newbie needs advice

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

del2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie needs advice

hi all,
Can anybody tell what i am likely to except with regards to obtaining my
queensland electrical licence,i am in the process of appyling to the TRA in the
trade of electrican special class.Do you have to be a resident to apply? whats involved? how long does it take? and anything else that may help me in anyway at all .Any and all info must appreciated

many thanks

lee
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie needs advice

Originally Posted by del2005
hi all,
Can anybody tell what i am likely to except with regards to obtaining my
queensland electrical licence,i am in the process of appyling to the TRA in the
trade of electrican special class.Do you have to be a resident to apply? whats involved? how long does it take? and anything else that may help me in anyway at all .Any and all info must appreciated

many thanks

lee

Hi Lee,

You'll need to apply to the TRA again when you get here for an ARTC (Australian Recognised Trades Certificate), using the same stuff you send in for the pre-migration assessment. You need to make sure that there is sufficient evidence of connecting to the mains to be able to get a Mechanics certification. (If you get a fitters cert. then you will have problems getting a full unrestricted licence.)

Once you get your ARTC (takes about a month to come through) you can then apply to TAFE to attend a course. Once you've done the course you can then apply for a full licence and away you go. I think (but not 100%) that while you are doing the course you can get a training licence, which enables you to work as a trades assistant while you attend the course.

Look for posts by Steve 'o as he is based up there and is just doing all this now.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:31 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Lee,

You'll need to apply to the TRA again when you get here for an ARTC (Australian Recognised Trades Certificate), using the same stuff you send in for the pre-migration assessment. You need to make sure that there is sufficient evidence of connecting to the mains to be able to get a Mechanics certification. (If you get a fitters cert. then you will have problems getting a full unrestricted licence.)

Once you get your ARTC (takes about a month to come through) you can then apply to TAFE to attend a course. Once you've done the course you can then apply for a full licence and away you go. I think (but not 100%) that while you are doing the course you can get a training licence, which enables you to work as a trades assistant while you attend the course.

Look for posts by Steve 'o as he is based up there and is just doing all this now.
just look out for uncle steve`o

no seriously do a search and all will be come clear

failing that pm me and i`ll do my best to help

start at

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

hi wends how are you my dear ??
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
just look out for uncle steve`o

no seriously do a search and all will be come clear

failing that pm me and i`ll do my best to help

start at

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

hi wends how are you my dear ??
I'm good thanks

Be even better in three weeks when we move into our new house
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:18 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm good thanks

Be even better in three weeks when we move into our new house
wheres me house warmin invite then
email gone astray has it
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steve`o
wheres me house warmin invite then
email gone astray has it

Can you afford the taxi home?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the link Steve'o, I have been looking everywhere for this.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that wendy and steve o much appreciated

lee
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

wendy,
hi again as i am applying for a electrician special class as my trade this is a different trade than say a general electrician i have 17 years experience in industrial electricial work not house wiring.Do i still do the same tests/exams/etc..?when you said about connecting to the mains are you referencing this to house wiring? And my last question is when i have obtained my ARTC you said then you can attend a course by the TAFE ,how long is the course and what involved and costs?

many thanks again

lee
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

wendy,
hi again as i am applying for a electrician special class as my trade this is a different trade than say a general electrician i have 17 years experience in industrial electricial work not house wiring.Do i still do the same tests/exams/etc..?when you said about connecting to the mains are you referencing this to house wiring? And my last question is when i have obtained my ARTC you said then you can attend a course by the TAFE ,how long is the course and what involved and costs?

many thanks again

lee
Yes, you still need to be licenced. I'm not certain how it works in other parts of Australia (every state has different rules!). Here in SA there are two licences, unrestricted and restricted. If you have an unrestricted licence you can work as an electrician doing houses, industrial etc but you can connect to the mains, to get an unrestricted licence you need to pass a wiring rules course, but it doesn't matter if you have a fitter or mechanic ARTC.

On an unrestricted licence, you can't connect to the mains but can get a job in the industrial industry but it would be as a fitter and it doesn't pay as much. Again doesn't matter if you are assessed as a Mechanic or Fitter on your ARTC. For this licence you don't need to attend the course, but you do need to have an ARTC certificate.

In SA, the course is done by PEER training and is done over 4 weeks. It costs $510. The licence costs about $350 ish (can't remember the exact cost).

The TAFE course takes 18 weeks in SA and costs about $300, but there is usually a long wait for the next course so nobody actually bothers with it

Other parts of Australia, like I said, the courses, licencing stuff etc are very different!

Do you have any C&G (or similar) qualifications? Do you do stuff like re-wiring machinery, moving it (disconnecting and connecting it again). If you do then make sure you put it all in there
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the help wendy,
I have city and guilds 201 part 1
city and guilds 214 parts 1 & 2
city and guilds 232 part 3 & my 15th IEE
ive got loads of connecting/disconnecting etc..upto 3 phase ..plus you wouldnt believe what i have had to do to get my electrical permit at work ... thats cadburys for you lol ...Will i need to have the 16th edition IEE i done the 15th in 1992 .

thanks again
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks for the help wendy,
I have city and guilds 201 part 1
city and guilds 214 parts 1 & 2
city and guilds 232 part 3 & my 15th IEE
ive got loads of connecting/disconnecting etc..upto 3 phase ..plus you wouldnt believe what i have had to do to get my electrical permit at work ... thats cadburys for you lol ...Will i need to have the 16th edition IEE i done the 15th in 1992 .

thanks again
Providing you can get the evidence (on references etc) in your application you should be OK with that.

My hubby has done a bit of work at cadburys, he worked for Wrapid in Bradford and got sent up there quite a bit to sort out some machines
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:14 am
Just Joined

ta again no doubt you will be sick of me soon lol .Does your hubby wont my job at cadburys i'll do a swap for his job in oz lol ... 50k on shifts but ur on your own maintaining a 40M plant biggest in the world lots of pressure and stress hey i am coming to relise money aint everything my wife is getting a bit worried with the applying for my QL electricial licence and getting the right job when we are there but at least we have family to stay with ,when i do go i am thinking i might come back after a month and carry on working for 2-3 months while my licence and paperwork come through do other ppl do that? at least wife and kids will be family.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ta again no doubt you will be sick of me soon lol .Does your hubby wont my job at cadburys i'll do a swap for his job in oz lol ... 50k on shifts but ur on your own maintaining a 40M plant biggest in the world lots of pressure and stress hey i am coming to relise money aint everything my wife is getting a bit worried with the applying for my QL electricial licence and getting the right job when we are there but at least we have family to stay with ,when i do go i am thinking i might come back after a month and carry on working for 2-3 months while my licence and paperwork come through do other ppl do that? at least wife and kids will be family.

The ARTC will take about a month to come back, but you'll need to be here to attend TAFE and get the rest of the stuff you need for your licence sorted out. I think the cost in airfares would outweigh what you can earn in the UK so really not worth it IMO (you may as well have a few weeks off .

If you get the ARTC forms sent to you while you're in the UK and get them filled in and sent back a few weeks before you arrive then when you get here they'll send you your certificate, that will save you a few weeks.