British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   A little help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/little-help-749706/)

RyanWilliams Feb 26th 2012 2:32 am

A little help?

Hi all I am new to this forum...

I am at the beginning stages of hoping to emigrate to Australier to work as an electrician...

I am a 25 year old fully Qualified electrician with the following uk qualifications:

City and Guilds 2391-20 (formally 2400) Design and Verification.
City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing.
City and Guilds 2382 17th Edition Regulations.
City and Guilds 2372 Solar PV.
City and Guilds 2360 Part 1 & 2
NVQ Level 3 Electricial installations
NVQ Level 2 PEO Electrical
Are these qualifications recognised at all in Australier?
Will i be able to work as an electrician in Australier? If Not....what do i need to do to be able to.
Is the electrician trade as in demand as everyone over here says?
Where is the best place to find work in oz?

Any help would be greatful

Thanks

adam.markey2011 Feb 26th 2012 10:28 am

Re: A little help?

Hi mate

I was in the same boat as you beginning of last year. I didn't have a clue or where to start! After months of research on google and applying to Australian companies for a job, I soon realised that you are not going to get anywhere if (at time of applying);

1) you are in the UK
2) you do not have the relevant visa to live and work in Australia
3) you do not have the Australian A Grade electrical licence.

Following that I realised I had 3 options;

1) get a 12 mth WHV, give up everything here and hope to get a sponsor in Oz
2) get a PR visa - but can taje upto two years and you have to have your skills assessed un the UK
3) get a company sponsored 457 visa.

I opted for option 3 as I wanted a job as soon as I got there and didnt want the uncertainty of bot getting a sponsor on the WHV and giving up everything and having to cone home, and I didnt want to stay in the UK for upto two years as is very possible on the PR visa. However, finding an employer willing to sponsor you, by yourself, is not that easy - so I paid an agency to find me an employer, which they and and now I'm going through the process of getting my licence and waiting for my ARTC to be granted so U can fly out.

Which ever option you choose, you will need to have your skills assessed and prove you are an electrician. There are different ways and routes you can take for this, but you do need a licence to work unrestricted as a spark.

All the documents yoy have listed will need photocopying, and taking to
a solicitors to be "certified as true copies". Basically you pay them to say they are true copies of the originals and to sign, date and company stamp them.

You will also need:
2x passport photos - certified they are a true likeness of you
passport - certified
JIB Card (front and back) - certified
Any other industry specific training/licences (IPAF, PASMA etc) - certified
Company references - stating job title, employment dates and specific and detailed lists if duties you have done
Statutory Declaration - this can be by yourself and details your apprenticeship and training, how long you have been a spark, your qualifications, all the duties you have done
etc.
Some people also take pictures of them at work undertaking tasks, and if their work to support their application.

I do believe there is alot of work out there, although I will only know definate when Im there.

If you have any more questions just ask. I will be posting all my evidence when my ARTC is granted.

First though, decide how long you want to stay in Oz for and choose the right visa. Then choose how you want to get your licence - Vettasses (in uk), ARTC or OSTR.

Theres alot of stuff on here about the different routes you can take.

Good luck

adam.markey2011 Feb 26th 2012 10:32 am

sorry for my spelling, im on my phone and its a touchscreen - nightmare!!!
thanks

RyanWilliams Feb 26th 2012 11:10 am

Thanks alot mate that's a big help. I'm currently at a 'live down under' seminar in Birmingham so I hope to get more information here.

Regards

rinkerdink Feb 27th 2012 5:18 pm

Sorry wrong thread

adam.markey2011 Feb 27th 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Ryan

How did your seminar go? Did you find out any useful inormation or get any employer contacts?

One other thing I forgot to mention was, you also need think about which state you want to go, because different states have different courses and exams etc to get your licence (unless you change it over from one state to another)

RyanWilliams Mar 17th 2012 11:28 am

Hey Adam sorry about delay in reply...I did get a bit of help bit not really any contacts.

How have u progressed so far? I was thinking about going for a sponsored visa, but like you say its finding someone to give you a job. What agency did u use and what is the cost? Have ou got your Agrade yet?

Thanks