Newbie and very confused

Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

loolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really nice
Default Newbie and very confused

Hi All
Have just joined the site and whilst there is loads of useful information, I am finding it all a bit confusing.
I am a newly qualified midwife hopefully starting a graduate midwifery programme in February. My husband is an electrician in the UK and whilst he and the kids will be coming out on my 457 visa he would like to find work as soon as possible.
Basically where do we start? Can we start the ball rolling now or leave it will we get there. The grad programme isn't that well paid so I would be a little worried about money once we arrive there if he can't get work.
Sorry to be a girl writing on such a manly forum but sure he will be on himself later to ask all sorts of questions.
Thanks in advance.
Laura
Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:45 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newbie and very confused

Originally Posted by loolaa1909
Hi All
Have just joined the site and whilst there is loads of useful information, I am finding it all a bit confusing.
I am a newly qualified midwife hopefully starting a graduate midwifery programme in February. My husband is an electrician in the UK and whilst he and the kids will be coming out on my 457 visa he would like to find work as soon as possible.
Basically where do we start? Can we start the ball rolling now or leave it will we get there. The grad programme isn't that well paid so I would be a little worried about money once we arrive there if he can't get work.
Sorry to be a girl writing on such a manly forum but sure he will be on himself later to ask all sorts of questions.
Thanks in advance.
Laura

Hi there, iv only been in oz for 4 weeks. Im also on a 457 visa and my girlfriend is also a nurse, thats how we got out here she was sponserd by Cairns hospital. First thing your other half will have to is get hold of an ARTC form. Look on here about the ARTC and you should find plenty of info about it. Give me a shout if you need any more advice. There are plenty of people on here that will help you out!

Stu
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
Thanks in advance.
Laura

Yipee! another girl

Welcome to the site Laura,

As Stu said, you'll need to apply to the TRA for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate. Here's their website: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

If you e-mail them, they will send you a form to your UK address. I'd say that you should get hold of the form at least before you come as you will need copies of qualifications, references etc and they are a lot easier to get while you're still there.

You can post it back to them from there, however you will need an Australian address for them to post the results back to as they won't post them to the UK.

Where are you planning on settling, we can then also give you some idea of what he needs to do when you get here so he can get licenced as soon as possible.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

loolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really nice

Thanks for replies so far, sorry Wendy, area would have helped eh!
We would be looking in the Melbourne area. The hospital that I would need to get to is in Fitzroy which looking at internet is very expensive so any suggestions on places to live within easy reach would also be greatly appreciated too!
I have downloaded an application form for a "application for assessment of trade training and experience", is that what you are talking about or is that something different and unneccessary.
Sure you are going to get completely fed up with my questions but finding it all very daunting but exciting all the same!
Laura x
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies so far, sorry Wendy, area would have helped eh!
We would be looking in the Melbourne area. The hospital that I would need to get to is in Fitzroy which looking at internet is very expensive so any suggestions on places to live within easy reach would also be greatly appreciated too!
I have downloaded an application form for a "application for assessment of trade training and experience", is that what you are talking about or is that something different and unneccessary.
Sure you are going to get completely fed up with my questions but finding it all very daunting but exciting all the same!
Laura x

No, that's the wrong form. That one is for the pre-migration assessment, which you don't need to bother about. The ARTC is more or less the same though so look through that one while you wait for the right one to come, you can make a start then. Another page of the TRA site that may be useful for you is this one: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ia4Oct2006.pdf

Info on licencing in Victoria is here: http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/ForElectri...9/Default.aspx

Help with Melbourne I'll have to leave to others as I have never been there If you post in the nurses section of the site you may get some answers about the hospital too. http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Hello again
Well it looks like the move to melbourne is definitely on, I got an e-mail confirming I had got the job so its all systems go for a hopeful start in Jan/Feb 2008, is that a little optimistic?
Anyway, have received the correct forms for the ARTC and I just wanted to check something. Because my hubby will be coming on my visa we don't need to do the pre migration thing, is that right? And if that is the case then we don't have to panic about the new Vetassess thing because the TRA will continue to process the ARTC or am I getting myself in a complete mucking fuddle?
I am sure one of you lovely people will be able to set me straight.
many thanks in advance
Laura x
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hello again
Well it looks like the move to melbourne is definitely on, I got an e-mail confirming I had got the job so its all systems go for a hopeful start in Jan/Feb 2008, is that a little optimistic?
Anyway, have received the correct forms for the ARTC and I just wanted to check something. Because my hubby will be coming on my visa we don't need to do the pre migration thing, is that right? And if that is the case then we don't have to panic about the new Vetassess thing because the TRA will continue to process the ARTC or am I getting myself in a complete mucking fuddle?
I am sure one of you lovely people will be able to set me straight.
many thanks in advance
Laura x

Yes, you have it right. The ARTC assessment will cost you $300 (I think, not checked for a while.)