Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Originally Posted by timotei
hi wendy, im tim

im thinking of emigrating to australia and hopefully getting a job as an a electrician. i have all the relevant qualifications to work over here in england, and i am hoping you could give me some info into the qualifications i would need to work over there.

after looking through the forum you seem to have helped quite a few people. so, im hoping you can help me please.

yours thankfully tim

What stage are you at? Have you had the TRA pre-migration assessment yet? Where abouts in Australia are you wanting to live?

Once you answer them questions, I'll be able help a bit more

For now take a good look around the TRA site: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...l/Migrant/TRA/ it should answer some questions and/or give you a starting point.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:26 am
Just Joined

harkomal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Get TRA assessment done? I needed that to migrate. Classified as a General Electrician{####-##} Got the letter in front of me now.
Send off for ARTC? Whats that?
Courses? Ok.
Any links to ARTC? Whatever that is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
sir pls let me know how to prepare for tra experience.I am applying from INDIA.I have done diploma in electrical engg.thanks
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
What stage are you at? Have you had the TRA pre-migration assessment yet? Where abouts in Australia are you wanting to live?

Once you answer them questions, I'll be able help a bit more

For now take a good look around the TRA site: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...l/Migrant/TRA/ it should answer some questions and/or give you a starting point.
sir pls let me know how to prepare for tra experience.I am applying from INDIA.I have done diploma in electrical engg.thanks
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weealbie
Hello.

Arthur is spot on with the licencing. Nobody will back an un licenced sparky up if things go wrong and nobody is perfect!!

As from the Electrical Safety Act QLD.

Part 4 Licences
Division 1 Requirements for electrical licences
55 Requirement for electrical work licence
(1) A person must not perform or supervise electrical work
unless—
(a) the person is the holder of an electrical work licence in
force under this Act; and
(b) the licence authorises the person to perform the work.
Maximum penalty—400 penalty units.
(2) Only an individual may be the holder of an electrical work
licence.

In my original post i have stated that for migration purposes DIMA require an electrician to best recognised as a 'GENERAL ELECTRICIAN' (asco code 4311-11). To obtain an electrical licence (in Queensland at least) you must first obtain a permit to work from the electrical safety office. The permit allows the bearer to work SUPERVISED as either 1)an electrical fitter 2)an electrical mechanic 3)electrical fitter / mechanic. There are other designated electrical trades but these seem to be the most popular according to TRA and DIMA.
You must then complete an approved training course with an SRTO (supervising registered training organisation). Once you have completed a course successfully your training officer will send a completion statement to the relevant licencing office who will then in turn assess the application and accept / refuse the application for an electrical licence.

All this can not be done if you are designated the title of General Electrician. You must have been recognised as either 1)an electrical fitter 2)an electrical mechanic 3)electrical fitter / mechanic.

I only know this because i have attended meetings with DIMA, spoken in depth with TRA regarding the whole issue and coordinated training with Brisbane North Institute of Tafe

The electrical licencing board are being extremely vigilant at present and are clamping down on unregistered workers.

A lot of these workers are people who have emigrated and do not fully understand the steps and procedures electricians have to abide by.

One of the latest cases in court is of a failed 4th year apprentice who bought a perfect copy of a Fitter Mechanic licence in Thailand and used it to work as an electrician. His work was of a suitable standard but, under the Australian legislation he was deemed to be working un-licenced and is facing 12 months in prison and a $30,000 fine (approx)! He was caught because he signed off an apprentices TAFE log book and his licence number was checked online.

Not worth working un licenced is it?

The rules and stipulations are different in different states. I have never ha a problem getting work as a sparky with and with out my licence however my boss did expect me to install, test and connect to supply using his number without him even looking at the work?

It's a great country to live in but it's a bloody hard one to obtain a full electrical licence when you first get here!! It does all come clear though and i hope some of my information will help.

For anyone moving to Quensland here are some helpful sites to get you started:

www.dir.qld.gov.au

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nitiatives/TRA

www.careerone.com.au
Dear sir I am NAVTEJ.sir pls let me know how to prepare for tra experience.I am applying from INDIA.I have done diploma in electrical engg.thanks
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harkomal

I'm not a sir, but I'll let you off

You need to write in detail about your duties and tools you can use.

Also you need 7 years work experience and references from all employers to support your application. These also need to be written in detail.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm not a sir, but I'll let you off

You need to write in detail about your duties and tools you can use.

Also you need 7 years work experience and references from all employers to support your application. These also need to be written in detail.
It was great litening from u.
Actually i am running a shop.i deal in sale purchase of tv refrigerators,washing machines etc.i am the owner of my shop.i am confused how to represent my case.pls send me some proforma of experience which can be modified as per my requirement and i may then send it to tra.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was great litening from u.
Actually i am running a shop.i deal in sale purchase of tv refrigerators,washing machines etc.i am the owner of my shop.i am confused how to represent my case.pls send me some proforma of experience which can be modified as per my requirement and i may then send it to tra.

You need to be working as an Electrician. If you aren't sure of the requirements then you really need to speak with a migration agent who will assess your case and tell you the best way to go.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:15 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Actually i am running a shop.i deal in sale purchase of tv refrigerators,washing machines etc.i am the owner of my shop.i am confused how

I really dont think you have a chance getting in as an electrician. If you sell washing machines etc. Are you really an electrician or engineer? I'm not so sure.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:01 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

The following applies to Queensland.

1. Get ARTC. A formality if your here on a skilled migrant visa.Took a couple of weeks

2. Apply for a licence. They will give you a permit to work under supervision which is valid for one year. You are expected to gain your full licence in this time.$54

This will allow you to work legally.

3.Go and get a job. This should be easy in QLD as there is so much work.I served my time in a factory and had never done domestic wiring. Started the next week doing domestic. I happened to get a really helpful boss and if your straight down the line and work you'll be right. Things are different to the uk but not to the extent as to which some make out.

4. Contact the TAFE ( tech school) and find out what you need to do to gain a certificate of competency.

Two options were given to me.

Trade test comprising theory exam and practical. This was to be completed on one day.

Correspondence course comprising written assignments X2, theory exam and practical.( the TAFE suggests this will take 96 hrs of study). Complete a log book

The Tafe will send the certificate to the licensing board when complete.

5. Get a CPR of Senior first aid certificate.

6. Apply for the full licence. There will be no additional fee if within 6 months of the initial application.

Although there will be dramas as is nearly always the case in dealing with governmental departments it is not that daunting.

I am just completing the course now and have all the names, numbers etc if anyone is coming to QLD. i live in cairns
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:20 am
Just Joined

sir so kind of u to answer my query.sir i am in India.I want a working visa to canada and for that i require to have a work permit and for that i have to have a sponsorship of a concerned employee.Pls guide me

Originally Posted by youngy73
The following applies to Queensland.

1. Get ARTC. A formality if your here on a skilled migrant visa.Took a couple of weeks

2. Apply for a licence. They will give you a permit to work under supervision which is valid for one year. You are expected to gain your full licence in this time.$54

This will allow you to work legally.

3.Go and get a job. This should be easy in QLD as there is so much work.I served my time in a factory and had never done domestic wiring. Started the next week doing domestic. I happened to get a really helpful boss and if your straight down the line and work you'll be right. Things are different to the uk but not to the extent as to which some make out.

4. Contact the TAFE ( tech school) and find out what you need to do to gain a certificate of competency.

Two options were given to me.

Trade test comprising theory exam and practical. This was to be completed on one day.

Correspondence course comprising written assignments X2, theory exam and practical.( the TAFE suggests this will take 96 hrs of study). Complete a log book

The Tafe will send the certificate to the licensing board when complete.

5. Get a CPR of Senior first aid certificate.

6. Apply for the full licence. There will be no additional fee if within 6 months of the initial application.

Although there will be dramas as is nearly always the case in dealing with governmental departments it is not that daunting.

I am just completing the course now and have all the names, numbers etc if anyone is coming to QLD. i live in cairns
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

sir so kind of u to answer my query.sir i am in India.I want a working visa to canada and for that i require to have a work permit and for that i have to have a sponsorship of a concerned employee.Pls guide me
If you are trying to get a working visa for CANADA I suggest you ask about requirements for CANADA. This thread is about requirements for AUSTRALIA.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 5:01 am
Just Joined

I was mistaken it is definitely australia pls continue

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you are trying to get a working visa for CANADA I suggest you ask about requirements for CANADA. This thread is about requirements for AUSTRALIA.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was mistaken it is definitely australia pls continue

You need to visit this site http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oAustralia.htm

But unless you have 7 years experience of electrical work then you will have a hard task proving you are a competent electrician.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Simon9472 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arthur,

I was reading your comments regarding Electricians. I am very interested in the 12 to 14 week evening course you mentioned. Where are these held and do you have any contact information?

Thanks,
Simon.