Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

pipe benders/steel conduit benders

pipe benders/steel conduit benders

Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Scratch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pipe benders/steel conduit benders

I have a set of pipe/steel conduit benders, would like some advice as to whether they are widely used so I can decide whether it is worth me bringing them or not when I come across for good later in the year.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks
Scratch
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: pipe benders/steel conduit benders

From what I gather no!

Aussies don't seem to appreciate the advantages of 20/25mm Galvanised!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andym79
From what I gather no!

Aussies don't seem to appreciate the advantages of 20/25mm Galvanised!
Sounds good to me
I hate the stuff, but allways get lumbered with the stuff!! but at least we've got electric die's now
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

Come on now steel conduit is quality stuff, and the 20mm stuff is piss easy to thread so long as you have a sharp die!

It looks neater than plastic and well I should not have to say it is much better (so long as it galvanised), how bad does a buble set look in PVC conduit! The 20mm stuff isn't hard to bend now is it!

Having said that I will not miss it.

If I had my way the whole world would use MICC cable and TNS earthing, god damn I hate PME why don't they stop with it, spend a little more and buy a lead sheath and provide a proper earth!!!!!

On that note I am still trying to determine exactly what MEN earthing is, from what I can gather its PME with an earth rod drove in the ground for safety, least thats what I understand is that true?

Last edited by andym79; Mar 26th 2007 at 3:56 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Come on now steel conduit is quality stuff, and the 20mm stuff is piss easy to thread so long as you have a sharp die!

It looks neater than plastic and well I should not have to say it is much better (so long as it galvanised), how bad does a buble set look in PVC conduit! The 20mm stuff isn't hard to bend now is it!

Having said that I will not miss it.

If I had my way the whole world would use MICC cable and TNS earthing, god damn I hate PME why don't they stop with it, spend a little more and buy a lead sheath and provide a proper earth!!!!!

On that note I am still trying to determine exactly what MEN earthing is, from what I can gather its PME with an earth rod drove in the ground for safety, least thats what I understand is that true?
OHH MICC, did some 1L70 yes single core 70mm in the 80's, needed arms like Garth to put a nice set in it, & loads of multi cores, ahh the nuclear defence industy, how I miss it
well the money anyway
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously 70mm 1 core!

Well maybe not in that sort of size I was talking upto 16mm for submains gee I haven't seen pyro that size. Thought it was just armoured for a monster like that! Government, they just don't worry about £!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

andym79, PME in australia is done at the switchboard (fusebox) the main earth & neutral have a link connecting both bars, from the earth bar you take a earth cable direct to a earth rod as close to the switchboard as possible exposed to the weather then bond it.

Its a regulation to connect the earth & nuetral bars its as simple as that, However NEVER touch a nuetral bar you will always find current there mate always.

Another bloke mentioned bringing his pipe vice forget it its mainly PVC here i know its pathetic but thats how its done also i would not bother with your Piro Gear again they hardly use it, they use a twin like twin & earth thats got a very high fire rating, and to install it all they do is clip it to the ceiling joist, its as rough as a butchers dog, the one good thing they use in australia is the RCD's safety switched they are fantastic, it takes a little time to get your head round the way they are connected here. but they are fine if i can be of any assistance just ask.

arthur in melbourne
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Seriously 70mm 1 core!

Well maybe not in that sort of size I was talking upto 16mm for submains gee I haven't seen pyro that size. Thought it was just armoured for a monster like that! Government, they just don't worry about £!
atomic weapons place near reading, everything is pyro! we used to get back to the digs & we were green! sweat & copper dont go well together
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:35 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scratch
I have a set of pipe/steel conduit benders, would like some advice as to whether they are widely used so I can decide whether it is worth me bringing them or not when I come across for good later in the year.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks
Scratch
i brought mine and all its done is collect dust mate

this foookers wouldnt know a set if you used their heads to make it