British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Planning to move to NJ, USA once we're married (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/planning-move-nj-usa-once-were-married-932535/)

Clintweedon May 4th 2020 1:13 pm

Planning to move to NJ, USA once we're married

Hey everyone!
Hope everyone is staying safe!?
So I'm a South African born, British citizen been in the UK for 16 years. My fiance is American, we met here in the UK and are set to be married in the US this year in September (HOPEFULLY).

So my question is regarding working/training in the electrical engineering industry.
I am 36 and currently work as a maintenance electrician here and am looking to start training towards getting qualified as an electrical engineer.
Would I be better off starting from scratch when we get to the US?
Or is there a course I should do from here (like Open Uni or something) before I arrive to help things along?
I would also consider an apprenticeship or working as a trainee.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Clint.

ddsrph May 10th 2020 9:12 pm

Re: Planning to move to NJ, USA once we're married

Originally Posted by Clintweedon (Post 12848121)
Hey everyone!
Hope everyone is staying safe!?
So I'm a South African born, British citizen been in the UK for 16 years. My fiance is American, we met here in the UK and are set to be married in the US this year in September (HOPEFULLY).

So my question is regarding working/training in the electrical engineering industry.
I am 36 and currently work as a maintenance electrician here and am looking to start training towards getting qualified as an electrical engineer.
Would I be better off starting from scratch when we get to the US?
Or is there a course I should do from here (like Open Uni or something) before I arrive to help things along?
I would also consider an apprenticeship or working as a trainee.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Clint.

Clint I don’t work in your field but may have some useful information. Terminology is somewhat different here. An electrical engineer in the US refers to a four year degree that covers a variety of subjects from electronic circuit design to power generation and a lot in between. An electrician here means about what it means in the U.K. wiring houses and commercial buildings. Your experience will be very helpful but the electric codes here vary a lot from what you are used to. I would wait until you get here to do any further training. There is a big demand for electricians in many parts of the country and you should have no trouble getting a job. Probably some on the job training coupled with classroom or self study.