Newbie ARTC Question

Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

sonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nice
Default Newbie ARTC Question

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sure the questions have been asked before. I've taken time to read through a lot of threads which have been very helpful in understanding the workings of the electrical industry in Australia, but I'm looking for some advice and information, so thanks in advance .

I'm basically heading to Melbourne in January on a 1 year WHV, Im an electrician by trade, but also hold a degree in electrical services engineering and recently energy management. I would love to get experience in the latter two as I cannot get any work in either at home, but I hear a lot of engineering companies will not hire people in these positions on WHV's, is this true from peoples experiences?

Luckily I have 8 years experience as an electrician (including 4 years for my apprenticeship) so if I cannot find a job in these categories I have this to fall back on. my second question is, if I have to do this, would it be much easier in the longterm applying for the ARTC etc before I head over to oz? I have read on another thread an electrical licence can cost $700+ and is time consuming?

Finally, the last question is in relation to applying. I have gotten this from the victoria energy safe website:

* Completed ESV Application Form
* TRA Certificate
* Safe Working Practices Assessment Results or
* Licensed Electrician’s Assessment Results
* Evidence of Overseas Qualifications and experience in the industry, such as references and evidence of apprenticeship and trade qualifications gained overseas.

(1) If I complete the ESV application, how do I pay the $330 fee?
(2) how do I get a TRA certificate and what are the costs and time scales involved?
(3)where would i do the safe working practice and electrican assesments and what are the costs?
(4) realisticall how long would this take me and is it worth all the hassle, would I pick up unlicencsed work over there easily enough?

many thanks for taking the time to read my post and answer questions,

regards