Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Old Jul 6th 2019, 12:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PATH TO BECOME QUALIFIED+LICENSED IN AUSTRALIA 2017

Originally Posted by symeon
Hi and thank you for your response.

The problem is that I have all the documents translated in English. Also they are coloured documents. And about the 4 year apprenticeship they want to see that you were working as an apprentice? But, I have shown them in my CV that I was working for 3 years as an apprentice overseas and 3.5 years here in Australia. I have sent them photos while I am working and whatever doc they have asked for. And they give me just a week to send them the documents.

I have asked them for clarification about which documents they want me to change and they haven't answered to me yet.

Regards,
Symeon.
If you have been completing an apprenticeship here, can't you obtain a cert III from the RTO - then no need for a skills assessment.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:58 am
Just Joined

symeon is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is that in my country we do not have a formal apprenticeship. I can only show that I was working as an electrician and I have sent them references from my employers. I have asked tra for clarifications and they haven't answered to me yet. And they have only given me a week to send them the doc.

I am not sure what they will do. I have corrected whatever I understood that I had to and now wait. If they call me for a DEA I will be very happy.

If I have a negative assessment, does anyone know which uni in Melbourne is cheap and good as to study as an electrician? Also, is there any chance that they will recognize any of my experience as apprenticeship and be able to start for example as 3rd or 4th year apprentice?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Symeon.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that in my country we do not have a formal apprenticeship. I can only show that I was working as an electrician and I have sent them references from my employers. I have asked tra for clarifications and they haven't answered to me yet. And they have only given me a week to send them the doc.

I am not sure what they will do. I have corrected whatever I understood that I had to and now wait. If they call me for a DEA I will be very happy.

If I have a negative assessment, does anyone know which uni in Melbourne is cheap and good as to study as an electrician? Also, is there any chance that they will recognize any of my experience as apprenticeship and be able to start for example as 3rd or 4th year apprentice?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Symeon.
Are you currently working as an electrician? Or as an apprentice?
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Are you currently working as an electrician? Or as an apprentice?
I am currently working as an electrician but with no license together with a licensed electrician . I have been working in Australia for 3.5 years like that. And I have got experience from overseas and my Certificate III.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:25 am

I am currently working as an electrician but with no license together with a licensed electrician . I have been working in Australia for 3.5 years like that. And I have got experience from overseas and my Certificate III.
Where was your cert III issued? Here in Australia?
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Not in Australia. It is from overseas, Greece.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:15 am

Not in Australia. It is from overseas, Greece.
Ah okay.

Re-reading what they sent you, you need ti show how you meet the criteria - what units of your qualification match up to those listed? Do you have references to show how you have used those skills? Photos and videos can also be used I think.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:05 am
Just Joined

I have already sent them photos. The document that they send me to answer is this:

Hello Symeon

We have new strict new guidelines from Trades Recognition Australia which include but is not limited by the following:

· Is there sufficient Documentary Evidence to support 80% of the general electrician critical skills?

· Is there sufficient Documentary Evidence to support equivalent of 4-year full time electrical apprenticeship?

· Is there sufficient Documentary Evidence to support 1-year post trade general electrical employment?

· Has worked full time in the electrical trades within the last 5 years

· Can the Technical Assessment be conducted in English without assistance?

· General Electrician Formal Training Skills include

o electricity theory and fundamentals

o Designing and verification of conformity to standards of electrical installations.

o Selection and sizing of cables

o Selection and sizing of circuit protection

o Loading of circuits

o Maximum demand calculations

o Visual Inspections of electrical installations

o Verification of conformity of electrical installations to safety and supply authority regulations

· General Electrician Practical Skills include designing, installing, testing and verification and fault finding of

electrical installations in a domestic, multiple domestic, commercial and industrial environments.

Please provide answers for the following dot points.

Have you worked as an electrician? Please provide dates and employment details.

Do you have demonstrated skill sets and experience in designing a multiphase industrial, commercial or multi-unit domestic installation, including:
  • Determination of the maximum demand, the size of the consumers mains, main earthing conductor, and main switch electrical capacity
  • Calculated the current carrying capacity and determined the cable size and circuit protection device for individual sub-mains and final sub-circuits
  • Designed the layout and wiring of main switchboard and (where necessary) sub-boards;
Do you have demonstrated skill sets and experience in installing
  • consumer’s mains, main switchboard, sub-mains and sub-boards;
  • individual sub-circuits and applicable accessories;
Do you have demonstrated skill sets and experience in testing
  • the continuity and insulation resistance of each of the active conductors, neutral conductors and earthing conductors throughout the installation; and,
  • tested and verified the installation is safe to connect to supply.

Electrical work in Australia.

The Electricity Safety Act 1998 and regulations under the Act require that only registered electrical contractors can contract to the general public to undertake electrical installation work. Similarly the legislation requires that electrical installation work can only be undertaken by licensed electricians.

Work on fixed electrical wiring in Australian can only be carried out by licenced electrical trades. Even electrical apprentices and/or electrical supervised workers are licenced and any electrical work carried out by un-licenced persons is illegal in Australia.

Do you think that I have to answer with a yes/no or explaining how I know it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jul 7th 2019 at 7:28 am. Reason: take out excess spacing to assist clarity
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:27 am

I have already sent them photos. The document that they send me to answer is this:

Hello Symeon

We have new strict new guidelines from Trades Recognition Australia which include but is not limited by the following:
· Is there sufficient Documentary Evidence to support 80% of the general electrician critical skills?
· Is there sufficient Documentary Evidence to support equivalent of 4-year full time electrical apprenticeship?
· Is there sufficient Documentary Evidence to support 1-year post trade general electrical employment?
· Has worked full time in the electrical trades within the last 5 years
· Can the Technical Assessment be conducted in English without assistance?

· General Electrician Formal Training Skills include
o electricity theory and fundamentals
o Designing and verification of conformity to standards of electrical installations.
o Selection and sizing of cables
o Selection and sizing of circuit protection
o Loading of circuits
o Maximum demand calculations
o Visual Inspections of electrical installations
o Verification of conformity of electrical installations to safety and supply authority regulations

· General Electrician Practical Skills include designing, installing, testing and verification and fault finding of
electrical installations in a domestic, multiple domestic, commercial and industrial environments.

Please provide answers for the following dot points.
Have you worked as an electrician? Please provide dates and employment details.
Do you have demonstrated skill sets and experience in designing a multiphase industrial, commercial or multi-unit domestic installation, including:
  • Determination of the maximum demand, the size of the consumers mains, main earthing conductor, and main switch electrical capacity
  • Calculated the current carrying capacity and determined the cable size and circuit protection device for individual sub-mains and final sub-circuits
  • Designed the layout and wiring of main switchboard and (where necessary) sub-boards;
Do you have demonstrated skill sets and experience in installing
  • consumer’s mains, main switchboard, sub-mains and sub-boards;
  • individual sub-circuits and applicable accessories;
Do you have demonstrated skill sets and experience in testing
  • the continuity and insulation resistance of each of the active conductors, neutral conductors and earthing conductors throughout the installation; and,
  • tested and verified the installation is safe to connect to supply.

Electrical work in Australia.
The Electricity Safety Act 1998 and regulations under the Act require that only registered electrical contractors can contract to the general public to undertake electrical installation work. Similarly the legislation requires that electrical installation work can only be undertaken by licensed electricians.

Work on fixed electrical wiring in Australian can only be carried out by licenced electrical trades. Even electrical apprentices and/or electrical supervised workers are licenced and any electrical work carried out by un-icenced persons is illegal in Australia.

Do you think that I have to answer with a yes/no or explaining how I know it?

Thank you very much for your help.
My interpretation would be that you need yes/no answers - and evidence backing up your answers.

Do you currently hold any form of electrical workers license?
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:44 am
Just Joined

I have got my license from Greece. Specifically the license for auxiliary staff of electrical installations assistant, electrical technician, chief technician, foreman.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 8:52 am

I have got my license from Greece. Specifically the license for auxiliary staff of electrical installations assistant, electrical technician, chief technician, foreman.
So how are you currently managing to work as an electrician? You could have issues with what was posted at the end of the mail from Vic Uni. What visa are you currently on?
Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:01 am
Just Joined

I am not working alone, I am working under the supervision of an A grade electrician. I am at a visa which let me work unlimited hours.

So you think that they may tell me that I am working illegally? You think it is better to go and try to take my license from a uni?

I think that they have me as Classification: Labourer.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:29 am

I am not working alone, I am working under the supervision of an A grade electrician. I am at a visa which let me work unlimited hours.

So you think that they may tell me that I am working illegally? You think it is better to go and try to take my license from a uni?

I think that they have me as Classification: Labourer.
If you are working as a labourer, you cannot claim to be working as an electrician. If you are working as an electrician, even supervised, you need some form of license here.

Without those years, you cannot show 4 years apprenticeship, and 1 year post qualified for the skills assessment.

In your position, it may be worth getting help from a MARA agent
Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:35 am
Just Joined

OK. That's why they asked me for more documents. Cause I cannot claim the 3.5 work experience from Australia since I don't have a license and I am working as labourer. So it is better to go and study as an electrician and they might recognize some experience from my country. And I may start working as an 3rd year apprentice.

Thank you for your help. I 'll wait if they recognize my overseas work experience and there is a chance to ask me to take the practical test since I have 6 years from Greece. You never know!
Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:41 am
Just Joined

I have already applied for permanent visa but not as a primary applicant. My wife is the primary applicant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.