Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

National licensing has been canned

National licensing has been canned

Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:10 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default National licensing has been canned

Hi all,

Just found out that as of the COAG meeting in December the National Occupational Licensing Authority is being disestablished...

Apparently the states are going to work together through the Council of the Australian Federation to make things better than they are currently.

I'll be surprised if we ever hear any more about it!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: National licensing has been canned

I personally think this is a backward step even though the ETU are hailling it as a victory.

It annoys the hell out of me having to renew three different licences for three different states.

Apparently one of the some of the big objections the ETU had were that they felt the licencing requirements were being lowered.

One of the mooted changes was that the one year australian experience was being removed for overseas applicants.

The ETU was dead opposed to any percieved lowering of standards particulary in QLD were the licencing requirements are pretty onerous with skills maintenace & CPR and LVR none of which i needed for my NSW licence.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:52 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkatrician
I personally think this is a backward step even though the ETU are hailling it as a victory.

It annoys the hell out of me having to renew three different licences for three different states.

Apparently one of the some of the big objections the ETU had were that they felt the licencing requirements were being lowered.

One of the mooted changes was that the one year australian experience was being removed for overseas applicants.

The ETU was dead opposed to any percieved lowering of standards particulary in QLD were the licencing requirements are pretty onerous with skills maintenace & CPR and LVR none of which i needed for my NSW licence.
Indeed, I'm currently working as a electrical mechanic in qld using my sa and nsw licences gained off of the back of a electrical fitters artc, all perfectly ok under the mutual recognition agreement. You couldn't make it up!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point

The system as it is, is a complete mess.

They need to standardise the licencing requirements accross the states and then make a clear unambigous pathway for overseas migrants to obtain their licence.

I personally think half the reason it doesn't happen is because there are so many vested interests making money out of the existing hodge podge of requirements for migrants trying to get their licence.

I was talking to English spark yesterday who is trying to navigate the licencing minefield.

Every government agency\TAFE\RTO gives him a different story of what he needs to get his licence and wants to charge him handsomely for the priveledge!.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Sparkyandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sparkatrician has hit the nail on the head these RTO's and TRA are a disgrace the government keeps pushing legislation that benefits them big time its a little too suspect for me.

Licensing system in 2011 WA
ARTC $300
Energy safe application $110
RTO 2 week ETL Course $860
Total $1270

Licensing System 2013 WA
ARTC $930
RTO Aus Context Training 10 months Gap training $2500
Total:$3540 not to mention time off work and T/A rate for this 10+ months.

This is one big scam conducted by a group of people in order to extort money out if immigrants and because we're from oversees no one gives a s##t.
If there was a national licensing system it would have to be fair and the costs would be across the board so individual states and RTO's could not name their price they would all be in direct competition.
I feel hard done by having to pay this but even more so what will the prices be in a few years.

Same thing happened with my visa my agent said last year it would have cost $3500 i just had to pay $7000 for it.

The Australian government is just ripping off immigrants plain and simple its a shameful and unjust system.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkyandy
Sparkatrician has hit the nail on the head these RTO's and TRA are a disgrace the government keeps pushing legislation that benefits them big time its a little too suspect for me.

Licensing system in 2011 WA
ARTC $300
RTO 2 week ETL Course $860
Total $1270

Licensing System 2013 WA
ARTC $930
RTO Aus Context Training 10 months Gap training $2500
Total:$3540 not to mention time off work and T/A rate for this 10+ months.

This is one big scam conducted by a group of people in order to extort money out if immigrants and because we're from oversees no one gives a s##t.
If there was a national licensing system it would have to be fair and the costs would be across the board so individual states and RTO's could not name their price they would all be in direct competition.
I feel hard done by having to pay this but even more so what will the prices be in a few years.

Same thing happened with my visa my agent said last year it would have cost $3500 i just had to pay $7000 for it.

The Australian government is just ripping off immigrants plain and simple its a shameful and unjust system.
The licensing thing is a rip off for me living in SA. Having OTSR, and having to do practical to prove skills, as well as theory test, quals, references etc - and I have to do log book whereas someone from out of state turns up with ARTC where all they did was prove quals and references and they get A Class after doing wiring regs.

But for the visa I actually sort of understand the increase. If you are now paying $7k that means there is you, your OH and 2 kids so why should your visa cost the same as a single person. I get that the increase was large but all 4 of you will be able to get medicare on arrival, you will be able to claim benefits and your children will get free education so you benefit more, and the visa processing takes longer - not 4 times as long agreed, maybe not even twice as long but everything has to be verified so I think it's fairer that someone with a larger family pays more than a single person (and a little of topic for the sparky's forum )
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:51 am
Just Joined

I was lucky to get my ARTC but i still had to provide them with a breakdown of all my individual phases from my apprenticeship plus references etc tbh the only difference between OTSR and ARTC now is basically the skills assessment.

I feel sorry for the people who come to WA through Vetasess or OTSR you pay for your skills assessment through them and then when you arrive you have to do the Australian context training aswell which includes more skills assessments 10+ months of gap training and of course another $2500 .

My visa is a 457 they have seriously increased the cost and added extra costs since july this is only for me and my partner and i have very little rights and no medicare etc. My friend and his OH has just finished his skilled migration he paid all in $12000 i can only imagine what the cost would be if you had two children aswell.

My point is we are getting screwed for the cost of our visa also getting screwed for the cost of our licensing how do they justify all these increases and making people jump through hoops and force them to work as a trades assistant for 10+ months (if they can even find a job) to get a license. The government is just taking advantage and abusing power to extort money from us.

When i tell my co workers they are genuinely shocked at the process and the costs involved most Australians cant believe it.

Last edited by Sparkyandy; Mar 1st 2014 at 4:03 am. Reason: elabourating
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:09 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky to get my ARTC but i still had to provide them with a breakdown of all my individual phases from my apprenticeship plus references etc tbh the only difference between OTSR and ARTC now is basically the skills assessment.

I feel sorry for the people who come to WA through Vetasess or OTSR you pay for your skills assessment through them and then when you arrive you have to do the Australian context training aswell which includes more skills assessments 10+ months of gap training and of course another $2500 .

My visa is a 457 they have seriously increased the cost and added extra costs since july this is only for me and my partner and i have very little rights and no medicare etc. My friend and his OH has just finished his skilled migration he paid all in $12000 i can only imagine what the cost would be if you had two children aswell.

My point is we are getting screwed for the cost of our visa also getting screwed for the cost of our licensing how do they justify all these increases and making people jump through hoops and force them to work as a trades assistant for 10+ months (if they can even find a job) to get a license. The government is just taking advantage and abusing power to extort money from us.

When i tell my co workers they are genuinely shocked at the process and the costs involved most Australians cant believe it.
If you are on 457 your visa cost should be $1035 since the employer pays most of the costs associated and are not allowed to pass this on

The point for me with the difference between ARTC and OTSR is that you have to prove more to get OTSR, but you can't get A class after wiring rules, or gap training until you have completed log book - but ARTC can here in SA. The cost of the gap training is twice the price of the wiring rules course and includes OH&S and CPR but that seems to be the only differences - rip off

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 1st 2014 at 4:14 am. Reason: Edit to correct visa costs
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:30 am
Just Joined

I get where your coming from with all these different schemes ARTC, OTSR, Vetasses Future Skills international. they are all so confusing and the costs just keep rising all the time and the rules keep changing.

They should clear this up once and for all and have one clear path for all oversees applicants with realistic rules. but this can only happen if they have a nationalized system. There are too many organizations making too much money off us and they will want to keep things the way they are so they have the power to charge what they want.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:36 am

I get where your coming from with all these different schemes ARTC, OTSR, Vetasses Future Skills international. they are all so confusing and the costs just keep rising all the time and the rules keep changing.

They should clear this up once and for all and have one clear path for all oversees applicants with realistic rules. but this can only happen if they have a nationalized system. There are too many organizations making too much money off us and they will want to keep things the way they are so they have the power to charge what they want.

Think we all agree with that