British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/path-become-qualified-licensed-australia-2017-a-892353/)

Ghazi786 Apr 8th 2017 8:43 am

Re: PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Thanx old sparkle ... I remember that you helped me a lot in my previous queries a lot when i was in process of applying PR ...

I was really unaware if caps are considered shouting ... really sorry for that ...

I am Electrical Engineer and on Skilled independent visa 189 and currently residing in caroline springs melbourne.

I want to know that will it be beneficial if i do certificate 3 for technician, in job hunting ... as i am free these days and looking to find a job and also enhance/refresh my skills.

are you from electrical background ?

old.sparkles Apr 8th 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Ghazi786 (Post 12224331)
Thanx old sparkle ... I remember that you helped me a lot in my previous queries a lot when i was in process of applying PR ...

I was really unaware if caps are considered shouting ... really sorry for that ...

I am Electrical Engineer and on Skilled independent visa 189 and currently residing in caroline springs melbourne.

I want to know that will it be beneficial if i do certificate 3 for technician, in job hunting ... as i am free these days and looking to find a job and also enhance/refresh my skills.

are you from electrical background ?

Yes, I'm an electrician. I do mostly industrial maintenance, repair and improvements. I also do plc and HMI programming.

If you are an engineer I wouldn't think that the cert III will enhance your job prospects. What skills are listed as useful on job adverts?

Ghazi786 Apr 8th 2017 3:41 pm

Ahan tht gr8 ... as far as i hav seen till now ... few jobs are asking registered building practioner ... how i can gain this ? I am trying to find out but not succeeding.

andy_140690 Jul 18th 2017 6:22 pm

Hi Eltonb,
Thank you for starting this post.
Would it be possible to email you? It would be great to get some advice from you about my situation.
I am looking to relocate to Australia in the future and hopefully be able to work as an electrician.
Thank you,
Andy

old.sparkles Jul 19th 2017 2:30 am

Originally Posted by andy_140690 (Post 12297299)
Hi Eltonb,
Thank you for starting this post.
Would it be possible to email you? It would be great to get some advice from you about my situation.
I am looking to relocate to Australia in the future and hopefully be able to work as an electrician.
Thank you,
Andy

Eltonb hasn't been on the site for a few months but may still pop by.

What information are you looking for - initial skills assessment or gap training / work opportunities?

diogo.cesar Nov 26th 2017 6:57 pm

Hello people, I just receive my positive outcome from TRA as an electrician. I am going to apply to visa 190 New South Wales, but I do not know what I need to do after the positive autcome related to OSAP process. By any chance, does anyone here could please help me to find the correct pathway to NSW? Thank you in advance.

Sam64 Feb 13th 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Eltonb (Post 12189815)
Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

The OTSR is the only path to start the licence process (as far as i am aware)

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here
*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.
*Do your gap training (Kangan institute if you are in Melbourne)
*Work for 12 months and complete e-profiling(online work experience logger)
*In that 12 months do the LET+LEP licence exams - If you are in Melbourne.
*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.
*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)
supervised workers licence $226
Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week
Future skills cert 3 $50
LEP course around $450 3days.
LEPExam $275
LET course around $480 4days.
LET Exam $95
You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time
AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

Hi to everyone and author of this great article.
My story is the next: I am fully qualified electrician from Estonia, having a parental visa and OTSR from Victoria University. I've got Supervised Electrical licence from Energy Safe Victoria and hoping that I'm standing on the rose road to full electrical licence. How I mistake! Problems starts when I tried to get supervised electrical work. No-one electrical company or contractor didn't want to take me, even as a trade assistant, although I have all docs and huge experience. I spent a lot of time trying to find the job, but finally should came back.
So on my mind all OTSR's, LET, LEP and other courses and exams is nothing in compare to find supervised electrical work.
If somebody can help with piece of advice how to get it - appreciate!

old.sparkles Feb 13th 2018 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sam64 (Post 12440908)
Hi to everyone and author of this great article.
My story is the next: I am fully qualified electrician from Estonia, having a parental visa and OTSR from Victoria University. I've got Supervised Electrical licence from Energy Safe Victoria and hoping that I'm standing on the rose road to full electrical licence. How I mistake! Problems starts when I tried to get supervised electrical work. No-one electrical company or contractor didn't want to take me, even as a trade assistant, although I have all docs and huge experience. I spent a lot of time trying to find the job, but finally should came back.
So on my mind all OTSR's, LET, LEP and other courses and exams is nothing in compare to find supervised electrical work.
If somebody can help with piece of advice how to get it - appreciate!

Advice I was given was to make friends with the electrical wholesalers who know who has a lot of work on and might need extra help; make friends with a recruiter who can sell you to prospective employers and explain work restrictions and benefits to them; and apply to employers who advertise vacancies directly who wont necessarily pre-screen you out for lack of license.

A good linkedin profile can also help as will a well presented resume. You do not need to put your age on your resume, and can remove some of the older experience if that would help. You could also walk around the area you live in and see who is doing work locally and ask if they need help directly.

What type of electrical work are you most experienced in?

Sam64 Feb 14th 2018 5:25 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12441560)
Advice I was given was to make friends with the electrical wholesalers who know who has a lot of work on and might need extra help; make friends with a recruiter who can sell you to prospective employers and explain work restrictions and benefits to them; and apply to employers who advertise vacancies directly who wont necessarily pre-screen you out for lack of license.

A good linkedin profile can also help as will a well presented resume. You do not need to put your age on your resume, and can remove some of the older experience if that would help. You could also walk around the area you live in and see who is doing work locally and ask if they need help directly.

What type of electrical work are you most experienced in?

Hi, thank you for reply.
I worked a lot in industrial (big storages), commercial (schools, shopping centres) and residential (apartment buildings) projects. I have a lot of experience in data cabling and connections, low-voltage (KNX,SD), power cabling and connections, switchboards, faults finding etc.etc. Good in reading drawnings. Have australian white card and lift card. Prefer to work in big industrial projects. It is more challenging and interesting for me. In Europe I have a lot of work but due to my children reside to Australia I'd want to be with them. But met with difficulties to find the job. It is easier to find labourer job for people without education and experience than for me as a professional. It is so dissapointing! Moreover electrical standards in Europe is higher than in Australia and I see that a lot of things in Australia is 19 century in compare to Europe. I can bring a lot to Australia but Australia don't want it. Pity!

old.sparkles Feb 14th 2018 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sam64 (Post 12441659)
Hi, thank you for reply.
I worked a lot in industrial (big storages), commercial (schools, shopping centres) and residential (apartment buildings) projects. I have a lot of experience in data cabling and connections, low-voltage (KNX,SD), power cabling and connections, switchboards, faults finding etc.etc. Good in reading drawnings. Have australian white card and lift card. Prefer to work in big industrial projects. It is more challenging and interesting for me. In Europe I have a lot of work but due to my children reside to Australia I'd want to be with them. But met with difficulties to find the job. It is easier to find labourer job for people without education and experience than for me as a professional. It is so dissapointing! Moreover electrical standards in Europe is higher than in Australia and I see that a lot of things in Australia is 19 century in compare to Europe. I can bring a lot to Australia but Australia don't want it. Pity!

Current Australian standards are similar to European standards from what I can see - just not retro active.

Data cabling is a different license I think than electrical work, so that might be worth exploring. Other than that, as you seem to be installation only, maybe make direct approaches to companies you see at the big construction sites and ask about supervised work. Most companies are now well aware of the OTSR although they still need it explained as to how that will effect them if they hire you.

Alternatively, maybe look to change states for a while. Plenty of construction work going on in NSW and once you get a license in one state, you can use mutual recognition to apply for license in another state.

owen3408 Jul 12th 2018 12:19 pm

Hey Guys,
To those that have gone through the Future Skills process.....

Im currently going through my application for Future Skills. They have requested my employer statements to have more detail, I was wondering if anyone could show me an example of what their employers included in their statements so I can give my previous employers a heads up on what they need to include.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

old.sparkles Jul 12th 2018 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by owen3408 (Post 12531663)
Hey Guys,
To those that have gone through the Future Skills process.....

Im currently going through my application for Future Skills. They have requested my employer statements to have more detail, I was wondering if anyone could show me an example of what their employers included in their statements so I can give my previous employers a heads up on what they need to include.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Whoever does the skills assessment doesn't really matter since they are all required to obtain the same evidence. Vetassess have been around the longest and have a lot of information for applicants available. If you check appendix B here - https://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals...uide.pdf?V=100 - you should be able to see what is needed.

symeon Jul 4th 2019 6:23 am

Hi all,

I have applied for an assessment at Victoria University and they want me to submit more documents, but is the assessment going to be positive?

Here it is what they sent me :

We have reviewed the portfolio of documents submitted for your application for a ‘Electrician’ and have found that further documentation will need to be submitted in order for the application to be ‘decision ready’.

1. NEW TRA Guidelines for Documents – They must be scans of original documents, in colour, and at least 150dpi. These original documents will need to be presented at the Technical Assessment stage for sighting and verification.
  1. Resume - needs to be updated:
  • Employment history including apprenticeship requires job titles
  • Requires at least two referees including phone numbers and email addresses
  1. Qualifications/Training:
  • Siegfried Nass GmbH English translation needs to be cited and verified
  • The training documents did not show the 4 year Australian electrical apprenticeship formal training equivalency.
General Electrician Formal Training Skills include:
  •  
    • electricity theory and fundamentals
    • Designing and verification of conformity to standards of electrical installations.
    • Selection and sizing of cables
    • Selection and sizing of circuit protection
    • Loading of circuits
    • Maximum demand calculations
    • Visual Inspections of electrical installations
    • Verification of conformity of electrical installations to safety and supply authority regulations
  • I require you to provide your own explanation to each point in the attached document General Electrician DEA Assessment Criteria - PAPAIOANNOU, Symeon.docx

I have shown them more than 5 years working experience. I am not sure if this is just the procedure and then, I will have positive assessment.

Thank you in advance.

Regrads,
Symeon

old.sparkles Jul 4th 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by symeon (Post 12706450)
Hi all,

I have applied for an assessment at Victoria University and they want me to submit more documents, but is the assessment going to be positive?

Here it is what they sent me :

We have reviewed the portfolio of documents submitted for your application for a ‘Electrician’ and have found that further documentation will need to be submitted in order for the application to be ‘decision ready’.
  1. NEW TRA Guidelines for Documents – They must be scans of original documents, in colour, and at least 150dpi. These original documents will need to be presented at the Technical Assessment stage for sighting and verification.
  1. Resume - needs to be updated:
  • Employment history including apprenticeship requires job titles
  • Requires at least two referees including phone numbers and email addresses
  1. Qualifications/Training:
  • Siegfried Nass GmbH English translation needs to be cited and verified
  • The training documents did not show the 4 year Australian electrical apprenticeship formal training equivalency.
General Electrician Formal Training Skills include:
  •  
    • electricity theory and fundamentals
    • Designing and verification of conformity to standards of electrical installations.
    • Selection and sizing of cables
    • Selection and sizing of circuit protection
    • Loading of circuits
    • Maximum demand calculations
    • Visual Inspections of electrical installations
    • Verification of conformity of electrical installations to safety and supply authority regulations
  • I require you to provide your own explanation to each point in the attached document General Electrician DEA Assessment Criteria - PAPAIOANNOU, Symeon.docx

I have shown them more than 5 years working experience. I am not sure if this is just the procedure and then, I will have positive assessment.

Thank you in advance.

Regrads,
Symeon

A lot of what they are asking for is pretty straightforward - follow the guidelines, and colour scan documents, get translations of documents not in English (they'' be advice on this in the guidelines, or Vic Uni factsheets), etc.

The biggest hurdle I can see is that they are not convinced your training is up to standard. You need to prove you have completed a level of training suitable - equivalent of a 4 year apprenticeship.

What training have you done? Did you include quals, references, etc?

symeon Jul 4th 2019 8:39 pm

Hi and thank you for your response.

The problem is that I have all the documents translated in English. Also they are coloured documents. And about the 4 year apprenticeship they want to see that you were working as an apprentice? But, I have shown them in my CV that I was working for 3 years as an apprentice overseas and 3.5 years here in Australia. I have sent them photos while I am working and whatever doc they have asked for. And they give me just a week to send them the documents.

I have asked them for clarification about which documents they want me to change and they haven't answered to me yet.

Regards,
Symeon.