Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Mythbusters Special.....ways to gain a licence in Australia

Mythbusters Special.....ways to gain a licence in Australia

Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mythbusters Special.....ways to gain a licence in Australia

Right, there seems like a lot of differing opinions on the site as to what's needed to get a licence when you get here. So lets cut all the crap and find out for definite!!

I have today sent an e-mail to the TRA and asked the following question:

Hi,

I am enquiring as to whether an Electrician from the United Kingdom can apply for an ARTC once in Australia if he has undertaken the Vetassess Assessment in the UK for the purposes of gaining a migration visa.

I have a friend who is looking to apply to Vetassess so that he can migrate here. He has been told if he passes then he will gain an Offshore Technical Skills Record, and that once he has that he then needs to complete a log book in Australia to obtain a full licence – this will take 12 months.

However if he applies for an ARTC and manages to complete the wiring rules exam he would be able to gain a full licence within about 6 months instead – so we are enquiring as to whether the application for an ARTC is closed to him, or if he can still apply even though he has the OTSR from Vetassess.

Of course this all assumes that he meets the criteria and passes the assessment for an ARTC and everything else. We would just like the full facts before making a final decision.

Thank you for your assistance

Regards
Wendy

So lets see what they say shall we.

I am of the opinion that people can in fact apply to the TRA for an ARTC when they get here regardless of having an OTSR or not. Not everyone has to apply for a pre-migration skills assessment remember so how would they even know that the Vetassess route has been done previously?

I will also e-mail the OBCA when I can get their e-mail addy (the site is down) if anyone else in the other states wants to write to their local licensing board it would be appreciated
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:59 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mythbusters Special.....ways to gain a licence in Australia

Excellent idea Wendy,

It would be really helpful i,m sure for anybody that wishes to migrate / travel to Australia and work as an Electrician to have an easy sort of 'flow chart' to follow in order to understand what is required to be able to gain the License.

Which would also maybe incorporate different time scales / costs / criteria / Visa's on this side and also what the requirements would be in the different sectors once the said person arrives in Australia regarding regs / state & interstate licensing / mutual recognition etc.

I am sure it would eliminate allot of repeated questions and varying answers that appear on here and help allot of people out.

Hopefully i may also be able to offer some input and if i can help in any way let me know i dont mind being the designer / updater of the list / chart if that was deemed the best route to take.

Good Luck

Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Jan 9th 2009 at 8:03 am.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Good Effort,
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice

Thanks Wendy

Hope this topic could then be sorted as I feel it's as clear MUD!!

Cheers Dave Gardner
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Holds breath in anticipation!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Right, there seems like a lot of differing opinions on the site as to what's needed to get a licence when you get here. So lets cut all the crap and find out for definite!!

I have today sent an e-mail to the TRA and asked the following question:

[/B]

So lets see what they say shall we.

I am of the opinion that people can in fact apply to the TRA for an ARTC when they get here regardless of having an OTSR or not. Not everyone has to apply for a pre-migration skills assessment remember so how would they even know that the Vetassess route has been done previously?

I will also e-mail the OBCA when I can get their e-mail addy (the site is down) if anyone else in the other states wants to write to their local licensing board it would be appreciated
Hi, I have results back from vet as grade 1 electrician & am doing the practical/theory tests in feb, is this a OTSR that I have then, if not what is OTSR, all these abbreviations confuse me to the max, thankyou.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

tinaandscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Hi, I have results back from vet as grade 1 electrician & am doing the practical/theory tests in feb, is this a OTSR that I have then, if not what is OTSR, all these abbreviations confuse me to the max, thankyou.
Hi Jason, my OH doing his practical february too in london... It is all very confusing, but yes! If you pass you will have your OTSR.

Tina
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tinaandscott
Hi Jason, my OH doing his practical february too in london... It is all very confusing, but yes! If you pass you will have your OTSR.

Tina
Thankyou Tina, still confused though, about all the rest after this bit?!??
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Thankyou Tina, still confused though, about all the rest after this bit?!??

We all are honey. That's why I have e-mailed the licencing place and the TRA. Will keep you posted
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

tinaandscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
We all are honey. That's why I have e-mailed the licencing place and the TRA. Will keep you posted
Lookin forward to the reply to your email too Wendy, thanks so much for all you do!!

Was hoping OH could go to peer to do his license, but looks like he might have to do this log book thing now. ( pain in the arse )...

Anyway, waiting with baited breath, hehe !!

Thanks again

Tina
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's the reply from the TRA:

Dear Wendy
Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

If you complete all the VETASSESS requirements and competencies successfully, there should not be a need to for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC). VETASSESS should, from my understanding, be able to issue you brother an Australian qualification which should satisfy the requirements for licensing

As far as they are concerned Vetassess should be issuing people with an Australian Qualification which should satisfy the criteria for a licence.

In practise this isn't what's happening - they are saying UK sparkies (and other nationalities no doubt) need gap training when they get here. Hence the log book.

The ideal thing is if you pass Vetassess and they issue you with a certificate that says you don't require any further training....so far I don't think that's happened has it?

The reply I got didn't however really answer my question - generic reply me thinks! So I'm still none the wiser as to whether you can apply for an ARTC - although the only critera for that is that you are an Australian Resident with qualifications gained overseas. It should be noted that this isn't always a quick fix though, as the TRA seem to be requiring a lot of trades tests just lately (well they'll be having to make up all that revenue they are losing to Vetassess somehow! )

So I await replies from other places and will update as I can.

Last edited by Wendy; Jan 12th 2009 at 5:59 am.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all

Hi All,

I thought I'd share my experience in this with you all. I'm still as confused as I was before I emailed them.
This was my request to ESV - Victoria's Licencing body:

Hi,

I am looking for some assistance on how I obtain a Supervised Workers Licence and from there how I get an A Class licence.

I sat the Vetassess earlier this year and I have the Offshore Technical Skills Record for a Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30806).

I will be moving to Melbourne in May 09 and want to be able to get the licences as soon as possible.

I've read many pages of different website and feel a bit like I'm going round in circles - could you put me at ease and confirm exactly what I need to do when I get to Melbourne. If it's of any use I will be staying in the Mornington area.

Thanks in advance

I did get a response pretty much straight away:

Good morning David,

We wish to advise that you will be eligible to apply for a Supervised Worker’s Licence Class ‘L’, however as you have undertaken the Vetassess Program, we suggest that you make contact with Vetassess on Telephone: 613 9655 4801 for clarification on what is now required. You can also visit their website: www.vetassess.com.au for any further information.

Regards

Licensing Department

Energy Safe Victoria

Ok so then I thought I'd send email to Vetassess as ESV's suggested and I just forwarded on the initial email so Vetassess could see what had already been said:

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me please. I passed the General Electrician's Vetassess in April 08. I am moved out to Australia in May 09 and I am looking to find the exact process for me to get my Supervised Worker’s Licence Class ‘L’.
I have emailed Energy Safe Victoria who are the licencing body for the area I am moving to adn they conandm I am eligible for this licence but have advised me to contact yourselves for information on how to gain this licence.
Can you tell me what I need to do to get the licence please.

Thanking you in advance

to which I got a response straight away again:

Dear David,

I have contacted ESV and requested that they provide information regarding the process to gain a provisional licence.

If you need further information please contact
Kelly Stalker
Manager, Licensing ESV
Ph: 613 9203 9760
email: [email protected]

I hope this helps and if you require any further information please contact [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Ok so I'm getting a bit annoyed at this stage as you can imagine. I then emailed Kelly Stalker as above, I didn't get a reply at first, so I sent another request to the ESV email then this is the response I finally got from ESV:

Dear David

I have reviewed this email and my staff have responded to you about the eligibility for a Supervised Workers Licence upon presentation to ESV, once you arrive in Melbourne.

As the final policy in relation to this process is still being drawn up, we cannot make any further comment, however will advise upon your presentation to us once you arrive.

The application form for a Supervised Workers Licence is available on our website: www.esv.vic.gov.au\Electricity Professionals\Licensing & Registration\Supervised Workers Licence.

This licence can be issued for up to 3 years in duration, whilst you complete any gap training required to be eligible for the Australian qualification.

This licence also allows you to work under the effective supervision of an Electrician for a period of at least 12 months, whilst finalizing the process you have undertaken with Vetassess.

In relation to the Vetassess program, we cannot comment here, as any gap training requirements you will have with the Certificate III, Electrotechnology, Systems Electrician, will be determined by Vetassess, and as previously suggested in order to finalise that part of the process, ESV are not involved.

I hope this clarifies your enquiry.

Hope this helps - I still feel it's a bit vague but we'll see when we try for a licence then.

Becky
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Becky723359
Hi All,

I thought I'd share my experience in this with you all. I'm still as confused as I was before I emailed them.
This was my request to ESV - Victoria's Licencing body:

Hi,

I am looking for some assistance on how I obtain a Supervised Workers Licence and from there how I get an A Class licence.

I sat the Vetassess earlier this year and I have the Offshore Technical Skills Record for a Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30806).

I will be moving to Melbourne in May 09 and want to be able to get the licences as soon as possible.

I've read many pages of different website and feel a bit like I'm going round in circles - could you put me at ease and confirm exactly what I need to do when I get to Melbourne. If it's of any use I will be staying in the Mornington area.

Thanks in advance

I did get a response pretty much straight away:

Good morning David,

We wish to advise that you will be eligible to apply for a Supervised Worker’s Licence Class ‘L’, however as you have undertaken the Vetassess Program, we suggest that you make contact with Vetassess on Telephone: 613 9655 4801 for clarification on what is now required. You can also visit their website: www.vetassess.com.au for any further information.

Regards

Licensing Department

Energy Safe Victoria

Ok so then I thought I'd send email to Vetassess as ESV's suggested and I just forwarded on the initial email so Vetassess could see what had already been said:

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me please. I passed the General Electrician's Vetassess in April 08. I am moved out to Australia in May 09 and I am looking to find the exact process for me to get my Supervised Worker’s Licence Class ‘L’.
I have emailed Energy Safe Victoria who are the licencing body for the area I am moving to adn they conandm I am eligible for this licence but have advised me to contact yourselves for information on how to gain this licence.
Can you tell me what I need to do to get the licence please.

Thanking you in advance

to which I got a response straight away again:

Dear David,

I have contacted ESV and requested that they provide information regarding the process to gain a provisional licence.

If you need further information please contact
Kelly Stalker
Manager, Licensing ESV
Ph: 613 9203 9760
email: [email protected]

I hope this helps and if you require any further information please contact [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Ok so I'm getting a bit annoyed at this stage as you can imagine. I then emailed Kelly Stalker as above, I didn't get a reply at first, so I sent another request to the ESV email then this is the response I finally got from ESV:

Dear David

I have reviewed this email and my staff have responded to you about the eligibility for a Supervised Workers Licence upon presentation to ESV, once you arrive in Melbourne.

As the final policy in relation to this process is still being drawn up, we cannot make any further comment, however will advise upon your presentation to us once you arrive.

The application form for a Supervised Workers Licence is available on our website: www.esv.vic.gov.au\Electricity Professionals\Licensing & Registration\Supervised Workers Licence.

This licence can be issued for up to 3 years in duration, whilst you complete any gap training required to be eligible for the Australian qualification.

This licence also allows you to work under the effective supervision of an Electrician for a period of at least 12 months, whilst finalizing the process you have undertaken with Vetassess.

In relation to the Vetassess program, we cannot comment here, as any gap training requirements you will have with the Certificate III, Electrotechnology, Systems Electrician, will be determined by Vetassess, and as previously suggested in order to finalise that part of the process, ESV are not involved.

I hope this clarifies your enquiry.

Hope this helps - I still feel it's a bit vague but we'll see when we try for a licence then.

Becky
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

What is this mysterious logbook
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Becky723359;

your flogging a dead horse with ESV i can assure you, they wont do sod all until your Hubby hets the certificate from Vetassess, then when he gets that he can then apply for the Restricted license, from there i would recommend he does an evening course at the Tafe (College here) they run for about 12 weeks one night per week, most work is done at home via self study.

The courses are very helpful in respect the content shows the differences between the Uk & Australian regulations also how installations are done in australia. As i say its worth it to be shown the differences between the UK switchboards MEN (Multiple Earth Neutral) & Aussie boards, also different types of cables used here, they go over all cable calc's for volt drop cable selections & lots more so the 12 weeks passes in no time, then he can apply to a registered training authority who on behalf of ESV do the A class exams.

I would say right now, i would be looking at PEER in S/A for the exams they are great people to deal with.
The people in Melbourne are a bread of there own they have had the monopoly for many years to long in my opinion, i did mine at ESV they are not nice people at all, they told all students that ESV hand out the A class license, so me being me, i said i dont think so mate.??? a black mark against me there i thought, but they also tried to intimidate people on the day i was having non of that shit, some people just went to pieces we are talking of grown people here some even threatened to snot the little shit, i was thinking go on snot him.????

So you can see from the training point of view the people in victoria are very different there agency is called EPIC Training i would be giving them a wide berth if i was you, get to PEER.

regards