Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help with my OSTR electrical exam

Help with my OSTR electrical exam

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:11 am
Just Joined

herobear69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with my OSTR electrical exam

Hi fellow expat sparkies

I'm due to take my OSTR on the 26th and I'm shitting it!!
I have study notes and there seems like so much i need to cram in!
I'm particularly worried about the DOL starter motor and some of the theory, does anyone know the pass mark? I cant really afford to resit

anyone who helps I'm getting them shit faced if they're ever on the gold coast
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 4:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my OSTR electrical exam (Australia)

Originally Posted by herobear69
Hi fellow expat sparkies

I'm particularly worried about the DOL starter motor and some of the theory, does anyone know the pass mark? I cant really afford to resit

I've moved this to the electricians forum as this is where you'll find the best advice.

There are a couple of drawings of the DOL on the site if you use the search function (look in the peach coloured button bar and use advanced search to limit the scope). Google can probably also find it.

The control is mains supply so just tap off one of the phases.

No idea on the pass mark - I'd guess it would depend on whether or not you do something dangerous. When I did my prac, half the people there were resits though
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice
Default Re: Help with my OSTR electrical exam

If any of their other tests/exams are to go by, surely you would have access to the regs book which has everything in. To renew your licence every 5 years the test is awkward in places due to their use of English and certain terms used. but I reckon if my 16 yr old son read the book a couple of times he would pass it. It is another Australian joke in the name of safety and licencing, Oh and $$$$. Now go out and see the standard of work out there.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 10:52 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
If any of their other tests/exams are to go by, surely you would have access to the regs book which has everything in. To renew your licence every 5 years the test is awkward in places due to their use of English and certain terms used. but I reckon if my 16 yr old son read the book a couple of times he would pass it. It is another Australian joke in the name of safety and licencing, Oh and $$$$. Now go out and see the standard of work out there.
The test for OTSR is a combination of theory and practical. You do not have access to the regs book as the test is not about them - you have to do the regs as part of gap training later.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I guess I would be a little concerned. Its been a some years now. Would still be surprised if was that difficult for anyone time served and up to date. Always best to enter these things fearing the worst though and revise extra.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
I guess I would be a little concerned. Its been a some years now. Would still be surprised if was that difficult for anyone time served and up to date. Always best to enter these things fearing the worst though and revise extra.
I think I was most worried about the practical since I hadn't done any conduit bending since my apprenticeship as I've always worked industrial maintenance and controls - the DOL on the other hand was a breeze (as was DC theory and the transformer and fault finding). Took me three attempts to get the offset bend flat enough to go on the wall at the correct measurements
Old Mar 1st 2015, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

hey people

I took it last Thursday passed with flying colours, The revision notes I was sent (and paid 80 quid for!!) were actually far more advanced that what was actually covered in the test, The DOL motor which I was a bit worried about wasn't too bad at all, I rang my old mentor back in England and he sent me a more basic drawing than the one I'd be given and talked me through the circuit and things began to click,
the second practical was similar to what you'd get on the AM2 except much easier, all your containment was done for you and everything was already wired! you pretty much just had to second fix then perform your basic tests (R1 + R2, insulation resistance etc)
Theory wasn't too bad either, Ohms law came up a bit, calculations of resistors in series and parallel, volt drop, cable selection and a chunk of health + safety.
assessor was friendly and tried to steer you in the right direction if you weren't sure
my advice to any spark worth his salt taking this is just brush up on the areas you think you're weak and you should have no problem, thanks to old sparkles and the others who've given good advice, cheers lads!

If any of you could help me with the next steps I be very grateful

Thanks

Last edited by herobear69; Mar 1st 2015 at 10:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Aidan1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herobear69
Hi fellow expat sparkies

Hi what did the practical involve as I'm taking it next week?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Hi

If you check the rest of this thread I pretty much covered what the test covers, if you're a good spark you'll find it a breeze, just brush up on you're theory a bit, and revise the DOL start motor
Are you taking it in England or australia? I did mine in brissy and the assessors were pretty sound
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Taking it in Sydney I'm just a bit worried about the testing bit as I never really had to do much testing with my company at home .

What steps did you take after you passed it ??
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:46 am
Just Joined

I'd say the testing on the am2 is harder than the ostr, if you passed the am2 you should have no problems
After passing I struggled to find work for a while but then got a job doing BMS, it's elv so you don't need a license to do it and I'm saving my pay to put in for my perminant residency, after that I'm looking at doing the gap training and getting back on the 240v, not sure if I can get it doing elv but what I'm doing is half decent money and on my doorstep
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:52 am
Just Joined

I didn't do my trade in the UK so not sure what the am2 is but I should be alright just need to go over few things for it

Once you get trade recognition can you apply for permianant residency then or do you have to wait till you get your full licence ??
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Where are you from? Yeah I think if you get tr you can apply for pr
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aidan1984
I didn't do my trade in the UK so not sure what the am2 is but I should be alright just need to go over few things for it

Once you get trade recognition can you apply for permianant residency then or do you have to wait till you get your full licence ??
You only need the valid skills assessment for the visa application - as well as proof of English competency, age, etc. Plenty of help on the visa side of things in the Australia section

I don't generally do much installation testing - maintenance, repairs and plc's - but managed to get through the OTSR okay. Plus side is that motor DOL's were a breeze for me so it's swings and roundabouts - everyone finds some bits harder than others
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

I served my time in Ireland so it's a different system than the UK

Yeah I'm thinking of going for permanent residency as soon as I can.cheers for the information

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.