Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

newly qualified electrician..advice please!!

newly qualified electrician..advice please!!

Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

tasha rogers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newly qualified electrician..advice please!!

Hi!
My husband and myself have 5 years before we can emigrate to Australia (family issues!), our plan is that I am going to re-train as a primary school teacher(I'm currently a fitness instructor) My husband is a data cabling engineer, but wants to go to Australia as a electrician. He is going on a
Electrical Installation(Fast track 12 weeks)
City & Guilds 2330 Electrotechnical Technology course at the end of this year.

He is then planning on doing a4 weeks)
Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2391-10

We are a little concerned as we have read some threads saying that he will need a min of 7 years experience, wheres he will only have 3-4 years experience as a electrician before going over. My question is...could he still work as an electrician in Oz? we don't want all his hard work going to waste!, or will it be a case of having to be a sparky's mate until he tots up the right amount of time needed?...any advice would be really REALLY! appreciated
Tasha and Ty
Old Feb 14th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: newly qualified electrician..advice please!!

Have a look at the Vetasses website. It talks about a minimum of 2 years experience.

Good luck with your plans. 5 years seens so far away! I am itching to go now and we're in the process of doing our vetassess assessment.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

tasha rogers;

if he did an apprentiship he needs 4 years after all training, if ge does a course he shall require 7 years post training, its as simple as that.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:27 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tasha rogers
Hi!
My husband and myself have 5 years before we can emigrate to Australia (family issues!), our plan is that I am going to re-train as a primary school teacher(I'm currently a fitness instructor) My husband is a data cabling engineer, but wants to go to Australia as a electrician. He is going on a

Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2391-10

We are a little concerned as we have read some threads saying that he will need a min of 7 years experience, wheres he will only have 3-4 years experience as a electrician before going over. My question is...could he still work as an electrician in Oz? we don't want all his hard work going to waste!, or will it be a case of having to be a sparky's mate until he tots up the right amount of time needed?...any advice would be really REALLY! appreciated
Tasha and Ty
wow 12 weeks to become an electrician i am guessing he would be JIB graded afterwards also?

Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Feb 14th 2009 at 9:32 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:44 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

what they are looking for is that you have the same knowledge and experience as an australian sparks and the way of doing that is by an apprenticeship or experience and other qualifications like you are saying. you have to remember that the electrical trade is highly regulated over here to ensure that the people that are working as electricians are qualified and have enough experience to be able to do the job. so even by doing these courses you wouldnt have the experience to be competent to do the job as you would only have 12 weeks of experience (or 4 years at time of emigrating); and having come throw this route my self understand that you can't become a sparky in 12 weeks, it takes years to gain the knowledge and experience, im still learning after 12 years and still will be learning for the next 30 years. you must remember that even after 4 years that would only be the same length of time as doing an apprenticeship in australia.
so at the end of the day becoming an electrician isnt going to be quick and easy if you want the aussies to recognize you as an electrician.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:01 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tasha rogers
Hi!

City & Guilds 2391-10

Tasha and Ty

http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...lectrician.pdf

http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...lectrician.pdf

personally i`d send this question to vettesses themselves
when its out of the ordinary i feel that relying on us to give a difinative answer isnt what i`d be doing to decide my working future

regards steve
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
wow 12 weeks to become an electrician i am guessing he would be JIB graded afterwards also?

Dougie
Yes, Apparently now you can get 'Boil in the bag sparks!'
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

it does not matter one bit regarding the short course for C&G, he must have 7 years experience or 4 years as an apprentice trained spark.

there is noway he shall be given the green light to migrate on his short amount of experience, sorry to say but as somebody on here said they look for the amount of experience to compar to the australian system
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Thanks for your very thoughtful quote Chris, thats a real help !!!!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
it does not matter one bit regarding the short course for C&G, he must have 7 years experience or 4 years as an apprentice trained spark.

there is noway he shall be given the green light to migrate on his short amount of experience, sorry to say but as somebody on here said they look for the amount of experience to compar to the australian system
ok thanks everyone who gave me a sensible reply, so if we were to get to oz on my job, could my hubby still work as a sparky's mate, or would nobody touch him with a barge poll as he would only have the 4 years experience, many thanks Tasha..
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Vetassess is not TRA.

My Vetassess paperbased completion certificate says clearly....

" EVIDENCE PROVIDED OF EMPLOYMENT IN RELEVANT TRADE OF OVER 5 YEARS - YES "

This is their minimum requirement.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasha rogers;

i did not intend to sound mean im just being honest love thats all.
However if you both come on your qualifications, there is no reason why he cannot work for 2 to 3 years as a restricted license holder then after that take the A class license giving him full qualifications to work in Australia.

so its not that bad at the end of the day
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
tasha rogers;

i did not intend to sound mean im just being honest love thats all.
However if you both come on your qualifications, there is no reason why he cannot work for 2 to 3 years as a restricted license holder then after that take the A class license giving him full qualifications to work in Australia.

so its not that bad at the end of the day
I was refering to Chris (the boil in the bag comment) thanks very much pom you and everyone else have been a great help, we now know what our targets are, many thanks Tasha ..
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Love this attitude amongst sparks, fortunately not all have the same one.
The fact that to be a spark you have to have done an apprenticeship when you leave school or never!!
Some people dont make the right decisions but thankfully I am one of these guys, I did my courses on resettlement leave from the Navy and am widely regarded amongst local sparks of 20 years plus experience as excellent at my job, better than most time served sparks and judjing from some of the work I have had to correct I would agree.
The point I am making is a fair go should be given to guys coming off these fast track courses, some guys on my course were awful, had no common sense and have probably got nowhere but not all of us are the same.
I sought practical experience with experienced sparks every chance I got and now they phone me to do work for them so I can't be that bad!
Thing is Tash, tell your OH to go for it but get experience cos he'll need it there's loads to learn, goodluck!!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mags1972
Love this attitude amongst sparks, fortunately not all have the same one.
The fact that to be a spark you have to have done an apprenticeship when you leave school or never!!
Some people dont make the right decisions but thankfully I am one of these guys, I did my courses on resettlement leave from the Navy and am widely regarded amongst local sparks of 20 years plus experience as excellent at my job, better than most time served sparks and judjing from some of the work I have had to correct I would agree.
The point I am making is a fair go should be given to guys coming off these fast track courses, some guys on my course were awful, had no common sense and have probably got nowhere but not all of us are the same.
I sought practical experience with experienced sparks every chance I got and now they phone me to do work for them so I can't be that bad!
Thing is Tash, tell your OH to go for it but get experience cos he'll need it there's loads to learn, goodluck!!
Call me old fashioned but the apprenticeship route has served both us brits and the aussies pretty well for nigh on 90 years......:-D.

I have nothing against people re-training or changing careers but the playing field should be level.....

For guys that have experience of electrical work outwith the usual four years ie HM forces then I think suitable "gap training" or whatever is fair enough.

But these bloody "train to be a spark in six week" companies (note it's the companies NOT the individuals who undertake the courses i'm criticising) should be SHOT.....especially that lot that advertises on setanta....they get right on my goat!!!!!.

Just had to vent there!

Apologies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.