British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/path-become-qualified-licensed-australia-2017-a-892353/)

Eltonb Feb 25th 2017 6:59 am

PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

The OTSR is the only path to start the licence process (as far as i am aware)

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here
*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.
*Do your gap training (Kangan institute if you are in Melbourne)
*Work for 12 months and complete e-profiling(online work experience logger)
*In that 12 months do the LET+LEP licence exams - If you are in Melbourne.
*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.
*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)
supervised workers licence $226
Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week
Future skills cert 3 $50
LEP course around $450 3days.
LEPExam $275
LET course around $480 4days.
LET Exam $95
You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time
AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

old.sparkles Feb 25th 2017 7:18 am

Re: PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Originally Posted by Eltonb (Post 12189815)
Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here
*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.
*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.
*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for posting Eltonb :)

Process varies across states, although all now start with the need to gain the OTSR (Overseas Technical Skills Record). This can be undertaken with Future Skills, but also Vetassess and Victoria University.

The supervised workers license will be issued with this and enable you to undertake the gap training. In SA it is issued by CBS, NSW is Fair Trading, QLD is Worksafe, WA is Dept of Commerce - not sure on NT, ACT or TAS but Google is your friend.

Gap training from there also varies with states. PEER VEET here in SA will cover wiring rules, OH&S, Electrical Rescue and Log book, and issue a cert III on completion (can also be done with Training Prospects I think but not 100%). In other states, this is done by TAFE or other RTO's.

Eltonb Feb 26th 2017 3:39 am

No probs old sparkles

I Really do want to help as many as I can because there is not enough info out there and it is wrong.

We shouldn't have to do this to help others it should be advertises in depth by the licensing bodies or future skills ect to give you a good understanding what you are letting yourself in for before you move to the other side of the world.

old.sparkles Feb 26th 2017 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Eltonb (Post 12190760)
No probs old sparkles

I Really do want to help as many as I can because there is not enough info out there and it is wrong.

We shouldn't have to do this to help others it should be advertises in depth by the licensing bodies or future skills ect to give you a good understanding what you are letting yourself in for before you move to the other side of the world.

There is plenty of info on here - I know I've said similar things for a long time now. There is a search function, but also google often returns BE posts.

The problem with advice after OTSR is that it depends on what state you move to, but there is advice out there. One other thing to consider is that if we find it difficult, so do employers and sometimes you need to make sure you have all the info to hand to help prospective employers work through it too.

owen3408 Mar 27th 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Eltonb (Post 12189815)
Hi guys and girls

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)
supervised workers licence $226
Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week
Future skills cert 3 $50
LEP course around $450 3days.
LEPExam $275
LET course around $480 4days.
LET Exam $95
You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time
AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

Im so glad I have found this post, I am a 30yr old 17th Edition electrician from Bournemouth and have just recieved my permanent migration visa. I will be moving to Melbourne on August 21st 2017 with my other half.

Like what you say, I have been trying to search for how to go about getting licensed in Victoria but all i find is confusion and no real step by step way of getting it done.

Im going to look into the OTSR asap and get the ball rolling, I'm sure I'll have some questions to throw your way soon

Cheers Owen

old.sparkles Mar 27th 2017 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by owen3408 (Post 12214598)
Im so glad I have found this post, I am a 30yr old 17th Edition electrician from Bournemouth and have just recieved my permanent migration visa. I will be moving to Melbourne on August 21st 2017 with my other half.

Like what you say, I have been trying to search for how to go about getting licensed in Victoria but all i find is confusion and no real step by step way of getting it done.

Im going to look into the OTSR asap and get the ball rolling, I'm sure I'll have some questions to throw your way soon

Cheers Owen

What visa are you moving on Owen?

If you haven't had your skills assessed (and issued an OTSR) then you can do this in the UK before leaving (Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University). What other qualifications do you have in addition to the 17th Ed?

owen3408 Mar 28th 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12214618)
What visa are you moving on Owen?

If you haven't had your skills assessed (and issued an OTSR) then you can do this in the UK before leaving (Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University). What other qualifications do you have in addition to the 17th Ed?

The visa is partner migrant subclass 100.

I just have the completed apprenticeship and 17th update. I should have done the 2391 when I had the opportunity really.

I was looking at the OTSR last night, it's only and hour and a half away in London which is good.

old.sparkles Mar 28th 2017 9:18 am

Originally Posted by owen3408 (Post 12214863)
The visa is partner migrant subclass 100.

I just have the completed apprenticeship and 17th update. I should have done the 2391 when I had the opportunity really.

I was looking at the OTSR last night, it's only and hour and a half away in London which is good.

If you have only just completed your apprenticeship you may have an issue, you need 5 years total experience included apprenticeship I think. What qualification were you issued for the apprenticeship? Cert III? C&G?

owen3408 Mar 28th 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12214902)
If you have only just completed your apprenticeship you may have an issue, you need 5 years total experience included apprenticeship I think. What qualification were you issued for the apprenticeship? Cert III? C&G?

I'm on my 15th year in the trade now so clear the 5 year experience 👍

Yes it's C&G 2351 level 3

old.sparkles Mar 28th 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by owen3408 (Post 12214920)
I'm on my 15th year in the trade now so clear the 5 year experience 👍

Yes it's C&G 2351 level 3

Sorry, it wasn't clear in your other posts and would hate you to waste money as the process is not cheap.

You mention that there is a centre in London - are you referring to Down Under Trades? If that is the case, the skills assessment will be by Future Skills, although all RTO's have to follow the same process. As the assessment is not for skilled migration, but to get skills assessed so you can gain licensing in Australia, it may be worth contacting them in advance to confirm the process If it is the same, you will need to do a self assessment with Tradeset, and send that with your qualification, resume, references, etc for assessment prior to do a practical assessment. Check Future Skills website for format and info required on references and info on skilled experience.

owen3408 Mar 28th 2017 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12214985)
Sorry, it wasn't clear in your other posts and would hate you to waste money as the process is not cheap.

You mention that there is a centre in London - are you referring to Down Under Trades? If that is the case, the skills assessment will be by Future Skills, although all RTO's have to follow the same process. As the assessment is not for skilled migration, but to get skills assessed so you can gain licensing in Australia, it may be worth contacting them in advance to confirm the process If it is the same, you will need to do a self assessment with Tradeset, and send that with your qualification, resume, references, etc for assessment prior to do a practical assessment. Check Future Skills website for format and info required on references and info on skilled experience.

it was the centre that future skills use in London i was referring to. I have emailed Future skills asking for their advise for the best route for me to take for recognition as most of what I find refers to the skilled migration process rather than just the skills assessment. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

I have looked through the Vetasses website, as I only need the skills assessment their website suggests to do the process once in Australia.

Peter_Ma Apr 3rd 2017 7:07 am

Hi Eltonb

thanks you sharing, i just got my supervised workers license, and waiting to participate gap course in Kangan.
would you mind to send me you contact email , i am struggling to find log my work experience.

old.sparkles Apr 3rd 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Peter_Ma (Post 12219984)
Hi Eltonb

thanks you sharing, i just got my supervised workers license, and waiting to participate gap course in Kangan.
would you mind to send me you contact email , i am struggling to find log my work experience.

you can email through BE by clicking on a members name to bring up a drop down menu. You may need a few more posts though to use the facility

Ghazi786 Apr 8th 2017 5:31 am

Hi All ... v nice thread ...

I am Electrical Engineer and recently moved to Melbourne from UAE on Skilled Independent Visa 189, ...

1) anyone have idea if i can do Certificate 3 on government funded subsidiary scheme and will it be beneficial ? My current qualification is COMPARABLE with AQF ... not EQUIVALENT

2)If I can, than which institute will be good for it and near my location Caroline Springs ???

3) What other options do i have TO REMAIN ENGAGED IN MY FIELD BEFORE GETTING ANY JOB ?

old.sparkles Apr 8th 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Ghazi786 (Post 12224263)
Hi All ... v nice thread ...

I am Electrical Engineer and recently moved to Melbourne from UAE on Skilled Independent Visa 189, ...

1) anyone have idea if i can do Certificate 3 on government funded subsidiary scheme and will it be beneficial ? My current qualification is COMPARABLE with AQF ... not EQUIVALENT

2)If I can, than which institute will be good for it and near my location Caroline Springs ???

3) What other options do i have TO REMAIN ENGAGED IN MY FIELD BEFORE GETTING ANY JOB ?

Are you an electrician (apprentice / cert III qualified) or an engineer (degree qualified)? As for the rest of your post, if you are an electrician, you will need to complete gap training as per opening post. If you are an engineer, I don't believe you need to be licensed so just go job hunting.

And please don't shout (all caps is considered shouting)