British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   OSTR not accepted by DIAC? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/ostr-not-accepted-diac-734850/)

Stevecollier Oct 6th 2011 7:39 pm

OSTR not accepted by DIAC?

I recently applied for a 176 Sponsored visa but had to withdraw it as i did not get any points for qualifications, I have had my skills assessed ( general electrician) by Vetessess and received a successful outcome. I sent this in with my application but was told this was not recognised under the new points test but it is part of the application.
How do you get points for Qualifications now??????:huh:

minty01 Oct 6th 2011 8:57 pm

Re: OSTR not accepted by DIAC?

Originally Posted by Stevecollier (Post 9661757)
I recently applied for a 176 Sponsored visa but had to withdraw it as i did not get any points for qualifications, I have had my skills assessed ( general electrician) by Vetessess and received a successful outcome. I sent this in with my application but was told this was not recognised under the new points test but it is part of the application.

Hi,

From the DIAC website the SOL list from July for electricians is -

Electrician (General) 341111 Trades Recognition Australia.

TRA it seems has gone back to being the assesor for electricians which in general is a good thing as the vets is a waste of time and gets you nothing but the visa. The bad news is there will be some like yourself that are caught in the middle of the changover. You will end up having to get your ARTC from the TRA anyway, its not making you feel great now but is required in the long run. You could apeall the desicion but personally i wouldnt bother and just pay the £180 and get TRA to asses you. Another down side is the waiting list for TRA applications is about 3 months aswell.

Adamp8700 Oct 7th 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Stevecollier (Post 9661757)

Did the case officer tell you this? I applied for my 176 (electrician) 3 weeks ago, Im still waiting for a CO. As far as minty01's comment. VETASSESS is a TRA approved RTO. http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Guidelines.pdf

So the OSTR is a TRA certificate.

I'll email my visa agent and find out what she says.
I think the OSTR should be valid though - It costs more to get and its more in depth than the ARTC to obtian, also, VETASSESS are still operational. They would shut down if their grading wasnt used for anything.

minty01 Oct 7th 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adamp8700 (Post 9662506)
Did the case officer tell you this? I applied for my 176 (electrician) 3 weeks ago, Im still waiting for a CO. As far as minty01's comment. VETASSESS is a TRA approved RTO. http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Guidelines.pdf

So the OSTR is a TRA certificate.

I'll email my visa agent and find out what she says.
I think the OSTR should be valid though - It costs more to get and its more in depth than the ARTC to obtian, also, VETASSESS are still operational. They would shut down if their grading wasnt used for anything.

Hi, the OSTR is not a TRA cert. They are two different certs mate.

Adamp8700 Oct 7th 2011 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by minty01 (Post 9662858)
Hi, the OSTR is not a TRA cert. They are two different certs mate.

Still waiting to hear back from my visa agent. I read through some emails that tradeassess sent me shortly after passing the VETASSESS. She mentions that it has changed and now I have to wait until they send me a letter to accompany my OTSR. This will allow me to claim 10 points for my qualifications which is equivalent to Certificate III in electrotechnology?
I hope this is correct because Im not too impressed if they made me pay for the VET only to pay much less to get TRA approval instead.
Minty01, are you already in OZ?

minty01 Oct 8th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Adamp8700 (Post 9662883)
Still waiting to hear back from my visa agent. I read through some emails that tradeassess sent me shortly after passing the VETASSESS. She mentions that it has changed and now I have to wait until they send me a letter to accompany my OTSR. This will allow me to claim 10 points for my qualifications which is equivalent to Certificate III in electrotechnology?
I hope this is correct because Im not too impressed if they made me pay for the VET only to pay much less to get TRA approval instead.
Minty01, are you already in OZ?

Hi Mate, not in Oz yet just waiting for the house to finalise and then im off.

The lisence side of things are a mess but here is how it goes.

The vets is for the visa (or was and now its gone back to TRA) but if you do the vets even with the wiring regs course that you will still have to do you will be working as a trades assistant for 12 months.

This is why once everyone gets the visa they also do the TRAs ARTC. With the ARTC and the wiring regs course you get your licence straight away (no trades assistant).

You can start the PEER wiring regs course as long as you have a OSTR or a ARTC via distance learning from the UK which is what im also doing to save more time when i do land.

One more thing. This is for a SA licence and the mutual recognition is not as clear as it seems. If you are going to other states there may be other courses and some do not recognise the PEER route but im going to SA so dont know about the other states courses ect.

derren7 Oct 8th 2011 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by minty01 (Post 9661888)
Hi,

From the DIAC website the SOL list from July for electricians is -

Electrician (General) 341111 Trades Recognition Australia.

TRA it seems has gone back to being the assesor for electricians which in general is a good thing as the vets is a waste of time and gets you nothing but the visa. The bad news is there will be some like yourself that are caught in the middle of the changover. You will end up having to get your ARTC from the TRA anyway, its not making you feel great now but is required in the long run. You could apeall the desicion but personally i wouldnt bother and just pay the £180 and get TRA to asses you. Another down side is the waiting list for TRA applications is about 3 months aswell.

Hi minty,
According to the guidelines issued by the TRA in September 2011, Vetassess will continue to assess electricians from the UK and Ireland (along with 10 other countries) for offshore skills assessments for the purposes of migration to Australia.
Steve should contact VETASSESS and DIAC to find what the problem is. Adam has already alluded to the potential problem, so hopefully, it's only an administrative oversight.
Regards Derren

Adamp8700 Oct 9th 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by minty01 (Post 9664278)
Hi Mate, not in Oz yet just waiting for the house to finalise and then im off.

The lisence side of things are a mess but here is how it goes.

The vets is for the visa (or was and now its gone back to TRA) but if you do the vets even with the wiring regs course that you will still have to do you will be working as a trades assistant for 12 months.

This is why once everyone gets the visa they also do the TRAs ARTC. With the ARTC and the wiring regs course you get your licence straight away (no trades assistant).

You can start the PEER wiring regs course as long as you have a OSTR or a ARTC via distance learning from the UK which is what im also doing to save more time when i do land.

One more thing. This is for a SA licence and the mutual recognition is not as clear as it seems. If you are going to other states there may be other courses and some do not recognise the PEER route but im going to SA so dont know about the other states courses ect.

Alright minty, Im going to WA. Its a bit of a different process to get an 'A' licence there.... Its a lot quicker than the route you have to take. It doesnt reciprocate with other states though so it would be a pain if I choose to live elsewhere.
I have just completed the sale on my place, waiting on a CO now.. and then a visa.. I work in the middle east and my contract is good for another 18 months so Ill just stay here until I get my PR visa. The sooner the better though!

Still waiting to hear back from my visa agent about the original post.

Adamp8700 Oct 9th 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 9664827)
Hi minty,
According to the guidelines issued by the TRA in September 2011, Vetassess will continue to assess electricians from the UK and Ireland (along with 10 other countries) for offshore skills assessments for the purposes of migration to Australia.
Steve should contact VETASSESS and DIAC to find what the problem is. Adam has already alluded to the potential problem, so hopefully, it's only an administrative oversight.
Regards Derren

Hi Derren, It does say that VETASSESS is an approved Registered Training Organisation, on the DEEWR (TRA) PDF link that I posted before. I didnt notice that it was Sep 2011.... it is up to date at least.
Tradassess said it will take 60 days to process my VETASSESS completion and they will then send me the approval letter with my OTSR (which I already have a scanned copy of). I took my VET 52 days ago in SA so I should get this through soon. Hopefully!

Adamp8700 Oct 9th 2011 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Adamp8700 (Post 9665554)
Hi Derren, It does say that VETASSESS is an approved Registered Training Organisation, on the DEEWR (TRA) PDF link that I posted before. I didnt notice that it was Sep 2011.... it is up to date at least.
Tradassess said it will take 60 days to process my VETASSESS completion and they will then send me the approval letter with my OTSR (which I already have a scanned copy of). I took my VET 52 days ago in SA so I should get this through soon. Hopefully!

I mean South Africa (SA) not South Australia. (Just to clarify)

minty01 Oct 9th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 9664827)
Hi minty,
Regards Derren

Hi All,

Thats good news then and an oversight from DIAC in not recognising the OSTR. When does it change though as on the skills list it now has TRA down and vets has beed removed?

Tommo66 Oct 12th 2011 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Adamp8700 (Post 9665540)
Alright minty, Im going to WA. Its a bit of a different process to get an 'A' licence there.... Its a lot quicker than the route you have to take. It doesnt reciprocate with other states though so it would be a pain if I choose to live elsewhere.
I have just completed the sale on my place, waiting on a CO now.. and then a visa.. I work in the middle east and my contract is good for another 18 months so Ill just stay here until I get my PR visa. The sooner the better though!

Still waiting to hear back from my visa agent about the original post.

Hi
I have spoke to energy safety wa this morning and they have told me that the 'quick route' as we talk about as been a mistake on their behalf and that from now on they will only be processing apps in the same way as other states ie gap training and working as a trade assistant etc.

If i did the peer route would wa energy safety accept my A licence from the other state even tho they now have my details of having the vet OSTR.

And if like i'm reading on this thread that vets as been taken off as the assessing company and been replaced by TRA what is the process for the new TRA assessed sparks to gaining a licence and could i do it that way instead.

Any advise ?

Cheers Andy

maddyowen Oct 12th 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Guy's

Feeling very confussed at the moment we are due to head off to Sydney in the next couple of weeks.

My husband passed his Vetasses in 2009 and we are a little confussed at to what to do next.

We thought that we needed to send off his Vetasses to the office of fair trading to get a restricted licence.

Can anyone tell me is this still the case?