Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Originally Posted by symeon
I have already applied for permanent visa but not as a primary applicant. My wife is the primary applicant.
In that case, can you current employer take you on as an apprentice? You can maybe get RPL for your current quals, and might be able to get an Aussie cert III in only a year or so. You'd need to find a TAFE or RTO for the RPL and other units - or wait and see what Vic Uni say - they should give you a statement of attainment so far
Old Jul 9th 2019, 8:55 am
Just Joined

symeon is an unknown quantity at this point

They sent me today an email that I passed the Documentary evidence assessment and I have to proceed to the Practical assessment.

Do you know where I can find these books?

Pearson Electrical Trade Principles by Jeffery Hampson
Pearson Electrotechnology Practice by Jeffery

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Symeon.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 1:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

They sent me today an email that I passed the Documentary evidence assessment and I have to proceed to the Practical assessment.

Do you know where I can find these books?

Pearson Electrical Trade Principles by Jeffery Hampson
Pearson Electrotechnology Practice by Jeffery

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Symeon.
I got mine 2nd hand off gumtree.
If you want new, you could try book depository, Amazon. etc.
You might also get lucky with the library

Edit - Oh, and congrats on passing the first part. I was a bit worried for you
Old Jul 10th 2019, 7:34 am
Just Joined

symeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. I am very happy!!

If I read these 2 books do you think that I am going to be alright at the assessment?
Old Jul 10th 2019, 3:35 pm

Thank you. I am very happy!!

If I read these 2 books do you think that I am going to be alright at the assessment?
no lol - not needed really.

The assessment isn't that bad - maybe look to revise DC circuits, power factor, transformer construction, etc.

Even though your assessment is with Vic Uni, check out the guidance notes on the Vetassess website, and make sure you know safe isolation and disconnect procedure
Old Jul 31st 2019, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

beachbuggy is an unknown quantity at this point

The work experience required by the RTO for electrical_ would work as an refrigeration tech doing electrical on a limited licence (nz) count towards work experience?
Old Aug 7th 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by beachbuggy
The work experience required by the RTO for electrical_ would work as an refrigeration tech doing electrical on a limited licence (nz) count towards work experience?
If looking to be assessed as an electrician, then it might count for training, but not the skilled work requirement in my opinion but the only people with that answer would be the RTO
Old Aug 7th 2019, 11:56 am
Just Joined

beachbuggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If looking to be assessed as an electrician, then it might count for training, but not the skilled work requirement in my opinion but the only people with that answer would be the RTO
Hi old.sparkles. Thanks for the reply. Did 6 years petrochemical electrical overseas, moved to NZ and started 15 months as fridgie (electrical faultfinding and repairs shipping containers) and then 7 months industrial spark at meat processing, now 13 months sparky food processing. Do you think this will suffice? Kind regards.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by beachbuggy
Hi old.sparkles. Thanks for the reply. Did 6 years petrochemical electrical overseas, moved to NZ and started 15 months as fridgie (electrical faultfinding and repairs shipping containers) and then 7 months industrial spark at meat processing, now 13 months sparky food processing. Do you think this will suffice? Kind regards.
Sorry for the delayed response.

I wouldn't like to say for certain - not having a full license may affect the judgement but include it and see what happens
Old Oct 19th 2019, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Spark2Perth is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just submitted our EOI, 189 for WA on 70 points and 190 for SA on 75 points.

My agent has suggested applying for NSW for state sponsorship.

My question is, to do the gap year training to get A licence, is SA or NSW best? Is there work available in Adelaide for a TA?

I think we'd prefer Adelaide. 70 points for WA doesn't appear to be enough points with a minimum set at 80 so that seems unlikely.

Have family in Mandurah hence WA.

Cheers

Old Oct 20th 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Spark2Perth
We've just submitted our EOI, 189 for WA on 70 points and 190 for SA on 75 points.

My agent has suggested applying for NSW for state sponsorship.

My question is, to do the gap year training to get A licence, is SA or NSW best? Is there work available in Adelaide for a TA?

I think we'd prefer Adelaide. 70 points for WA doesn't appear to be enough points with a minimum set at 80 so that seems unlikely.

Have family in Mandurah hence WA.

Cheers
It's possible to work in NSW as an unlicensed spark, and there is work around depending on the type if work you do.

The path to getting licensed in SA though is pretty straight forward and will likely not take a full year to complete.