Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

In oz on Work hol visa but want a skilled visa?

In oz on Work hol visa but want a skilled visa?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Stevecollier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In oz on Work hol visa but want a skilled visa?

Hey, just looking for some help in this area. Im in Oz on a working holiday visa at the minute but want to get a skilled migration visa(175).Im a qualified uk electrician with 10 years exp. Trained to NVQ level 3 16th edition.
Is it possible to get my skills assessed by the TRA while im here then apply for the visa? Dont really want to go home to do the vessess.
Thanks.

Last edited by Stevecollier; Feb 3rd 2009 at 11:30 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In oz on Work hol visa but want a skilled visa?

Originally Posted by Stevecollier
Hey, just looking for some help in this area. Im in Oz on a working holiday visa at the minute but want to get a skilled migration visa(175).Im a qualified uk electrician with 10 years exp. Trained to NVQ level 3 16th edition.
Is it possible to get my skills assessed by the TRA while im here then apply for the visa? Dont really want to go home to do the vessess.
Thanks.

Seems not I'm afraid
http://vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?me...#tsa_residency
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Spoke to the tra today and they said if im in oz then they can assess my skills just have to stay in the country while they are dealing with it then once i have the positive result then i can apply for the 175 visa either in the uk or in oz. much easier i think.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to the tra today and they said if im in oz then they can assess my skills just have to stay in the country while they are dealing with it then once i have the positive result then i can apply for the 175 visa either in the uk or in oz. much easier i think.

It's entirely your call, but I will say this

Just because the person who answered the phone gave you that answer doesn't mean they are right. There is a lot of times they give you the wrong info because they don't know the rules or the full details. So be careful.

You are only eligible for the TRA if you are RESIDENT in Australia - that means this:

For applicants who are currently in Australia on a temporary visa please note:
For immigration purposes, you are not considered a resident of Australia if you hold a tourist visa or working holding visa (or any other visa that has allowed you to be in Australia for a period of time as either a tourist or short term worker).

Therefore, if you are a resident of the UK, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka or the Philippines, and work in one of the trades listed, and are in Australia on a tourist visa or working holiday visa you are considered to be a resident of your country of origin.

You are therefore required to seek a skills assessment from VETASSESS. Please note that you will be required to return to your country of origin (or one of the other listed countries) to undertake the practical component of your skills test.

I suggest you check it out again, and if they say the same thing ask for it in writing.
I'm not telling you this to be mean, I just don't want you to do all the work, pay all the money only to be told you can't apply this way 3 or 4 month down the line. And I'm also not an expert in this, I can only go on the regulations I read on various sites so could well be wrong.

What ever way you have to go though I wish you good luck, and if I can be of help please just ask
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

keep us updated though bud, this is what i had in mind and good luck
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Hello Steve

I can only speak from personal experience and when I did a TRA Domestic Skills Assessment in September/October two of the things they wanted were

1. Passport scan of permamnent visa sticker
2. Copy of Permanent Resident Visa grant letter.

I would double check the info, as I was under the impression you needed to be a permanent resident.

Again I could be wrong because things do change, things are expense enough when emigrating without chucking a few hundred bucks away!!!.

Good luck though, and if you search the forums you'll find loads of posts on TRA applications to help you find out the type and kind of information they are looking for!

Dave
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by daviec33
Hello Steve

I can only speak from personal experience and when I did a TRA Domestic Skills Assessment in September/October two of the things they wanted were

1. Passport scan of permamnent visa sticker
2. Copy of Permanent Resident Visa grant letter.

I would double check the info, as I was under the impression you needed to be a permanent resident.

Again I could be wrong because things do change, things are expense enough when emigrating without chucking a few hundred bucks away!!!.

Good luck though, and if you search the forums you'll find loads of posts on TRA applications to help you find out the type and kind of information they are looking for!

Dave
Hey, spoke to the TRA again today that was the third time! and you can definitely get your trades recognised if you our here on a working holiday visa the conditions are that you must not leave the country while it is being processed. I made sure and told her that i wasn't classed as a resident but it is OK because you are residing here. Am sending all my stuff of in the next week and will have a decision in no more than twenty days. This seems like a great and easier way to get your skills recognised. will let you guys no how i get on.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Good news mate!.

Remember put loads of information in your application, the more you put the better!.

Make sure you have loads of descriptions of the work you have done, basically describing the job from design stage to installation and testing.

Also remember to name all the different accessories, tools, installation methods etc, etc.

You have to really "spoonfeed" them the information!.

A little bit of preparation and thought will save you a bit of hassle in the long term and you'll get it first time.

If it's any help i also did SVQ3 and I sent them my portfolio as it was all typed up in word, I also had pictures of job's I'd been on and v.detailed employer references (easiest way to do this is to type 'em up yerself and get the employer to print em on headed notepaper and sign them).

good luck!