British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   A Licence at last (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/licence-last-762623/)

Neil-Lynne Jun 23rd 2012 10:22 am

A Licence at last

Just received my A licence. Here's my experiences if they help anyone. If anyone has any questions please ask.

Originally did Vetassess in the UK. Moved to Oz this year in January. Having read posts on here about getting licenced, I applied to TRA whilst still in the UK, but received a reply saying they could not process my application as I did not yet live in Australia.

Arrived in Australia and went to see the Skills Recognition Service in Adelaide. Very very helpful and knew the process inside out. They checked a copy of my application to TRA and advised me to revise it to fulfill the TRA criteria. My application was 120 pages long in the form of a statutory declaration as well as copies of qualifications and references.

I was told by TRA it would take 5-9 months to process. There could be 3 outcomes. Best outcome is approved and ARTC issued, second best is get a technical interview over the phone (this is the norm apparently now according to Skills Recognition Services), and worst case scenario is rejected. I was lucky and got approved and my ARTC certificate within 3 months.

Booked my wiring rules course at Peer Veet in Adelaide. 3 week course, Tues and Thurs all day. Course consisted of 5 theory assessments and 1 practical inspection and testing assessment. Quite intense course and fast moving, lots of hours needed at home to fill in the workbook. I went into the course thinking this stage would be a breeze similar to the 17th Edition in the UK, but this course is much more difficult. I passed the course then took both the ARTC and wiring rules Certificate to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs in Adelaide and two weeks and $380 later I received my Electrical Mechanic unrestricted A licence. :thumbsup:

Peer said the rules course was about to change in July ish. They said the course was becoming harder more towards the Australian capstone qualification.

Definately a must to get your CITB card before doing the wiring rules course as this more than halves the cost. You don't need to be working to get this, just give them a ring.

Any questions let me know. Happy to help anyone else in this situation because its been really hard work for me and I was lucky to meet some local lads here who helped.

Alfresco Jun 23rd 2012 10:47 am

Re: A Licence at last

Congrats, that's awesome! :thumbup:

Jockstar Jun 23rd 2012 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Neil-Lynne (Post 10134596)
Just received my A licence. Here's my experiences if they help anyone. If anyone has any questions please ask.

Originally did Vetassess in the UK. Moved to Oz this year in January. Having read posts on here about getting licenced, I applied to TRA whilst still in the UK, but received a reply saying they could not process my application as I did not yet live in Australia.

Arrived in Australia and went to see the Skills Recognition Service in Adelaide. Very very helpful and knew the process inside out. They checked a copy of my application to TRA and advised me to revise it to fulfill the TRA criteria. My application was 120 pages long in the form of a statutory declaration as well as copies of qualifications and references.

I was told by TRA it would take 5-9 months to process. There could be 3 outcomes. Best outcome is approved and ARTC issued, second best is get a technical interview over the phone (this is the norm apparently now according to Skills Recognition Services), and worst case scenario is rejected. I was lucky and got approved and my ARTC certificate within 3 months.

Booked my wiring rules course at Peer Veet in Adelaide. 3 week course, Tues and Thurs all day. Course consisted of 5 theory assessments and 1 practical inspection and testing assessment. Quite intense course and fast moving, lots of hours needed at home to fill in the workbook. I went into the course thinking this stage would be a breeze similar to the 17th Edition in the UK, but this course is much more difficult. I passed the course then took both the ARTC and wiring rules Certificate to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs in Adelaide and two weeks and $380 later I received my Electrical Mechanic unrestricted A licence. :thumbsup:

Peer said the rules course was about to change in July ish. They said the course was becoming harder more towards the Australian capstone qualification.

Definately a must to get your CITB card before doing the wiring rules course as this more than halves the cost. You don't need to be working to get this, just give them a ring.

Any questions let me know. Happy to help anyone else in this situation because its been really hard work for me and I was lucky to meet some local lads here who helped.

Well done mate. Its always good to get up to date views on getting licenced.

rinkerdink Jun 24th 2012 7:42 am

Well done,

I did the correspondence version in April. They said then we were lucky as it was going to be made a lot harder in the next few months.

It will be great to hear how you get on with finding work and what it's like. We are moving to qld but I have SA on the back burner if I find it difficult getting work with the SA licence

derren7 Jun 24th 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 10135753)
Well done,

I did the correspondence version in April. They said then we were lucky as it was going to be made a lot harder in the next few months.

It will be great to hear how you get on with finding work and what it's like. We are moving to qld but I have SA on the back burner if I find it difficult getting work with the SA licence

Hi Rinkerdink,
Have read a few posts recently of sparks being able to apply for a Qld licence after doing the PEER route. You just have to pester them and point out that they are contravening the mutual recognition agreement.
Regards Derren

rinkerdink Jun 24th 2012 10:41 am

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 10135863)
Hi Rinkerdink,
Have read a few posts recently of sparks being able to apply for a Qld licence after doing the PEER route. You just have to pester them and point out that they are contravening the mutual recognition agreement.
Regards Derren

Sounds promising! Did they have a fitter artc? That's usually where it gets blocked but perhaps they have relaxed a bit as the national licencing is on its way

Andy the spark Jun 25th 2012 8:03 pm

Well done mate.

I'm in the U.K, just starting to phathom out what I need to do. I wanted to get assessed from the U.K but its looking like I'll have to go over to Oz to set it all up!

In you're ARTC application package, did you submit an apprentiship certificate or a jib approved card/certificate aswell as you're qualifications?

When you went to Oz were you allowed to work as a spark while you were doing you're course and waiting around for you're application results?

Would it be worth the risk for me to apply from the U.K and use my Auntie's address in Oz? Because I was hoping to have lined up a job for when I went over.

Thanks mate! Andy.

DR_SURF Jun 26th 2012 6:03 am

Hi there. Congrats on getting through!!

I haven't heard about the skills recognition service - is that a south australia thing or nationwide?

meglas Sep 2nd 2012 7:04 am

Hi all
my Wiring regulation Peer exam in Adelaide is in 2 weeks>
Has someone some hints for the practical exam?