi choice theory test but i dont know what the pass mark is....
As for the rest of the tests, I think there is some sort of marking procedure although personally I think the assessor will judge for himself as to whether you are competent or not. GOOD LUCK!!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

God Day Dobaman,

I know you did this before and passed here in OZ.I'm doing it this friday.Are the type of test very tricky?what about the practical?

Thanks Mate

lbb_1974
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

as the dol starter website is either down or has been deleted ive found some more info re motors and starters

see attached doc

hope this is of use

steve

ps dol info here as well

http://www.wiringmanual.com/motor032.html#wp1284318
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Electrical Machines.doc (199.0 KB, 18486 views)

Last edited by steve`o; Mar 7th 2009 at 8:34 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:07 am
Just Joined

SATWINDER is an unknown quantity at this point

hi steve
this is SAtwinder Singh
my trade test is too close can u tell me what type of this test.
and what can i do to clear for this test.
i wll be very thank ful to you.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

West Sussex Si is an unknown quantity at this point

HI guys

I've got a practical booked in Blackburn in June, I live on the south coast so no too far away!!!!

I've been swatting up for a while, and it gets to a stage where the more you read the more you push out the stuff you learned in the beginning. I only have a small brain so little and often is the key.

Anyone else booked into the Blackburn assessment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.