Latest way to get Licensed A

Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:37 am
Just Joined

iJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Latest way to get Licensed A

Hello,
does anybody know what the current state of affairs is with regards to Licensing?
Is it all GAP training and log books?

Can you sit an intensive course?

Is it worth going and getting licensed in another state and then transferring?

Only having read quite a lot on here over the last few years, it seems to be a nightmare getting licensed, with not many clear paths to follow.

Any help would be appreciated as long as its 'up to date'!
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest way to get Licensed A

Originally Posted by iJim
Hello,
does anybody know what the current state of affairs is with regards to Licensing?
Is it all GAP training and log books?

Can you sit an intensive course?

Is it worth going and getting licensed in another state and then transferring?

Only having read quite a lot on here over the last few years, it seems to be a nightmare getting licensed, with not many clear paths to follow.

Any help would be appreciated as long as its 'up to date'!
I believe all states require evidence of Australian work experience now for all overseas workers for A License.

someone did get an NZ license and look to transfer that to an AUS license but not sure how successful that was.

Here in SA, it was possible to get the gap training funded by a government group - Skills For All which saves money. And Peer allow you to do a written logbook rather than eProfiling which can be completed in 3 months with a good enough variety of work.

There used to be rumours that you would not be able to get licensed in other states with an SA license but there have been posters on here that have managed it with no problems. On the current route, I wouldn't think there would be an issue as you get the Cert III when all gap training / logbook completed.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

iJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, the Peer logbook method is still going? I was under the impression that had/was being phased out over other methods. It's good to know its still a possibility.
The problem may arise perhaps if you were to get licensed, and put a postal address as QLD..
Old Oct 9th 2015, 7:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iJim
Okay, the Peer logbook method is still going? I was under the impression that had/was being phased out over other methods. It's good to know its still a possibility.
The problem may arise perhaps if you were to get licensed, and put a postal address as QLD..
With FIFO work around, I wouldn't think that would be an issue
Old Oct 27th 2015, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

When you have your OSTR, what would be the first thing required to do once in WA to get started on your training and moving towards getting your A grade licence? Anyone know the process and steps required to getting your A grade licence?
Old Oct 28th 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by shaw86
When you have your OSTR, what would be the first thing required to do once in WA to get started on your training and moving towards getting your A grade licence? Anyone know the process and steps required to getting your A grade licence?
Have you seen this - https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publi...-overseas-otsr
Old Oct 28th 2015, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen that before, the link looks very useful. Much Obliged :-)
Old Oct 28th 2015, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Also anyone else looking at heading to WA I found this regarding the training. http://www.challenger.wa.edu.au/shor...x#.VjAniF_EmnN
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Also for Sparkies further north. http://www.cet.asn.au/Libraries/Cour...ning.sflb.ashx
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Dreyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
I found the below on an old thread.
Does anyone know if this is still working or if it might work? Sounds really good but looks like this was an option in 2012 when it was posted or just a lucky hole in the process?! Is this course still available?
Please advise!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cimek

I want to share my experience. Just finished ETL course for A-grade licence at Polytechnic West / Balga Campus - Vetassess way.

I walked to Energy Safety in person, with all relevant papers, next day after arrived in Perth. They copied my OTSR, scanned passport and gave me proper form to fill (there is 2 of them, depends which way you are going), then I paid by credit card 109$. They said, they will send the answer within 4 weeks. I called them every week to be sure everything's fine, but as nothing came by then I visited them again. They checked my docs with me in the system and found that one page of OTSR is missing. I could wait in vain for ever, they simply didn't bothered to inform me about it. I emailed missing page same day and a few days later they called me that docs are ready for me to collect.
My advise at this stage: don't leave it with them and trust everything's fine, keep checking it yourself.

In envelope I found Electrical Worker's Permit, valid for 12 months which allowi me to work legally under supervision plus eligibility to enrol to ETL 80 hours course plus list of 4 places I can attend, with contact numbers to responsible for it persons. I called all of them and was lucky to find vacancy at soonest starting one – Polytechnic West / Balga Campus. I paid them a visit same day with letter from Energy Safety, paid 211$ for subsided ( if you have PR visa) course and bought PDF version of books(AS3000 and AS 3008) from their library. They also printed it out and bind for me for 57$ altogether. Another two books: “Design and Install” and “Inspecting and Testing” I got for free when started course.

Course schedule:
Day 1: Ohm's law, parallel circuits
Day 2: First Aid, CPR, Determining cable type and size.
Day 3: Maximum Demand, Voltage Drop
Day 4: Installation's assembly, 2h of theory, 6 hours practise.
Day 5: Motor starting (contactors, star/delta), transformers, different types of lights, mercury, sodium etc. At the end of the day they gave us portfolio to be done over weekend – typical house plan, you have to count appliances, calculate maximum demand, voltage drop, match cables, CBs and design Consumer Unit.
Day 6: Isolation, Testing Equipment , testing installation on dummy boards – theory/practise
Day 7: Performing installation followed by the plan and testing it.
Day 8: Portfolio collection and discussing problems, revision, written multiple choice test, insulation procedures test.
Day 9: Practical exam: Assembling own installation by plan, testing it, testing equipment.
Day 10: Re-exam. If you failed on something before, you can do it again, still within the course.

Everything what is on the exam was earlier on the course. If you carefully listen to tutors you should have no problem with passing the exam. Half of the group passed everything by Thursday, other half came ones more Friday and had to redo only parts they failed first time. After 2 hours everyone was happy.

Course is very well organised, tutors, even if demanding, very nice and helpful. Australian rules are similar to those in UK, but there are still some differences and different practises of doing some things, so it's good to know it before you start working here anyway. That's basically what is this course about.

I was told they will inform ES about results monday, it takes another few days for ES to revise it and someday at the end of next week I can expect call from ES to collect my Licence.
If it's true I will get my A-Grade in 7 weeks since arrive in OZ.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dreyan
Hi guys,
I found the below on an old thread.
Does anyone know if this is still working or if it might work? Sounds really good but looks like this was an option in 2012 when it was posted or just a lucky hole in the process?! Is this course still available?
Please advise!

Not sure if the course is still available but do know that all states require a period of supervised employment to gain a full license. This can be e-profiling or logbook and needs to cover a variety of work.

Any state were you looking at? WA only? Check the link above for WA Commerce.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 13th 2016 at 12:33 am.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Dreyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure if the course is still available but do know that all states require a period of supervised employment to gain a full license. This can be e-profiling or logbook and needs to cover a variety of work.

Any state were you looking at? WA only? Check the link above for WA Commerce.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

Planning to get licenced ASAP where is the fastest and easyest? ! I'm in UK, still undecided where and how to start. I can not survive if I start working supervised and all that. Have family and 3 kids under 6.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 13th 2016 at 12:33 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Jan 13th 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Dreyan
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

Planning to get licenced ASAP where is the fastest and easyest? ! I'm in UK, still undecided where and how to start. I can not survive if I start working supervised and all that. Have family and 3 kids under 6.
From what I've found, hiring processes are not the quickest here so you should have enough funds to cover you for at least 3 months anyway.

You should still be paid whilst working towards your full license but the process is not quick. The first work I found started nearly 5 months after I arrived and was in a different line of work so I wasn't working towards my license. In the 5 months though I did do the classroom work needed - wiring rules, OH&S, Electrical rescue, etc.

The second job was as an electrician, and I managed to complete the logbook 3 months after starting as my employers were aware of the need to have a variety of work and made it possible for me. I was on about 2/3rds of my current salary whilst working towards my license.