INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN

Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

jam eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN

Hi there there does anyone know/have experience of more industrial type work for electricians in oz ,the wife and i have read and heard that Perth maybe the place .I currently work as an electrical installation spark on mainly more industrial type jobs (water ,oil and gas) and would like to stay in that sector . Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.
cheers
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN

Originally Posted by jam eater
Hi there there does anyone know/have experience of more industrial type work for electricians in oz ,the wife and i have read and heard that Perth maybe the place .I currently work as an electrical installation spark on mainly more industrial type jobs (water ,oil and gas) and would like to stay in that sector . Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.
cheers

Perth is great if you want to work in the mining industry, as this seems to be where the jobs and money is at the moment. Although there are plenty of jobs in this sector in QLD too, and some in SA (which will be increasing soon).

Of course it really depends what you are looking for in you move here. If you want more quality family time, then the mines aren't going to cut it as you will be away a lot. If you're after the cash, then it would be a good move.

So what do you want from you move? That's the question you need to ask yourself
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks Wendy , family time is certainly most important , just dont fancy crawling around lofts.What about oil or chemical industry in perth or anywhere else for that matter.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy , family time is certainly most important , just dont fancy crawling around lofts.What about oil or chemical industry in perth or anywhere else for that matter.

Well there is quite a bit of industrial work about too. I'm not sure about the oil and chemical industry though.

My Oh works in Manufacturing, mainly doing PLC work and I can tell you there is plenty of that about - both in and out of the mines.

For more specific stuff you'd be best looking on www.careerone.com.au as most jobs are advertised on there. You now what you're looking for better than me (after all I'm female, I know nothing about electrical stuff - except how to switch on the light )
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks ever so much
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

l33nsta is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to goto Perth there is heaps of work there.

I am currently working at a Mine site near Newman (Western Australia) at a BHP Mine doing construction.

I usually check the following job sites:
www.seek.com.au
www.thewest.com.au (Main Perth News Paper which has heaps of jobs listed)

Until you get an electrical licence you won't be able to work as an electrician.
Here is the web address of the Western Australian Licence Board
http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/En...licensing.html

If i was you I'd start inquiring about it before you make the move. As you might be able to get the ball rolling before hand.

Once you get all of that sorted go and register with as many employment agencies as possible. You will see them all advertising online and in the news papers. You will find that they don't pay the best rates at times but its a good start.

Not many tradies want to work in Perth as they can get better money up North. The housing is expensive in Perth but with the exchange rates it might not be too bad for you.

Check
www.realestate.com.au so you can get an idea on house prices.

Thats about all I can think that you would want to know. Any other information you want to know?

In exchange for this can someone tell me whats the address of the UK Electrical Licencing Board. Thinking of going to Swindon for 6 or 12 months to work (Have UK Passport so don't have to worry about a Visa).
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help ,In the uk electricians usually require whats known as a J.I.B.(JOINT INDUSTRY BOARD)card to work.The JIB have a grading system which basically grades you as
electrical trainee (apprentice)
senior electrical trainee
electrician
approved electrician
technician
site manager
They are based in Sidcup kent ,you will also need whats known as a safety passport or cscs(or ecs) card before any construction site will allow you on,its basically a safety orientated multichoice exam(if you can manage to get from oz to uk you should have no problems getting this). Hope this helps.

Im used to working on electrical construction such as armoured cable ladder rack trayplate and lot in hazardous areas too.Just want to make sure i end up in the wright sector .At the moment i live in the northeast in a pretty industrial area and theres always lots of work with out having to travel too far. To be honest its the climate i want to move for, so if i could get a similar job in the warm that would do me .
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

When you say up North wheres that? and what type of jobs are they and is it a good place to live ?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Here is a map of western australia
http://www.discoverwest.com.au/nwestmap.html

You will see where I am, Newman.

It is a nice place to live up here but you need to be aware that there ain't that many shops up here. Most people that live up here travel down to Perth once or twice a year to do major shopping. As you all know, you can get most stuff online now anyway if you look hard enough.

The problem up here is the shortage of accomodation. There is heaps of work but finding somewhere to stay is the problem.

If you get FIFO work (Fly In, Fly Out) usually from Perth they will provide you with somewhere to stay. Its usually in some sort of camp. Eg you own room to your self with a toilet and shower. Big bar and kitchen with a fair few different food choices.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Im used to working on electrical construction such as armoured cable ladder rack trayplate and lot in hazardous areas too.Just want to make sure i end up in the wright sector .At the moment i live in the northeast in a pretty industrial area and theres always lots of work with out having to travel too far. To be honest its the climate i want to move for, so if i could get a similar job in the warm that would do me .
You will get heaps of Industrial Construction work up here. There is heaps on mining equipment at the moment. Thats what I do.

Most of it is cable ladder, steel conduit. Eg shielded control cables. glands, cable numbers. Most of the stuff here you would have seen in some sort of shape or form before.

With your hazardous area stuff that involves a seperate course here. I think its done through a TAFE here. I don't have it and don't know alot of people with it.

May be you should be trying to get into the oil and gas stuff.

They are building a new GAS processing plant near Darwin soon.
I think they are just finishing one at Dampier (on the map in my previous post)
And another one called Pluto will be starting some time in the near future at Dampier.

If you want to goto Adelaide there is a big mine expansion happening there soon. The Olympic Dam/Roxby Downs Mine. They dig out uranium, gold and copper I think.

And all of these places and existing need maintenance sparkies so have a look at the job sites I sent. Even ring up a couple of them and ask whats the job doing. From what you have said you have done in the past most of the stuff here in mining will be easy for you.

I used to work in an automotive factory before this doing breakdowns and I find most of the construction boring at times. Just do it for the $$$$$$
The money is better in contruction but you are spending more time away from home with most of them.

Here are some of the big mining companies up here
http://www.fmgl.com.au/ (just starting out and they are still building the mine and there Port)
http://www.bhpbilliton.com/
http://www.pilbarairon.com/ (Part of the Rio Tinto Group)

Watch the Videos on this page
http://www.pilbarairon.com/SiteConte...ingpilbara.asp

They will give you a bit of an understanding of what goes on up here.

Some of these big mining companies can be slow with applications, eg can be waiting for 6 months for a reply so don't sit at home waiting for them.

Most of the contractors are good and will get back to you straight away.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice mate. What sort of hourly rate would you expect to get on major construction jobs. Keep having a giggle o myself cos we are supposed to be going to oz for an easier life with less hours more time with the kids ,i dont know if its human nature or just the greedy spark in me but i get a buzz when i hear about big jobs kicking off(££££££££££££££££££).
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Some of the employment agencies will try and off you anything from $35 hr flat rate upwards. When doing a 10 or a 12 hour day $35 ain't much really when your working out in the Outback.

At the moment I'm on $33 AUS and hour, plus penalities and plus site allowance (usually approx $5 per hour).

Money per week is hard to say. Up here I have taken home anything from $1850 per/week to $2800 per/week

Depends on the hours worked, eg anything from 6 10hr days a week to 7 12hr days a week.

All of the work I do is FIFO (Fly In Fly Out) so when you hare up here you usually try and work as much as possible as there is nothing else to do in a remote mining camp. Construction that I do is normally 4 weeks on and 1 week off.

If you want to spend time with your family don't do construction FIFO. Its not good on relationships. Heaps of people up here are devorced or on there second Marrage as they don't get to spend much time at home.

Operational Jobs up here are normally 2 weeks on and 1 week off which is less money but better for you as more time with your family. That is if you choose to work in remote locations.

There are some of the places where they will actually relocate you and your family to a remote town so that way you can come home to your family. They provide you with a house as well. But you prob should focus on getting settled in Perth before worrying about this.

Hope I haven't confused you
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by l33nsta
Some of the employment agencies will try and off you anything from $35 hr flat rate upwards. When doing a 10 or a 12 hour day $35 ain't much really when your working out in the Outback.

At the moment I'm on $33 AUS and hour, plus penalities and plus site allowance (usually approx $5 per hour).

Money per week is hard to say. Up here I have taken home anything from $1850 per/week to $2800 per/week

Depends on the hours worked, eg anything from 6 10hr days a week to 7 12hr days a week.

All of the work I do is FIFO (Fly In Fly Out) so when you hare up here you usually try and work as much as possible as there is nothing else to do in a remote mining camp. Construction that I do is normally 4 weeks on and 1 week off.

If you want to spend time with your family don't do construction FIFO. Its not good on relationships. Heaps of people up here are devorced or on there second Marrage as they don't get to spend much time at home.

Operational Jobs up here are normally 2 weeks on and 1 week off which is less money but better for you as more time with your family. That is if you choose to work in remote locations.

There are some of the places where they will actually relocate you and your family to a remote town so that way you can come home to your family. They provide you with a house as well. But you prob should focus on getting settled in Perth before worrying about this.

Hope I haven't confused you
helpfull post mate, we're applying for a 176 state sponsored visa at the mo, man from wa gov said 3 months top's to get visa, so I'll be spending some cash on sorting my licence out. before we land as much as poss. any tips on that side graetfully received.
Cheers
Tim