British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   LET + LEP 3 day tutorial not cutting it for me (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/let-lep-3-day-tutorial-not-cutting-me-874335/)

Eltonb Mar 15th 2016 9:18 am

LET + LEP 3 day tutorial not cutting it for me

Hi guys/girls

Currently on a 457 visa, done my OTSR and now going for the LET + LEP to obtain my licence in Victoria. I just wanted to make this thread to see if anyone is having or had the same problem as me.

I recently did the tutorial for the LEP and currently on the LET. Whilst being on the courses I have found that all the guys on the courses are apprentices just coming out of their time and have been studying the regs ect for the last 4 years. I qualified in the uk over 5 years ago and have not done electrical theory for quite a few years and this is where my problem is, the course is not designed to teach you the regs its just like a refresher course to rejig your memory on a few regs and calculations and its just not cutting it for me. They just provided practice exams and questions to work through and the tutors are there for some guidance but I found this isn't enough so I spoke to the tutor and told him my situation and both tutors on the LET + LEP told me they are not there to teach in to much depth, its just a brush up to get you threw the exam. I asked him if there is any other option so i can learn more to fill the gaps that i don't have the knowledge of because I was trained in the uk and he come up with private tutoring but no one at the college could do it because its conflict of interest :confused:

If someone has been threw this process or has any idea how they can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Elton

old.sparkles Mar 15th 2016 9:57 am

Re: LET + LEP 3 day tutorial not cutting it for me

Originally Posted by Eltonb (Post 11895723)
Hi guys/girls

Currently on a 457 visa, done my OTSR and now going for the LET + LEP to obtain my licence in Victoria. I just wanted to make this thread to see if anyone is having or had the same problem as me.

I recently did the tutorial for the LEP and currently on the LET. Whilst being on the courses I have found that all the guys on the courses are apprentices just coming out of their time and have been studying the regs ect for the last 4 years. I qualified in the uk over 5 years ago and have not done electrical theory for quite a few years and this is where my problem is, the course is not designed to teach you the regs its just like a refresher course to rejig your memory on a few regs and calculations and its just not cutting it for me. They just provided practice exams and questions to work through and the tutors are there for some guidance but I found this isn't enough so I spoke to the tutor and told him my situation and both tutors on the LET + LEP told me they are not there to teach in to much depth, its just a brush up to get you threw the exam. I asked him if there is any other option so i can learn more to fill the gaps that i don't have the knowledge of because I was trained in the uk and he come up with private tutoring but no one at the college could do it because its conflict of interest :confused:

If someone has been threw this process or has any idea how they can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Elton

There are examples of the LET with answers online and it does not look too difficult. The wiring rules are similar to 17th Ed with only a few differences. Take time to just go through as many examples as you can find.

Not sure what is involved in the LEP but can't someone you work with give you some help?