British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   October Practical Glasgow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/october-practical-glasgow-559484/)

stixblue Sep 4th 2008 3:44 pm

October Practical Glasgow

Hello

Anyone else heading for Glasgow on 13th of October for there practical assessment?

Cheers Davey

Glasgow Sep 7th 2008 9:47 pm

Re: October Practical Glasgow

Not heading for October Practical but would be interested to know how you went about getting on it & also what you have revised before you go.
Cheers

steve`o Sep 9th 2008 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Glasgow (Post 6759571)
Not heading for October Practical but would be interested to know how you went about getting on it & also what you have revised before you go.
Cheers

its part of the whole assessment proccess mate start here

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cf...a_how_to_apply

Glasgow Sep 9th 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks Steve,
kinda concerned due to the fact my current role is Electrical building services - HV switching & maintenance, HVAC & controls, Building management systems, fire detection & maintenance supervision, the general elec. test seems more geared towards installation and testing which is not on my list.
I have read quite a few threads and I think that in order to carry out any type of work similar to what I am doing now I'll need to go down the study route, try and remember stuff from college and pass the test, would you agree:)
(or does a sneaky plan b exist:))

steve`o Sep 10th 2008 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Glasgow (Post 6767165)
Thanks Steve,
kinda concerned due to the fact my current role is Electrical building services - HV switching & maintenance, HVAC & controls, Building management systems, fire detection & maintenance supervision, the general elec. test seems more geared towards installation and testing which is not on my list.
I have read quite a few threads and I think that in order to carry out any type of work similar to what I am doing now I'll need to go down the study route, try and remember stuff from college and pass the test, would you agree:)
(or does a sneaky plan b exist:))

HV gear? are you more a linesman ??

Glasgow Sep 10th 2008 10:11 pm

Dont tick the majority of boxes for the linesman either, lots of writing switching schedules, carrying out the switching and isolation:o for maintenance.
(sorry for hijacking this thread)

dobaman Sep 11th 2008 7:43 am

hi glasgow. i am a bms engineer and have also done the building services thing. the vetassess assessment is a one size fits all type test for all elec competent people.

you will need to apply and be deemed "worthy" to take the test! its basically a paper assessment where you supply certificates, references and employment history etc.

once that bits done they give you a date for the practical.

once youve sat the practical assessment the assessors ask you to pick from a list of trades that best meet your profession in uk. i found the closest to mine was electrotechnology.

when you get to the assessment stage you need to check steve'o post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520432

cos its got all you need to know

its a long and painful (at times) process, costs a fair bit too:frown: but a new life awaits (hopefully):)

d

Glasgow Sep 11th 2008 10:38 am

Great bit of info and reassurance, many thanks D:thumbsup:
I guess it's one of these things that has to be done, I'm assuming the rewards for going through the cost / process is the increased paypacket on the other side:p

dobaman Sep 11th 2008 1:28 pm

my understanding is, no license = no job or immigration.

the most direct way to get a license (temporary one) is the vetassess route. then once you have your ossr (off shore skills record) you can get your temp license. you can then work supervised on elec systems. the pay still isnt great at this stage though. once in oz do the peer thing and get a full license, then you should be cooking.

they do seem to be short on the high end tech stuff. bms and controls engineers are particularly scarce and the salary seems good for those. you thought about sponsorship?

d

Glasgow Sep 11th 2008 1:55 pm

Sponsorship it definitely something I would consider, the plan in my head is to get made redundant within the next 6 months head to the Gold coast or thereabouts for 3 years with the redundancy money and keep the house on here, if we like it so much then we can make a decision to stay or go home.
As I say thats the plan in my head reality might be a bit different:D

I am thinking of heading to the Expo in London on the 26 October to get some idea's about sponsorship and the way to go about it, I take it BMS & control engineer's also need to sit an examination of some sort? or is it a case of if your sponsored they can fasttrack you? (really clutching at straws here to save me studying up:lol:)

dobaman Sep 11th 2008 4:59 pm

well, a friend of mine was sponsored but he had no formal qualifications (electrically) the TRA contacted previous employers etc and he was working in aus within 3 months. the problem with a temp sponsored visa is, if you dont like it (or they dont like you) you go home (or find another sponsor)
there is a bit of confusion about the TRA and vetassess at the moment.
the safest bet is vetassess. as long as you pass youre past the first hurdle. the TRA rely on references and the like and can be long and drawn out. not sure you'd have to study too much, its not rocket science;) just like you final exams at college but not as detailed.
i am on a sponsored visa for a few months, until my skilled residency visa gets processed. it was just easier for my employer to get my temp license sorted with the vetassess system.

if youve got a fair amount of money (and youre of a certain age:o) you can go for a retirement residency visa. speak to a good agent for a free assessment and some advice. ours are ASA and have been excellent to date.:thumbup:

d

Glasgow Sep 11th 2008 5:52 pm

Friend from Perth warned me about the sponsored job scenario, I guess you wont know until you have gave it a go, it's not something I would rule out though, how have you found yours? To go down that route is it just a case of looking at job sites and finding a company to take you on in your field?

I've got a bit of time so the vetassess seems like the banker option at the moment, going off track a bit, as I said the plan is for 3 years only, would that be held against me when applying for a skilled residency visa ?

Thanks again, understanding more about the process by the day with you guys.

p.s I've got another 30 years work before i can retire im afraid!

dobaman Sep 11th 2008 8:17 pm

sir i tip my hat to you:cool: 3 years sabatical at your age, fantastic.

i was tracked down like a pig and offered a job, so ive been real lucky i guess.

before we go any further on the open forum (they aint to keen on private conversations etc) do you know how the private messaging works?

i will pm you, once you log in you should see an inbox reminder at the top right of screen, click on that and see how you do.
:thumbup:

hanash Sep 14th 2008 11:14 am

any bricklayers for glasgow in oct