The Official Sparky Thread

Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Official Sparky Thread

Originally Posted by melbert
Hi all,

My OH has got his assessment on 14th April, fingers crossed and all that, not just for him but for everyone!! We are then going to wait for results and if positive result, we are going to try to get sponsored. We've got some info on time scales, info on types of visa's, whether a particular one takes 3-6 months or 12-15 months and whether it's points tested or not that were supplied to us from the London expo, we have more details, if anyone is interested, just ask!! We will also put OH's cv details on sites that we given to him at the expo and see if anything comes through from them.

Docgp, from the impression that my OH got from the expo, they are crying out for people in the mines, he didn't get any info as he didn't fancy the working pattern, it would mean a lot less time together as a family, the opposite of one of the reasons why we're going!!!

We are looking at Perth area or Adelaide, think we may fry in somewhere like Brisbane as I have the palest skin it reflects the sun and my son has had the misfortune of taking after me on that one!!!

Good Luck again to everyone, hope the wait is over soon!

Mel
new info on the vetts website....

QUOTE - What is an OTSR? How does it link to licensing?
(New) In the electrical and plumbing occupations, regulators expect that intending migrants will be able to demonstrate the technical skill competencies but will not be able to demonstrate the appropriate Australian related knowledge until they have had experience working in Australia. This Australian related knowledge will need to be addressed through gap training on arrival.

The Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) is a new form of skills documentation that is issued by VETASSESS on successful completion of the technical component of the relevant units of competency or qualification. It lists the technical skills demonstrated in the practical assessment and the gap in the Australian skills or knowledge component which needs to be bridged to meet the full standard, for example the Australian Wiring Rules for electrical trades.

Regulators in these industries have agreed to provide a provisional (restricted) licence against the OTSR to allow applicants to work, once they arrive in Australia, while they complete the ‘Australian knowledge’ element of each unit.

Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) including TAFE Colleges will view the OTSR as evidence of recognition of prior learning contributing to a statement of attainment or qualification. Some RTOs in each State and/or Territory will offer the required gap training to meet the qualification and licensing requirements.

For information about licensing in electrical and plumbing trades in each state/territory download the electrical trades licence matrix or the plumbing licence matrix and follow the links to the relevant regulators in each State and/or Territory.

In most trades time spent working ‘on the job’ and additional ‘gap training’ will be required to qualify for a full licence. The ‘gap training’ is likely to be provided on a fee for service basis by the RTO. QUOTE

Still no mention of the ARTC!! Fingers crossed!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonsparx

(New) In the electrical and plumbing occupations, regulators expect that intending migrants will be able to demonstrate the technical skill competencies but will not be able to demonstrate the appropriate Australian related knowledge until they have had experience working in Australia. This Australian related knowledge will need to be addressed through gap training on arrival.

The Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) is a new form of skills documentation that is issued by VETASSESS on successful completion of the technical component of the relevant units of competency or qualification. It lists the technical skills demonstrated in the practical assessment and the gap in the Australian skills or knowledge component which needs to be bridged to meet the full standard, for example the Australian Wiring Rules for electrical trades.

Regulators in these industries have agreed to provide a provisional (restricted) licence against the OTSR to allow applicants to work, once they arrive in Australia, while they complete the ‘Australian knowledge’ element of each unit.

Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) including TAFE Colleges will view the OTSR as evidence of recognition of prior learning contributing to a statement of attainment or qualification. Some RTOs in each State and/or Territory will offer the required gap training to meet the qualification and licensing requirements.

For information about licensing in electrical and plumbing trades in each state/territory download the electrical trades licence matrix or the plumbing licence matrix and follow the links to the relevant regulators in each State and/or Territory.

In most trades time spent working ‘on the job’ and additional ‘gap training’ will be required to qualify for a full licence. The ‘gap training’ is likely to be provided on a fee for service basis by the RTO. QUOTE

great post!!!!!!!!

doc
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonsparx

having read that i interpret it as the vetts cert replacing the artc cert
you`ll still have to do a wiring course to gain your licence to work
so just re-route every one to peer once they arrive and it`ll all be sweet

regards steve
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: The Official Sparky Thread

I hate revision!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else studying today for this weeks practicals??

needed a break and thought i would see how fellow sparks are coping

Good luck to all

Doc
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by docgp
I hate revision!!!!!!!!!!

Doc
im glad i did revise!

some tricky questions to answer on the morning of the test but all seemed ok

glad its all over

doc
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
having read that i interpret it as the vetts cert replacing the artc cert
you`ll still have to do a wiring course to gain your licence to work
so just re-route every one to peer once they arrive and it`ll all be sweet

regards steve
spoke to a vetassess rep on my practical today and from a succesfull outcome you do get a provisional licence which will be validated in your chosen area of work ie state

this means that you are able to do electrical work but supervised

the only thing to do after this is study the Australian Regulations

is this the PEER steve?

doc
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

spoke to a vetassess rep on my practical today and from a succesfull outcome you do get a provisional licence which will be validated in your chosen area of work ie state

this means that you are able to do electrical work but supervised

the only thing to do after this is study the Australian Regulations

is this the PEER steve?

doc
sort of you can study in your chosen state but peer in south australia is the quickest way to do it
ie peer it takes about 3 weeks to do the course and get your licence which you then change for one in your chosen state under the recipical agreement,

i did mine in qld and it took 4 months and that was quick compared to going to the local tafe ( college ) where it would ahave taken at least 6 months possible a lot longer as they only run one course a year starting in feb and finishing in aug so if you arived in say apr you`d be made to wait till the following feb to start the course the same applies for a contractors course

again i did mine via a private rto ( recognised training organisation ) qet ( queensland electrical training http://www.qet.edu.au/ ) but it all takes time where if you go via peer they will get it all done electrical licence and contractors in about a month,

hope this helps explain it bettter

regards steve
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
sort of you can study in your chosen state but peer in south australia is the quickest way to do it
ie peer it takes about 3 weeks to do the course and get your licence which you then change for one in your chosen state under the recipical agreement,

i did mine in qld and it took 4 months and that was quick compared to going to the local tafe ( college ) where it would ahave taken at least 6 months possible a lot longer as they only run one course a year starting in feb and finishing in aug so if you arived in say apr you`d be made to wait till the following feb to start the course the same applies for a contractors course

again i did mine via a private rto ( recognised training organisation ) qet ( queensland electrical training http://www.qet.edu.au/ ) but it all takes time where if you go via peer they will get it all done electrical licence and contractors in about a month,

hope this helps explain it bettter

regards steve
this does help, ty steve

when i finally arrive in the land of down under, i promise to buy you a beer or twelve

your a legend and so too wendy

doc
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Hi Doc my OH is glad the practical is over, he also said the questions were a bit mind numbing that early in the morning just have to wait for results now Good luck for your results and anyone else who is doing their practicals.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

any one got any results yet from the practical in london??

doc
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Not yet hopefully we will have them by Friday, practical was on the 8th
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

carl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nicecarl-ang is just really nice

The waiting is the worst!

We are back to checking email first thing in the morning.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Fingers crossed for everyone , my Hubby did his today, he feels ok about it but only the results will tell eh!!

Here's back to waiting again!!!

Mel
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exclamation Re: The Official Sparky Thread

anyone read the new paragraph on vetassess home page about OTR and licensing?

your thoughts??

doc
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:15 pm
Worongary

anyone read the new paragraph on vetassess home page about OTR and licensing?

your thoughts??

doc
having read the pdf

this is replacing the artc and possibly the first step of the licensing process ie the application for the permit to train ( although they currently require a valid cpr cert to accompany your application so i`d guess that this would still be the case so get your cpr done asap on arrival ) you will still have to do a wiring course of some form so again i would advise fellow sparkies to go the peer route in south australia simply because its the quickest way to get licenced and start earning some money

if any one wants info re peer then wends is your first call

regards steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.