British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Irish Electrician moving to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/irish-electrician-moving-oz-733977/)

Dwayne2912 Sep 28th 2011 10:27 pm

Irish Electrician moving to Oz

Can anyone help me, im an irish electrician moving to australia (sydney) in january. I dont have a clue how to go about getting my electrical licence. Would appreciate any information.. Thanks!!

rinkerdink Sep 29th 2011 7:32 am

Re: Irish Electrician moving to Oz

If you already have a visa sorted that didn't include having you and your trade as main applicant then you need to apply to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA for short) for and Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC for short) once you have this there are a few options open to you but they depend largely on the particular state you plan to settle and work in. But you must have the ARTC before doing anything else

Lou_Diamond_Phillips Sep 29th 2011 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dwayne2912 (Post 9647060)
Can anyone help me, im an irish electrician moving to australia (sydney) in january. I dont have a clue how to go about getting my electrical licence. Would appreciate any information.. Thanks!!

Are you emigrating or coming on a working holiday visa? You can work unlicensed in Sydney.

Dwayne2912 Sep 29th 2011 9:15 pm

Hi lou,
Im goin on 1yr working holiday visa. So i dont need any licence in sydney atall. Is it legal not too have one then??

Dwayne2912 Sep 29th 2011 9:27 pm

Hey rinker
Oh right, could i do the artc here in ireland before i go over.. Is there much of a waiting list in getting it

rinkerdink Sep 30th 2011 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Dwayne2912 (Post 9648938)
Hey rinker
Oh right, could i do the artc here in ireland before i go over.. Is there much of a waiting list in getting it

They say you need to be in oz to apply but the reality seems to be that you need an australian address for the result to be posted to. From peoples timelines on here it looks like 3 months is the average time for processing at present, it was just a month but they have a had a glut of applications that has slowed them down

Jockstar Sep 30th 2011 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Dwayne2912 (Post 9648918)
Hi lou,
Im goin on 1yr working holiday visa. So i dont need any licence in sydney atall. Is it legal not too have one then??

You can work in Sydney without a licence. As you will be supervised by a licenced sparky. Other states are not so easy. Loads of construction at the moment.

Lou_Diamond_Phillips Sep 30th 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dwayne2912 (Post 9648918)
Hi lou,

Yes it's legal in NSW. Just take your JIB card. As Jockstar says, you'll be working supervised. No need to apply for an ARTC. Have fun mate

Dwayne2912 Oct 1st 2011 3:15 pm

Cheers lads! Been a big help...