British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Next step (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/next-step-602534/)

sean.eldridge Apr 8th 2009 5:36 pm

Next step

Hey, Im just wondering what is my next move? I have passed the vetasses practical and have my offshore certificate, my visa application has been lodged today so I have 3 month wait for that, Im just wondering if there is any more I can do with my licence before I get to oz?Thanks for all of your help.

moriarty711 Apr 10th 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Next step

3 months don't make me laugh!!!!!!!!

sean.eldridge Apr 10th 2009 5:52 pm

is it longer than three months then?

steve`o Apr 10th 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by sean.eldridge (Post 7469826)
is it longer than three months then?

what type of visa have you applied for sean?

shar07 Apr 11th 2009 10:36 am

We are on a 176 wa sponsored and it took 9 months for our visa to come through and that was before all the changes, I think a lot longer than 3 months. Best of luck though :thumbsup::thumbsup:

moriarty711 Apr 11th 2009 12:22 pm

Sorry probably not the most helpful reply!
I'm just a bit fed up at the moment. If the DIAC was a private company they'd shut it down as a scam I can't believe they are still taking money for Vetassaess assesments when they have no intention of giving out visas for the forseeable future!.

shar07 Apr 11th 2009 3:23 pm

I completely agree with you especially as when we get to oz vetassess will prob be the worst way to get the A licence, but we dont know for sure and will find out on our reccie in June :rofl: and if there are any jobs :unsure:

sean.eldridge Apr 12th 2009 12:50 pm

Hey Steve-O Im going on a 475 visa.

Kirby Reynolds Apr 12th 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Sean what type of visa s that your going on there? We was going on 175 until this month now we are going on 176 unless they dont sponser us!! The agent we spoke to said generally 3 months for this visa but sometimes 7 to 8.
just taken practical at blackburn last thursday. so need to see out come of that first. the assesor i had (Eric) said that vetasses was getting mothballed in 18 months. He also said things are real bad out there for work. He was from Melbourne way.

Thanks steve o for the "read me stuff" really helped. we are heading your way providing we passed the practical and then the visa (brisbane, Goldcoast) hows the work situation? still Bad?

finger crossed for passing the practical :unsure:

Chris Ball Apr 12th 2009 11:51 pm

still Bad?

Thats an understatement :thumbdown: In Saturdays courier mail (the main brisbane job paper) there was 1 advert for electrician and in the gold coast paper there were none compared to a page full 18 months ago. My advice for anyone at present would be to stay put and think very carefully, i certainly would not have come out knowing what i know now.

Kirby Reynolds Apr 13th 2009 6:46 am

How long have you been on the gold coast chris? are you in work yourself? I am starting to wonder about coming out. has anyone got any clue to how long this vetassess off shore certificate is valid for, should we decide to wait?

Chris Ball Apr 13th 2009 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Kirby Reynolds (Post 7475045)
How long have you been on the gold coast chris? are you in work yourself? I am starting to wonder about coming out. has anyone got any clue to how long this vetassess off shore certificate is valid for, should we decide to wait?

We came out here October 08 and i have only just started working in the last 2 weeks. Im working in Brisbane CBD on a large commercial high rise, would prefer to be local but nothing going on the gold coast. Cant help with the vetassess as i went the TRA route.

shar07 Apr 13th 2009 11:09 am

It is a pretty scary thought, we are thinking about validating visa in June then perhaps leave it a while for things to pick up. OH has a good secure job over here do not really want to come to Perth and not get anything. :(