Moving to Melbourne

Old Dec 27th 2021, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Teddy Lop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne

Hi guys, Married to an Aussie and we plan to relocate from London in a couple of years.

I'll be 46, did 4 year apprentiship in the 90's, have C+G certificates (236 I believe but not 2391), have worked for myself for 20+ years, am an NIC-EIC approved contractor - I guess being registered and inspected/audited every year by them would count instead of employer reference?

I understand Melbourne's the most difficult option to convert! Not looking forward to working as someones lackey for a year, but spending the time I do sorting out the work of cowboys I totally appreciate why you should prove yourself!

Is the trade assistant requirement for overseas only or Aussies too, if I live and work as a registered spark in different state for a year would I still have to do it? Does it have to be full time - if we buy and spend time refurbing a house and the record has a few gaps of say a couple of weeks at a time would that be a no-no? Part of me wonders if I have to spend time training I should look to trade up and get off the tools.

Any other help or tips? I'll be leaving a thriving business so any training requirements I'll leave until I'm there.

Thanks Ben
Old Dec 27th 2021, 10:00 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by Teddy Lop View Post
Hi guys, Married to an Aussie and we plan to relocate from London in a couple of years.

I'll be 46, did 4 year apprentiship in the 90's, have C+G certificates (236 I believe but not 2391), have worked for myself for 20+ years, am an NIC-EIC approved contractor - I guess being registered and inspected/audited every year by them would count instead of employer reference?

I understand Melbourne's the most difficult option to convert! Not looking forward to working as someones lackey for a year, but spending the time I do sorting out the work of cowboys I totally appreciate why you should prove yourself!

Is the trade assistant requirement for overseas only or Aussies too, if I live and work as a registered spark in different state for a year would I still have to do it? Does it have to be full time - if we buy and spend time refurbing a house and the record has a few gaps of say a couple of weeks at a time would that be a no-no? Part of me wonders if I have to spend time training I should look to trade up and get off the tools.

Any other help or tips? I'll be leaving a thriving business so any training requirements I'll leave until I'm there.

Thanks Ben
Hey Ben and welcome

Vetassess have some good info on getting to A class - as would the Down Under Centre I'm told.

Process should be outlined on Vetassess - gather all documents they require (indentures, quals, resume, references from memory but check).

If you pass that, you need to do practical skills assessment (ac theory, dc theory, motor DOL, disconnect / reconnect, fault finding, domestic install and test).

If you pass that, you get your overseas record which enables you to sign up for gap training, and then get supervised worker license.

While under 'supervision'. you need to complete e-profiling to cover variety of work, then I think in VIC there are exams I think (LEP / LET maybe, but not 100% so check).

If successful, you get A class which allows you to work unsupervised - gaining contractor license would follow this I think.

All states require the supervised work - but I know I got signed off in 3 months here in SA due to enough variety of work. I'm not sure if NZ has the requirement. Once you get a license in one state, territory or NZ, you can use mutual recognition to get license in another.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Teddy Lop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Hey Ben and welcome

Vetassess have some good info on getting to A class - as would the Down Under Centre I'm told.

Process should be outlined on Vetassess - gather all documents they require (indentures, quals, resume, references from memory but check).

If you pass that, you need to do practical skills assessment (ac theory, dc theory, motor DOL, disconnect / reconnect, fault finding, domestic install and test).

If you pass that, you get your overseas record which enables you to sign up for gap training, and then get supervised worker license.

While under 'supervision'. you need to complete e-profiling to cover variety of work, then I think in VIC there are exams I think (LEP / LET maybe, but not 100% so check).

If successful, you get A class which allows you to work unsupervised - gaining contractor license would follow this I think.

All states require the supervised work - but I know I got signed off in 3 months here in SA due to enough variety of work. I'm not sure if NZ has the requirement. Once you get a license in one state, territory or NZ, you can use mutual recognition to get license in another.

Hope that helps.
thanks reading a site it won't let me link to seems to suggest 12 months is more widespread now: tradesrecognitionaustralia

Reading around I see people can struggle to get a supervised worker position, reading between the lines, highly sought after and often more of a who you know?

Old Dec 28th 2021, 8:08 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teddy Lop View Post
thanks reading a site it won't let me link to seems to suggest 12 months is more widespread now: tradesrecognitionaustralia

Reading around I see people can struggle to get a supervised worker position, reading between the lines, highly sought after and often more of a who you know?
TRA will not assess skills for overseas electricians - that is delegated to specified RTO's. It used to be just Vetassess, but that was joined by Victoria University, which is in Melbourne, and later Future Skills International. Not sure if there have been any further additions, it's been a while.

NSW does allow unlicensed workers which might make it easier to find work - depends on your background.

I was an industrial electrician doing controls as well. I made friends with a recruiter but also applied to companies advertising direct so not to be screened out. PEER here in SA were also good at finding places for people.