PEER course or just exams?

Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice
Default PEER course or just exams?

have been told it is cheaper and easier to go through peer when doing electrical licensing. is this the case?
i e-mailed Peer and they said it would be $850. (theory workbook via distance learning from uk, exams in SA).
i e-mailed energysafety WA and they said $36 for application fee and $315 for license if succesful in exams.
am i missing something?
if you feel pretty confident about the exams isnt it quicker and cheaper to just go and sit the exam?
any thoughts / advice appreciated.
cheers.
Lee.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:37 pm
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PEER course or just exams?

Originally Posted by leeob77
have been told it is cheaper and easier to go through peer when doing electrical licensing. is this the case?
i e-mailed Peer and they said it would be $850. (theory workbook via distance learning from uk, exams in SA).
i e-mailed energysafety WA and they said $36 for application fee and $315 for license if succesful in exams.
am i missing something?
if you feel pretty confident about the exams isnt it quicker and cheaper to just go and sit the exam?
cheers.
Lee.
It's all down to personal preference and confidence. See Brigall's comments on this thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542591 If you do enough research & preparation, take the WA exams.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NCFC
It's all down to personal preference and confidence. See Brigall's comments on this thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542591 If you do enough research & preparation, take the WA exams.
thanks for the link. didnt think to look there. he was actually replying to my post with the comment!

cheers.
lee.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeob77
am i missing something?
cheers.
Lee.
It depends which state you are in really. Some states you're looking at 12 months before you can get your licence - SA it's 6 to 8 weeks or so. When you look at it like that it's cheaper in SA because you can be working on a sparkies wage quicker.

Look into every option, from every angle and weigh up the best one for you
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

andywilson19 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all I have just paid for my wiring regs course in south australia and with all the books and the course i cost me $445 at peer i got a discount because I got a citb number so it was a lot cheaper.
I have just had my artc back and got elecrical mechanic and start my course 24/06/08 this tuesday I am chuffed i got my artc back just my wiring regs to do now
I am working for a company and getting $30 an hour my course is at night tues and thurs 5.30 till 8.30 for 6 weeks so I dont loose any time off

Andy

Last edited by andywilson19; Jun 22nd 2008 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Porter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nice

Hi all, so am i right in thinking that you can do a correspondance course from peer for the wiring regs course in the UK at approx $AU 800 ish? If so, if you time it correctly with your Artc application and exam date in Aussie you could in theory get your A licence quite quickly ie not 3-4 months.Are there set time guidelines for the correspondance course its just you could organise the exam date if you know how long your course is, as well as the artc application.Or am i just wishfull thinking.Lets say were taking the exam in South Australia for example as the times seem quicker.many thanks Ian
Old Jun 27th 2008, 12:40 am
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Porter
Hi all, so am i right in thinking that you can do a correspondance course from peer for the wiring regs course in the UK at approx $AU 800 ish? If so, if you time it correctly with your Artc application and exam date in Aussie you could in theory get your A licence quite quickly ie not 3-4 months.Are there set time guidelines for the correspondance course its just you could organise the exam date if you know how long your course is, as well as the artc application.Or am i just wishfull thinking.Lets say were taking the exam in South Australia for example as the times seem quicker.many thanks Ian
Hi,

The ARTC takes approx 5-weeks to get (if successful)
Peer Tec course is a 56 hour course so allow a couple of weeks (if not working, depending on your ability) this can be done from the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=509956&page=2
When booking exam, i phoned through to book for the following week so not much notice needed.

I did the whole process from Oz but would have found work much quicker if i had completed most of the application from the UK. Just make sure you overkill your experience for the ARTC as this seems to be a lot of peoples downfall.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

John
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Porter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nice

thanks for that advice John and i'll certainly consider what you've said.