Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

jobs for bms controls electrician

jobs for bms controls electrician

Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:40 pm
The Marriott's

kev9672jedi will become famous soon enough
Default jobs for bms controls electrician

I have just sent off my TRA application and was wondering what sort of employment there is in australia for an electrician installing BMS wiring and control wiring.Is it the same as over here i.e boilerhouse and plant room work.Do they use metal conduit/trunking etc like over here?what can i expect to earn doing the above work?has anybody got any contacts or know any companies i can get in touch with.Weare thinking about SA(adelaide).
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:35 am
Just Joined

jonallcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: jobs for bms controls electrician

Originally Posted by kev9672jedi
I have just sent off my TRA application and was wondering what sort of employment there is in australia for an electrician installing BMS wiring and control wiring.Is it the same as over here i.e boilerhouse and plant room work.Do they use metal conduit/trunking etc like over here?what can i expect to earn doing the above work?has anybody got any contacts or know any companies i can get in touch with.Weare thinking about SA(adelaide).
Hi,

I'm in NSW, the majority of BMS work is in the city down in the CBD. I presume it will be the same for Adelaide.
There has been various discussions on here about steel conduit and how it is not used in AUS however the factory I work in has everything in steel.
Companies looking for BMS engineers are TAC pacific do a search on the tinti as they have several branches and names.

Jon
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What is BMS?

I may be able to help if I knew what it was
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:53 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
What is BMS?

Not often i get to help you Wendy but BMS is building management systems. Its controls and that sort of thing. A lot of it is low voltage stuff. Relay's, microswitches that sort of thing. Electrical fitter me thinks

Stu
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
Not often i get to help you Wendy but BMS is building management systems. Its controls and that sort of thing. A lot of it is low voltage stuff. Relay's, microswitches that sort of thing. Electrical fitter me thinks

Stu
Ok thanks

Not seen much about for that sort of thing. It's mostly house wiring or PLC work, of which there is loads about
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:36 pm
The Marriott's

Originally Posted by Wendy
What is BMS?

BMS is building managment systems.Over here i mainly do work in plant rooms and boiler houses,installing pumps air handling units etc for air conditioning.They must have this sort of thing over there for the big buildings or are they not up to our standards yet?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

BMS is building managment systems.Over here i mainly do work in plant rooms and boiler houses,installing pumps air handling units etc for air conditioning.They must have this sort of thing over there for the big buildings or are they not up to our standards yet?
Try this web site for BMS engineeres

http://www.tac.com/

They have extensive BMS systems on HVAC over here and the standards are the same as the UK (equipment not installation!!!!!!)

Jon
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:15 pm
The Marriott's

Originally Posted by jonallcock
Try this web site for BMS engineeres

http://www.tac.com/

They have extensive BMS systems on HVAC over here and the standards are the same as the UK (equipment not installation!!!!!!)

Jon
cheers.will try the link.are there many vacancies for BMS engineers or are they hard to come by.are there different jobs for the installation side of things and the commissioning side or are you expected to do both?do u know what sort of money you can expect?thanks again
kev
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I probably just haven't noticed them, but I will take notice for you
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:38 am
Just Joined

cheers.will try the link.are there many vacancies for BMS engineers or are they hard to come by.are there different jobs for the installation side of things and the commissioning side or are you expected to do both?do u know what sort of money you can expect?thanks again
kev
I've only seen a few jobs for BMS engineers (commissioning) in Sydney
I have not seen any jobs for BMS installation electricians as this is what I was looking for.
Do engineers do installation and commisioning I cannot answer that one.
However in engineering your expected to do everything design,source commission,test the whole installation and paid the same rate as a spark.
BMS engineers hit mid 60K$ plus O/T but remember this is in Sydney the dearest place on the planet.
I have based my answers on what I have personally experianced, read from it what you can but remember states differ widely on job expectancy, wages etc.
I have worked with TAC in the UK and they are hell bent on world dommination they are a massive company.At the minute they only want BMS engineers out here as the are trying to expand the Asia Pacific operation and electricians are sourced locally for installation. If you have the expertise I would suggest go with these.
Apologies if I am rambling on I'm onto my fifth glass of red!!!!!!!!

Jon
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Kev,
There is work available for BMS engineers, it is very similar to the UK, computer system in the main office from which you can access any plant and check the operation of the system. I have seen a couple of condition based moinitoring systems which are looked after by a facilities management company.
Mate has just finished installing cables for a BMS system on a supermarket refit all the electricians have done is install the cables and gland them off, the commisioning engineers will terminate test and commision he says.
I have WA A grade Electrical licence and Gas fitters ticket, just waiting for Air-conditioning exam which will allow me to carry out commisioning and maintenance work for various companies.There is an abundance of work available.
Who do you work for in Newcastle? I am originally from Blyth.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:48 pm
The Marriott's

Originally Posted by Brigall
Kev,
There is work available for BMS engineers, it is very similar to the UK, computer system in the main office from which you can access any plant and check the operation of the system. I have seen a couple of condition based moinitoring systems which are looked after by a facilities management company.
Mate has just finished installing cables for a BMS system on a supermarket refit all the electricians have done is install the cables and gland them off, the commisioning engineers will terminate test and commision he says.
I have WA A grade Electrical licence and Gas fitters ticket, just waiting for Air-conditioning exam which will allow me to carry out commisioning and maintenance work for various companies.There is an abundance of work available.
Who do you work for in Newcastle? I am originally from Blyth.
Working for scott and coultherd in newcastle.