Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

License through correspondence

License through correspondence

Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: License through correspondence

leeob77;

PEER have been only given very limited information to date, its the pen pushers who seem to be running this from Jan 2009, the lady at PEER told me as soon as they have all the facts they shall be letting people know i suggested they also post on this site to help people that they shall do she tells me, apart from that im sorry im unable to get any more info for you.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Glapper;
if you coming to do the wiring rules after December 2008 you shall have to do the new setup for the wiring rules, i would be emailing PEER ASAP to get more info.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
leeob77;

PEER have been only given very limited information to date, its the pen pushers who seem to be running this from Jan 2009, the lady at PEER told me as soon as they have all the facts they shall be letting people know i suggested they also post on this site to help people that they shall do she tells me, apart from that im sorry im unable to get any more info for you.
so its the peer course thats changing?
i must have got the wrong end of the stick. will ask peer now cos they have already confirmed my exam dates for january but they didnt mention any changes!

cheers
lee.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Glapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Glapper;
if you coming to do the wiring rules after December 2008 you shall have to do the new setup for the wiring rules, i would be emailing PEER ASAP to get more info.
I have just e-mailed them, so fingers crossed I'll get some info back next week sometime. Mind you the only contact name I have is called "Kate" and as she doesn't always reply to e-mails it might take longer.

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that I can still go down and do the course & then get the licence.

I will let you know if i get a reply.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glapper;

Kate works in the admin office of the Electrical section withing PERR this is her direct email address.

[email protected]

As i have mentioned regarding the new wiring rules setup at PEER for jan 2009 its all new for them they dont have much info to date, but as soon as they have it then people on here shall also get the info.

They are hoping to produce a short example paper for sparkies to have a go at hoever again that wont be until jan or feb 2009.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:20 am
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

hi guys, my hubby is doing the peer course at the mo, and was doing well until he hit the last section 'etsa utilities rules' and is stuck, do they go through it on the revision days down there??
does anyone know what happens if you do fail and how quickly you can take it again?? have phoned and emailed peer but got nowhere?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:11 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
hi guys, my hubby is doing the peer course at the mo, and was doing well until he hit the last section 'etsa utilities rules' and is stuck, do they go through it on the revision days down there??
does anyone know what happens if you do fail and how quickly you can take it again?? have phoned and emailed peer but got nowhere?
http://www.etsautilities.com.au/cont....jsp?xcid=186&

all though i`m sure that they will go through them as a part of the "referesher" the day before the exam
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie

they should have given you a contact to email in case you get stuck.
if they havent then either email peer or give them a bell. they gave me an email address of my course tutor.

good luck.

lee.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Glapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really nice

I have got an e-mail reply regarding the changing that are being talked about for next year. The main details aren't know as yet but this is an e-mail from Peer regarding the changes they know about.

Ref: Changes next year

Yes you are correct, the requirements will be changing next year. However, the change is with licensing rather than PEER. The details are still being finalised however it is my understanding that the basic Wiring Rules course will remain unchanged. Likely though there will additional training and working experience requirements for your license. How much though we have not yet been told (though a longer training period with log book has been indicated). We are expecting clarification shortly and as soon as this comes through all currently enrolled students will be informed.

The change has come about as each state currently has different requirements for immigrating electricians, with some much longer than others. Whilst each state will remain seperate with their licenses, theses changes will bring them more into line.

As soon as I have more information I will be in touch. I would expect this to be in the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.

Peer

By the sound of this it is about to get harder to get the licence !!! Fingers crossed it doesn't
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glapper
I have got an e-mail reply regarding the changing that are being talked about for next year. The main details aren't know as yet but this is an e-mail from Peer regarding the changes they know about.

Ref: Changes next year

Yes you are correct, the requirements will be changing next year. However, the change is with licensing rather than PEER. The details are still being finalised however it is my understanding that the basic Wiring Rules course will remain unchanged. Likely though there will additional training and working experience requirements for your license. How much though we have not yet been told (though a longer training period with log book has been indicated). We are expecting clarification shortly and as soon as this comes through all currently enrolled students will be informed.

The change has come about as each state currently has different requirements for immigrating electricians, with some much longer than others. Whilst each state will remain seperate with their licenses, theses changes will bring them more into line.

As soon as I have more information I will be in touch. I would expect this to be in the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.

Peer

By the sound of this it is about to get harder to get the licence !!! Fingers crossed it doesn't

Great.....As if it's not difficult enough as it is, it looks like there will be more hoops to jump through!.

Do the powers that be not recognise how difficult it to get an australian employer to employ you without a full electrical licence???. It ends up becoming the "chicken and egg" scenario. No experience no licence, No license no experience!.

I have no problem at all in understanding that foreign sparks need training to Aus standards....but how's about making it accessible and straightforward for them to do!.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:28 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

i think what they are trying to do is to make each state apply the same training requirements and to be honest reading glappers post it sounds like they are going to adopt a system similar to the one currently used by qld,

i can acctually see the sense in it currently we have massive differences in what they will accept as training in order to obtain an electrical licence, in victoria its mental you`d be better off retraining as a brain surgeon, whilst in SA its only really a case of turning up we have to accept it as a "loop hole" in the system being tightend up,

i know some one will come along and it all right for you steve you already have your licence thats true enough but i did do mine in qld and i had to wait for four months untill i had enough in the log book to proceed to the exam stage, ( they paid me 2 bucks short of the electricians rate untill i was licenced ) you can do it all your course via correspondance in qld too and only go along for a day for the exam,

for anyone wanting to get licenced in qld speak to chris at qet
http://www.qet.edu.au/

the real problem does lie with the getting a job with a permit to train

some employers arnt intrested, you carnt do anything with theese

some dont know the rules and think that you have to work under an australia qualified spark untill you qualify,
this was said to me
"we carnt afford to have two men doing the same job untill youve passed the exam"
this isnt acctualy true i have spoken to the electrical safety office and they advised me to look into the electrical heath and safety rules

as supervsion is required on a basis that is suitable to the level of the trainees ability,

CODE OF PRACTICE
E L E C T R I C A L W O R K E L E C T R I C A L S A F E T Y A C T 2 0 0 2
ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE

(3) The level of supervision required under subsection (2) must be
appropriate, having regard to –
(a) the type of electrical work performed; and
(b) the adequacy of the training person’s training; and
(c) the competency of the training person.

(4) In this section –
“training person” means a person who is undertaking, but has not
finished –
(a) an apprenticeship under the Training and Employment Act
2000, in a calling that requires the person to perform electrical
work; or
(b) a training program approved by the chief executive that
requires the person to perform electrical work.

Supervision means the overseeing of workers, including trainees and
apprentices, to ensure risks to people and property are eliminated or at
least minimised. While a supervisor may perform audits, auditing should
not be seen as interchangeable with supervision.
Supervision of electrical work includes:
✱ Health and safety matters;
✱ Statutory compliance e.g. what work an apprentice or restricted
electrical worker is permitted to perform;
✱ Technical aspects e.g. compliance with AS/NZS 3000; and
✱ Implementation of a safe system of work.
✱ Generally, the two distinct styles of supervision are described as:
✱ Direct supervision means supervision occurs at all times on a direct
and constant basis; and
General supervision means supervision where the worker does not
require the constant attendance of the supervisor

we as sparkies albeit unlicenecd come under the highlighted section
i took this along to an interview and after they had called to check this with the electrical safty office i got the job,

and some employers arnt that fussy they just need sparkies
and are quite wiling to emply you on this basis usually for a couople of bucks short of the normal rate

i honestly dont see this as much of a problem if you phone around first and tell any prospective employer your an UK sparkie on a permit to train untill licenced you can weed out the not intreseted blinkered ones out at the start and get your self some work

last bit honest

whilst the system is a pain in the arse and if you read back two years i was ranting about it too but having gone through the system i`ve bee conviced that it is the way to go, we dont have any three month ive got new tools sparks, bob the builder carnt decide he`s a sparkie this week
( and we all knwo that this does happen in the UK ) as when he applies for a job the first thing they ask for is proof of your licence and is it in date so all in all it keeps the electrical wannabees and diy`ers out and helps preserve jobs for real sparks

regards steve
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:22 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

I see your points and i too am all for not making it too easy to get qualified, we only need to look at the workers here in england to appricete that! .................................................. ....................................... but it sure reads to me that they are going to make the whole process a little (ok alot) more difficult .................................................. ....................................... so on that note i wish all that are nearly ready for getting there un-restricted licensce good luck and hope you can sneek through quickly before they tighten this loop hole as it were. .................................................. .................... as for me and the rest who are quite a way off yet i suppose that a few bucks less an hour will have to do for now as frustrating this will be because you know you are going to be a shed load better than the sparks the aussies have put through college over there judgingby what i have seen and read on here in the past .................................................. .......Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Oct 23rd 2008 at 12:24 am. Reason: dots only way to break this up on sh1te common PC!!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

steve`o;
i think your right mate, im sure they are just trying to make it a level playing field for the A class license, PEER may have a loop hole that's for sure & it will close we could see that coming but if people have to have the log book so what in the end they shall get there.

In Victoria its bloody hard to work without the A class license due to work law issues, as you also mentioned in Vic its bastard to get the license, its so stress full here & the morons will fail people at the drop of a hat, that's how nice these pricks are, i have NOT met one person who has a nice word for the instructors at EPIC training in Melbourne. Even ESV don't like them, so that's telling you something.

But as you say some company's may take people on for a few dollars less, the fact is some people may not be up to doing the A class i would hope most are.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

i emailed ocba in south australia last week to ask about any changes and this is what they said:

Good afternoon Lee,

Unfortunately I have no information and am not aware of any licensing changes occurring in 2009. I have also spoken to my supervisor and he is unaware of any changes taking place at that time.

Once you have completed the Wiring Rules Course and Exam, come into our office immediately with your original ARTC and Wiring Rules Certificate, 100 points of identification (e.g. passport and drivers licence), and we can complete an application form on the spot in one day. Please be aware that there will be a fee of $350 which includes your licence for the next 3 years. Also, please ensure that all documentation is spelt in your full legal name.

Once the workers registration is granted (taking approximately 2-4 weeks), it will be automatically posted to your postal address. If you would like to change the address once you have lodged the application, please contact us immediately to update the necessary changes.

Many regards

so as far as they are concerned either they arent changing anything or they are playing their cards close to their chests!

lee.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:33 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Nice one Lee some good news at last

Well if they stick to it that is!

Good luck in Jan mate

Dougie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.