British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   newbie needs help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/newbie-needs-help-513051/)

weegogs Feb 9th 2008 2:40 pm

newbie needs help

hi everyone,i'm a 39yo spark just starting the process and my heids bursting,from what i understand i'll have to sit the vetasses thingy then meds and police checks then hopefuly get the skilled perm visa.Its what happens after that i'm not sure about,when i get to queensland can i go into work straight away or do i have to do any other tests,i've read things like cpr certs,blue cards,artc's and 16 week tafe courses in south australia,can anyone help cheers

weegogs

Wendy Feb 9th 2008 10:00 pm

Re: newbie needs help

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 5908626)
hi everyone,i'm a 39yo spark just starting the process and my heids bursting,from what i understand i'll have to sit the vetasses thingy then meds and police checks then hopefuly get the skilled perm visa.Its what happens after that i'm not sure about,when i get to queensland can i go into work straight away or do i have to do any other tests,i've read things like cpr certs,blue cards,artc's and 16 week tafe courses in south australia,can anyone help cheers

weegogs

When you have your visa and are ready to come over then you will need to apply for a licence to be able to work fully as an electrician here.

For QLD, you are best looking for posts from Steve 'O as that is his area and he will be able to make it clearer than I will, as I'll probably get something in the wrong order. :D

The South Australia wiring rules course is done at Peer, who are a registered training organisation and their course takes about 3 weeks. :)

cjgoodall Feb 11th 2008 7:33 pm

i am in the same position as you mate, but as i understand you can work once there on a provisional licence which means lower rate of pay. Having read other threads on this site I think you can do the blue card on the net and the cpr course can be done at st johns ambulance which will save you some time on arrival.

hope this helps.

weegogs Feb 11th 2008 9:30 pm

cheers mate thanks for the reply,thats put my mind at rest i thought i was having to go to sa for 16 weeks,what do have to do to get your full licence

cheers

weegos

Wendy Feb 11th 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 5918777)
cheers mate thanks for the reply,thats put my mind at rest i thought i was having to go to sa for 16 weeks,what do have to do to get your full licence

cheers

weegos

It doesn't take 16 weeks in South Australia, it takes 3 weeks. :D

Look for posts from Steve 'O, he is in QLD :)

weegogs Feb 11th 2008 10:04 pm

thanks for that wendy,i'm glad i found this forum its a hive of information

cheers

weegogs