British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Initial vetasses application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/initial-vetasses-application-517408/)

Porter Feb 26th 2008 9:11 pm

Initial vetasses application

Hi all,i'm just starting on this wonderful ladder and wondered if you could help me please.I think i'm ok with the route that i'm going to take as i'm a 40 year old sparky,OH and 3 kids so its now or never!!I'm just looking at the forms initially required and does everyone give letterheaded evidence from their existing employer?Don't get me wrong i get on ok with him but he's not going to be best pleased that i'm in the process of seriously thinking of migrating,it may just make things uneasy at work.
Secondly,i'm thinking, get my offshore technical cert,175 visa,ARTC from TRA,then is it maybe "A" grade licence and then indivdual state licence??Phew:unsure:Any advice would be appreciated cheers

Wendy Feb 26th 2008 10:10 pm

Re: Initial vetasses application

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 5987099)
Hi all,i'm just starting on this wonderful ladder and wondered if you could help me please.I think i'm ok with the route that i'm going to take as i'm a 40 year old sparky,OH and 3 kids so its now or never!!I'm just looking at the forms initially required and does everyone give letterheaded evidence from their existing employer?Don't get me wrong i get on ok with him but he's not going to be best pleased that i'm in the process of seriously thinking of migrating,it may just make things uneasy at work.
Secondly,i'm thinking, get my offshore technical cert,175 visa,ARTC from TRA,then is it maybe "A" grade licence and then indivdual state licence??Phew:unsure:Any advice would be appreciated cheers

You could do any of the following:

If you have any other colleagues at work that would write you a reference use them. A supervisor would be best, but if that's impossible then just a colleague will do. If you go this way also send a statutory declaration.

Tell your boss, you are thinking of applying for a visa but you doubt you will get one - that's what we told our bosses :sneaky: It worked too as they also thought it would be too difficult and were really shocked when we actually got a visa :lol: But we got really good references out of them. ;)

Porter Feb 27th 2008 6:20 pm

thanks for those ideas Wendy,i'll give it a go but within a small company walls have ears:(Also the company that i served my apprenticeship with has since ceased trading,will i have to have some certified references from them?I think the company directors are still alive if i can track them down!!

cjgoodall Feb 27th 2008 6:59 pm

I have the same problem as you as the compant I completed my apprenticeship with has since ceased trading . I contacted a guy that I worked with at the time and he has agreed to write a letter confirming that I worked there which I will add to my application. I will also be adding a statatory declaration.

chris

Wendy Feb 27th 2008 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 5991015)
thanks for those ideas Wendy,i'll give it a go but within a small company walls have ears:(Also the company that i served my apprenticeship with has since ceased trading,will i have to have some certified references from them?I think the company directors are still alive if i can track them down!!

Yes, that's the problem isn't it. Don't worry too much, I'm sure they have lots of applications where it's just not practical to get a reference from the current employer for the very same reason.

As for your other question, I would do the same as the following post :)

Originally Posted by cjgoodall (Post 5991183)
I have the same problem as you as the compant I completed my apprenticeship with has since ceased trading . I contacted a guy that I worked with at the time and he has agreed to write a letter confirming that I worked there which I will add to my application. I will also be adding a statatory declaration.

chris

Porter Feb 27th 2008 8:38 pm

Did you advise any of your current or ex employers about the content of the references,if so is there a general rule of thumb of what to include?many thanks Ian

Wendy Feb 27th 2008 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 5991656)
Did you advise any of your current or ex employers about the content of the references,if so is there a general rule of thumb of what to include?many thanks Ian

I wrote them all, they then read, printed and signed them. If we'd have waited for them to do it, it would have taken years :D

Porter Feb 27th 2008 8:50 pm

Hi Wendy,did you write exactly the same reference for each one or did you vary the content slightly?Could you possibly tell me the main points that you included in your works of art:DThanks Ian

Wendy Feb 28th 2008 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 5991728)
Hi Wendy,did you write exactly the same reference for each one or did you vary the content slightly?Could you possibly tell me the main points that you included in your works of art:DThanks Ian

They were all different. I'll try to find them and PM you tomorrow with what was in them. :)

Porter Feb 29th 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Wendy,do you think a call to vetassess directly regarding the issue of ex and current employers would help.Theres probably someone in the department that would advise on the paper assessement side of things i hope:unsure:

Wendy Feb 29th 2008 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Porter (Post 5999921)
Hi Wendy,do you think a call to vetassess directly regarding the issue of ex and current employers would help.Theres probably someone in the department that would advise on the paper assessement side of things i hope:unsure:

It can't hurt