Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Licensing-Melbourne, Help Please!

Licensing-Melbourne, Help Please!

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

sonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nice
Default Licensing-Melbourne, Help Please!

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Melbourne in January. I am a qualified electrician, completed apprenticeship in 2006. I also have a degree in Electrical Design Engineering and recently Energy Management.

My aim is to work in the latter two but as the recission hit I never got any experience which I think I will find it hard to get employed and am basically trying get as much sorted as possible now if the need arises to go sparking. So I emailed Victoria energy safe and got this response:

We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and wish to advise the following as an Applicant from overseas:-

* On your arrival in Victoria, Australia you will be required to make contact with:-

Trades Recognition Australia
Department of Industrial Relations
8th Floor, Customs House
414 Latrobe Street
Melbourne
Tel: (03) 9954 2537

In order to make an appointment to have your overseas qualifications assessed.

* If you are assessed as an Electrical Fitter - you will be entitled to apply for a Supervised Worker's Licence Class 'L'. In order to gain this Licence the following will be required:-

* Complete a Safe Working Practice (SWP) Assessment - there is a short course at a TAFE College that prepares you for this Assessment (this is optional and up to your discretion). The Safe Working Practice Assessment is conducted at either NMIT or EPIC Training Tel:
(03) 9654 1299 or you can visit their website: www.epicitb.com for further information.

* Complete an Application Form which you can download from our website:
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/ForElectri...7/Default.aspx - Related Content

* Provide photocopy of your TRA Certificate and Safe Working Practice Assessment.

* Fee payable of $199.30 (AUD) (Supervised Worker's Licence is for a period of 3 years - which is not renewable).

* As a holder of a Supervised Worker's Licence Class 'L' you will be entitled to carry out electrical installation work under effective supervision of a licensed electrician throughout Victoria.

* In order for you to gain an Electrician's Licence 'A' Grade - you will be required to work under your Supervised Worker's Licence Class 'L' for a period of 12 months in order to gain 12 months or more of electrical wiring installation work experience and pass the full LEA Assessment.

* If you are assessed as an Electrical Mechanic - you will be entitled to apply for an Electrician's Licence 'A' Grade. In order to gain this Licence the following will be required:-

* Complete a full Licensed Electrical Mechanics (LEA) Assessment - there is a short course at a TAFE College that prepares you for this Assessment (this is optional and up to your discretion).

* The Licensed Electrical Mechanics (LEA) Assessment is made up of three components which are as follows:

Safe Working Practice Assessment (SWP)
Theory (LET)
Practical (LEP)

which is conducted at either NMIT or EPIC Training Tel: (03) 9654 1299 or you can visit their website: www.epicitb.com for further information.

* Complete an Application Form which you can download from our website:
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/ForElectri...6/Default.aspx - Related Content

* Provide photocopy of your TRA Certificate as an Electrical Mechanic and Licensed Electrical Mechanics (LEA) Assessment.

* Fee payable of $332.20 (AUD) (Electrician's 'A' Grade Licence is for a period of 5 years - which is renewable).

* As a holder of an Electrician's Licence 'A' Grade you will be entitled to carry out electrical installation work throughout Victoria, but you will not be authorised to contract for profit or reward as this is a separate Registration.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate in contacting our Licensing Department.

I think I have the order figured out, I need to apply to the TRA, then do this safe working course? When I have these 2 done, then I can send them in with my application for my "A grade licence". How much of this can be done overseas (not in UK)? is there an aplication form for the TRA?

Also, I have read a lot of posts on here and see you may have to work supervised for 12months even when you have received your A grade licence-is that correct? it's a lot of information to take in at first glance, but hope somebody can help me and get me back on track

thanks in advance!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:36 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice
Default Re: Licensing-Melbourne, Help Please!

Hi,No once you have your A grade you can work unsupervised,however as the letter says you cannot get your own work ,only work for a registred licenced contrator (REC).

Thanks Richard
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

sonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nice
Default Re: Licensing-Melbourne, Help Please!

Originally Posted by mcv
Hi,No once you have your A grade you can work unsupervised,however as the letter says you cannot get your own work ,only work for a registred licenced contrator (REC).

Thanks Richard
Thanks Richard,

I am just about to apply for my ARTC. If I get this, I have to do a safe working course-do you know how long this will take me and the cost?

Also, how long does an "A grade" application take to process?

Thanks Mark