British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   oz electricians working in alberta , canada??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/oz-electricians-working-alberta-canada-575472/)

shep05 Nov 27th 2008 7:40 am

oz electricians working in alberta , canada???

I am a Qualified electrician in australia and i am coming back to canada in january .i spent last winter in fernie snowboarding.but am keen to stay for longer and work as an electrician this time round.
I've read some reply's to the uk sparky's questions about working in canada.
Is it the same for us aussies.Will i need to prove my experience and sit an exam???
I have a contact who's working in alberta at the moment.Once i'm certified he's got work for me, so any help on how i go about it would be terrific!
cheers :)

moondevil Nov 30th 2008 1:29 pm

Re: oz electricians working in alberta , canada???

Your best bet would be contact the AAIT in edmonton and see if you are able to challenge the red seal exam.

If you are then you will be able to get a job here very easily, we made sure that my hubby had the 9000hrs in the trade and all his paperwork before we came for interviews.

how are you hoping to get into the country??

shep05 Dec 1st 2008 5:25 am

Thanx for the advice.Will contact AAIT asap.I'm in the process of proving my 9000 hours.Is it best to send them b4 i get to alberta.Or just take them with me to interviews??.Also with the 9000 hours, i've been qualified for 3 years now.Can include hours as an apprentice?.Cause it doesnt specify in the application.I was under the impression it would count, because you are actually hands on for most of the time as an apprentice in Australia.

I'm arriving in vancouver and then heading to fernie, b.c for a while before i head into alberta.Does that affect anything??

moondevil Dec 2nd 2008 3:03 am

Originally Posted by shep05 (Post 7024964)
Thanx for the advice.Will contact AAIT asap.I'm in the process of proving my 9000 hours.Is it best to send them b4 i get to alberta.Or just take them with me to interviews??.Also with the 9000 hours, i've been qualified for 3 years now.Can include hours as an apprentice?.Cause it doesnt specify in the application.I was under the impression it would count, because you are actually hands on for most of the time as an apprentice in Australia.

I'm arriving in vancouver and then heading to fernie, b.c for a while before i head into alberta.Does that affect anything??

yeah you are hands on in the uk as well, but sadly its only the hours that you did after you qualified ;)
if you are coming in for interviews then bring your stuff and make an appointment at the nearest AAIT office, they will copy your documents and fax them through to edmonton, they deal with all the international stuff.
should be no problems arriving at bc as you are a visitor

hope that helps ;)