Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)

Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)

Old May 26th 2008, 9:47 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)

two weeks ago i was asked to hook up a new oven in a brand new shop / installation

the oven was 80 odd kw which translated to appox 26 amp per phase tpn

the electrican had wired a three phase isolator with one 4mm twin and earth
off a spn 32amp mcb

when i quired it i was told
all you have to do mate is link out the active to the other poles and it makes three phase
wtf are you serious???

i left with instructions for the sparkie to provide a 32 amp per phase 3 phase supply

i went back a week later and the sparky had added another twin and earth a 2.5 this time using the red and black as L2 and L3 along with the original 4mm
on L1 all connected to a 32amp tpn mcb

hang on mate i carnt connect this,
the machine pulls 26 odd amps perphase this lot just aint right

answer -- ****in whinging pomm do you know what your doing ???

yep and if you carry on mate my next call will be to the electrical safety office

at this point the customer asked us to wire the machine correctly
which i did with 6mm 4c and earth orange circular
by the time i`d finished ( just before the opening of the shop ) the original sparkie had buggered off so the customer asked me why the hot water wasnt working, so i climbed up on top of the toilet block to find another 2.5 sticking out of the wall near the water heater just lying there stripped back but not connected ( and yes it was live and connected to a 32amp mcb )

how the foook do these cowboys get work ??
Old May 26th 2008, 10:05 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Its crazy sh*t here isnt steve! All i went to do at this house was connect up a solar hot water. Normally we just disconnect the off peak hot water and take a feed from the normal tarrif through a fuse to a booster switch and out.
The main feed came into the main switch in two 6mm twins, up to the meter and then down to the oven fuse. Out of the oven fuse to the oven. There were no links from the feed going into the oven fuse to any of the other fuses so how the hell they were getting power iv no idea? Cables went into the house and must have brought power back to the board! Oh i dont know! It was a bloody mess, even got me boss down to have a look and he was lost aswell!!!
Still makes me laugh how in a lot of the old propertys the supply goes through the main switch before the meters.
Like your story there steve, link across from your single phase, thats a classic
Old May 26th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

ive worked on something very similar in Melbourne to the board you & youngy was working on, it makes you think very carefully before putting your hand/arm in there, its just down right pathetic & dangerous, these w@nkers call them self a trades person.would you let them loose with a "Dolls House".???

And the cheeky pricks are charging people, this practice seems normal for some to perform. without being bias if they ever did ow't like that in the UK they would be sacked on the spot.

They certainly don't give a shit who is following them on the next visit to that site.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:24 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

I think the bad thing is this board looks like it may have been like this from day one. There were a few new cables in there but it was all a birds nest.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

teve`o;

I love this post of yours mate im p*ssing my sides. 1st of all linking the 3 actives is against all wiring rules how the hell is he going to do Max Demand
2nd then using a 4mm T&E then a 2.5mm T&E again against all wiring rules. this cabbage can apply for the Logi of shit 4 brains of the year.

He says all you have to do is link the Active to the other poles.
( I dont think so) you should have snotted him there & then.

Now the most disturbing thing Steve is from July 1st (wait for it) on a 3 phase supply a "Qualified Person" can then use a Black cable as Active.
(YES you heard me mate) ( A black cable as Active) to come into line with the frigging European regulations.

So maybe this cabbage spark, is thinking ahead.????? I think not though.

As for the Heater i would have been right on the phone to the right people, this bloke is dangerous imagine if you touched the bloody thing
These people get work because they are full of Bull Sh*t & convince people they can do it cheaper.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

steve`o;

what do you think of this mate we got this electrical contracting company to install a power point at work its a Split Ducting. He had no drill bits in his tools.????

arthur

ps

i work for the education dept here in melbourne so when we are run of our feet we get contractors in, i rest my case mate
Attached Thumbnails Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)-pic-no2.jpg   Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)-pic-no3.jpg  
Old May 26th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

here is another pic of the classic power point, the spark "Nearly" bonded the lid to earth.
Oh i nearly forgot this was in a classroom the duct lid fell of & was hanging like that for 1/2 day until a teacher told me the class was full of kids all morning.

here is a close up of the "Australian Super Standards).

Arthur
Attached Thumbnails Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)-pic-no4.jpg  
Old May 26th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Oz wiring standards (a couple of pics for you)

Originally Posted by steve`o
two weeks ago i was asked to hook up a new oven in a brand new shop / installation

the oven was 80 odd kw which translated to appox 26 amp per phase tpn

the electrican had wired a three phase isolator with one 4mm twin and earth
off a spn 32amp mcb

when i quired it i was told
all you have to do mate is link out the active to the other poles and it makes three phase
wtf are you serious???

i left with instructions for the sparkie to provide a 32 amp per phase 3 phase supply

i went back a week later and the sparky had added another twin and earth a 2.5 this time using the red and black as L2 and L3 along with the original 4mm
on L1 all connected to a 32amp tpn mcb

hang on mate i carnt connect this,
the machine pulls 26 odd amps perphase this lot just aint right

answer -- ****in whinging pomm do you know what your doing ???

yep and if you carry on mate my next call will be to the electrical safety office

at this point the customer asked us to wire the machine correctly
which i did with 6mm 4c and earth orange circular
by the time i`d finished ( just before the opening of the shop ) the original sparkie had buggered off so the customer asked me why the hot water wasnt working, so i climbed up on top of the toilet block to find another 2.5 sticking out of the wall near the water heater just lying there stripped back but not connected ( and yes it was live and connected to a 32amp mcb )

how the foook do these cowboys get work ??
Got a belt a few weeks ago because of a similar incident some tosser left a lcable pluged into a socket with bare ends in a ceiling void. Energy safety advised me I should be wearing a hat hat and rubber or leather gloves when working within a ceiling void. End of story
Old May 26th 2008, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brigall
Got a belt a few weeks ago because of a similar incident some tosser left a lcable pluged into a socket with bare ends in a ceiling void. Energy safety advised me I should be wearing a hat hat and rubber or leather gloves when working within a ceiling void. End of story
We still got these jokers hiding out in the uk, all that part p stuff is balony, no body checks up on anything. I do a lot of shopfitting and the standard of work left by some of the so called 'technical service' maintainence wallas is appalling, will start taking pics in future.
Take it the aussie cable colours are going to be harmonised to go in line with europe brown,black and grey blue neutral?
Old May 26th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

it cant be all that bad, can it?

doc
Old May 26th 2008, 8:04 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonlec
We still got these jokers hiding out in the uk, all that part p stuff is balony, no body checks up on anything. I do a lot of shopfitting and the standard of work left by some of the so called 'technical service' maintainence wallas is appalling, will start taking pics in future.
Take it the aussie cable colours are going to be harmonised to go in line with europe brown,black and grey blue neutral?

why would it this aint europe mate
Old May 26th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
why would it this aint europe mate
Old May 27th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

calling all Sparks on here

your going to love this matey's ive been in contact with a bloke on another site he is from the UK, he has been told that "Aussie" sparks are the best in the world.???
do we all think this is True, so ive put him straight with an introduction of how good these cowboys really are.??

Arthur
Old May 27th 2008, 10:04 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
calling all Sparks on here

your going to love this matey's ive been in contact with a bloke on another site he is from the UK, he has been told that "Aussie" sparks are the best in the world.???
do we all think this is True, so ive put him straight with an introduction of how good these cowboys really are.??

Arthur
every aussie tradie ive met recons he`s the best in the world
mmmm aus aint as big as we thought guys
Old May 27th 2008, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=The_Pom_From_Aus;6394794]teve`o;

Now the most disturbing thing Steve is from July 1st (wait for it) on a 3 phase supply a "Qualified Person" can then use a Black cable as Active.
(YES you heard me mate) ( A black cable as Active) to come into line with the frigging European regulations.

So maybe this cabbage spark, is thinking ahead.????? I think not though.

just looking back thats all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.