Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Working Holiday

Looking for a Working Holiday

Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

harry.gilfillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Looking for a Working Holiday

Hi all, I am a newly qualified electrician having completed a 4 year apprenticeship, with experience in a range of electrical work from domestic to industrial. But rarely worked on sites, I'm also 21 years old. I was considering moving to Australia on my own by applying for a working holiday visa. Hopefully I will be able to work in a few different places whilst over there to make the most of my visa. From my research I have gathered I would have to work as a sparkys mate for as long as I'm there. Has anyone got any advice on:
  • How easy it will be to secure work over there and should I do this before going.
  • would I need to redo training courses like IPATH and CSCS or are they transferable.
  • Where abouts would be a good place to start (currently thinking NSW as seems best place to find work for electricians mates
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 10:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a Working Holiday

Originally Posted by harry.gilfillan
Hi all, I am a newly qualified electrician having completed a 4 year apprenticeship, with experience in a range of electrical work from domestic to industrial. But rarely worked on sites, I'm also 21 years old. I was considering moving to Australia on my own by applying for a working holiday visa. Hopefully I will be able to work in a few different places whilst over there to make the most of my visa. From my research I have gathered I would have to work as a sparkys mate for as long as I'm there. Has anyone got any advice on:
  • How easy it will be to secure work over there and should I do this before going.
  • would I need to redo training courses like IPATH and CSCS or are they transferable.
  • Where abouts would be a good place to start (currently thinking NSW as seems best place to find work for electricians mates
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
To work as an electrician in most of Australia would require you to be licensed, which is probably what you've found. You do stand a chance in NSW as there is a pay grade for unlicensed electricians I think. You would need a white card (https://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/lice...ns/white-cards). As an unlicensed spark you work under the supervision of a licensed spark.

Personally I've not worked in NSW - and any work you do do will not count as skilled employment if you later decide to apply for skilled migration.