practical exam theory

Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:00 am
Just Joined

woody2709 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: practical exam theory

At the downunder centre if you fail a part you have to resit the whole exam I believe and the assessor on the day gives you plenty of push to help you get the right answers, but won't give you them directly. Also he gives you the heads up on the day about pass or fail. Revise your college theory aswell as general electrical knowledge about how electricity works etc, and reasons for types of motor systems and your DOL diagram. This needs a remote start stop, local stop, thermal overload connected to the same coil for the contactors etc
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:03 am
Just Joined

ryan1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woody2709
At the downunder centre if you fail a part you have to resit the whole exam I believe and the assessor on the day gives you plenty of push to help you get the right answers, but won't give you them directly. Also he gives you the heads up on the day about pass or fail. Revise your college theory aswell as general electrical knowledge about how electricity works etc, and reasons for types of motor systems and your DOL diagram. This needs a remote start stop, local stop, thermal overload connected to the same coil for the contactors etc
Perfect thanks for the reply, that's the part I'm least confident about the motor most of the work I do is donestic so not much experience with motors. Although I had to wire one up in my trades test. Do you have a DOL diagram that's useful?
Thanks again
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan1992
Perfect thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with the down under centre and ask them a few more questions aswell. They also sell a book it's £50 and they recommend it if you need to brush up on anything before the assessment. Has anyone purchased this?
No, but I do industrial maintenance so the theory and motors, etc was all good. My biggest worry was the domestic testing as I didn't really do enough to know the order of the tests, best ways of getting it done quickly, etc. At the end of the day, it was worrying about nothing as was straight forward.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
No, but I do industrial maintenance so the theory and motors, etc was all good. My biggest worry was the domestic testing as I didn't really do enough to know the order of the tests, best ways of getting it done quickly, etc. At the end of the day, it was worrying about nothing as was straight forward.

No worries. Iv ordered the book from the down under centre won't hurt I suppose. Test in two weeks fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone confirm if this is the circuit diagram that you have to draw at the skill assessment. Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:32 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan1992
Can anyone confirm if this is the circuit diagram that you have to draw at the skill assessment. Thanks https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...40457aa2d8.jpg
That looks like it would work. There will be many ways to draw it though, all roughly the same. Not keen on 400V control though - I guess that would depend on the coil of the contactor given, and in practice is not something I come across regularly - particularly if sending it out to remote start / stops and that is one change you may have to make - the addition of second start/stop if asked.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

D1DAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the passed posts they helped me get the right study information and pass 👏🏻, Definitely recommend studying, all the pass posts are true and still up to date on what's required on the day.

Thanks down under centre London
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:25 am
Just Joined

shanth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hasselhoff86
Yeah I have done it in Perth 2 weeks ago, send me your email and il send you on schematic and practice questions etc..
Dear hasselhoff86, i am preparing for practical exam. can you please send me some tips which can help me. <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 8th 2017 at 11:34 am. Reason: No email addresses on the forum please
Old Nov 9th 2017, 8:44 am
Just Joined

dear friends,

My name is shanth from India, i had gone through max posts. there were discussions regarding practical exams in various countries can any one tell me pattern of exam will be same in all countries. because some countries uses 100,110 120v and in India we have 220,230,240v.

(Here we are referring to single phase AC supply for household. Where 110 V is used, 3 phase supply is usually mentioned as 220 V. Further in these countries supply frequency is 60 Hz. Synchronous speed of 2 pole motor is 3600 RPM.

Countries using 220 V / 230 V specify nominal 3 phase supply as 415 / 440 V. Supply frequency is 50 Hz. Synchronous speed of 2 Pole motor is 3000 RPM. So motor speeds are lower comparatively.

So we can see that for 110 V systems, motor speeds are more. Insulation levels are lower. So if conductor cross sections are more, insulation required is less. Further higher machine speeds also have their advantages.)

is there any one who took exam from Mumbai. can any one share their exam experience in India.

i had googled a lot but i didn't find any help.

please help me in my preparation for exam.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by shanth
dear friends,

My name is shanth from India, i had gone through max posts. there were discussions regarding practical exams in various countries can any one tell me pattern of exam will be same in all countries. because some countries uses 100,110 120v and in India we have 220,230,240v.

(Here we are referring to single phase AC supply for household. Where 110 V is used, 3 phase supply is usually mentioned as 220 V. Further in these countries supply frequency is 60 Hz. Synchronous speed of 2 pole motor is 3600 RPM.

Countries using 220 V / 230 V specify nominal 3 phase supply as 415 / 440 V. Supply frequency is 50 Hz. Synchronous speed of 2 Pole motor is 3000 RPM. So motor speeds are lower comparatively.

So we can see that for 110 V systems, motor speeds are more. Insulation levels are lower. So if conductor cross sections are more, insulation required is less. Further higher machine speeds also have their advantages.)

is there any one who took exam from Mumbai. can any one share their exam experience in India.

i had googled a lot but i didn't find any help.

please help me in my preparation for exam.
Different countries have different requirements so perhaps you could say which countries you are looking at and why? If it is for migration, google should be able to help, as will the country specific immigration website.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Different countries have different requirements so perhaps you could say which countries you are looking at and why? If it is for migration, google should be able to help, as will the country specific immigration website.
my dear old sparkels, i think u haven't read my post. i had mentioned clearly that i am from India and i am preparing for general electrician practical exam vetassess.

is there any helpful material, exam pattern or tips from the person who had attended examination in Mumbai, India.

please help in this. i had googled a lot but only in britishexpats site got these may post and discussions.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

my dear old sparkels, i think u haven't read my post. i had mentioned clearly that i am from India and i am preparing for general electrician practical exam vetassess.
Sorry, but you hadn't mentioned vetassess or the country you're looking at emigrating to at all, hence oldsparkles question. Now that he knows, he may be able to help you.

Good luck.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:03 pm

is there any helpful material, exam pattern or tips from the person who had attended examination in Mumbai, India.

please help in this. i had googled a lot but only in britishexpats site got these may post and discussions.
I think you didn't - not in the post I quoted. However, the format of the skills assessment is the same regardless of where in the world you are - if you are in an OSAP country and occupation, There is plenty of discussion on the forum for the format of the skills assessment - it will be the same if you are in the UK, or India, or any of these countries - China, Fiji, Hong Kong SAR, Ireland, Macau SAR, Philippines, South Africa, Vietnam. And there are assessing your suitability for Australia - you need to follow Australian standards.

And I am not your dear!

EDIT - sorry disregard my post - I have just seen you only want help from someone who has undertaken testing in Mumbai - good luck with that.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

I think you didn't - not in the post I quoted. However, the format of the skills assessment is the same regardless of where in the world you are - if you are in an OSAP country and occupation, There is plenty of discussion on the forum for the format of the skills assessment - it will be the same if you are in the UK, or India, or any of these countries - China, Fiji, Hong Kong SAR, Ireland, Macau SAR, Philippines, South Africa, Vietnam. And there are assessing your suitability for Australia - you need to follow Australian standards.

And I am not your dear!

EDIT - sorry disregard my post - I have just seen you only want help from someone who has undertaken testing in Mumbai - good luck with that.
Madam old.sparkles,

(i taught that this thread was created to discuss regarding practical exam theory for Australia)

Sorry, my English is not so good.

dear. (used in the salutation of a letter as an expression of affection or respect or as a conventional greeting): Dear Sir.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the mistake.

till date there were lot of discussions on this thread regarding practical exam.

you are a gladiator to this arena and you know everything about this process.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:45 pm

Madam old.sparkles,

(i taught that this thread was created to discuss regarding practical exam theory for Australia)

Sorry, my English is not so good.

dear. (used in the salutation of a letter as an expression of affection or respect or as a conventional greeting): Dear Sir.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the mistake.

till date there were lot of discussions on this thread regarding practical exam.

you are a gladiator to this arena and you know everything about this process.
It is mostly discussing the practical part of the skills assessment process for Australia, but given how you worded your post, it was not clear if this was your goal.

To be eligible for the skills process, you will need an IELTS (or similar) score of at least all 6.0's so if English is not your strong point, you might want to consider prioritising this.

All electricians who make it through the visa process need to undertake a period of supervised employment. If your English is not good enough, it will make life a lot harder.

And please, stop with the Madam, dear, etc - you can just reply and quote the post. If you have a read of the forum, you can see how people address each other, and if you must refer to me direct it is old.sparkles, sparkles or OS usually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.