Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Im a sparky working in building services (maintenance)

Im a sparky working in building services (maintenance)

Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

bidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im a sparky working in building services (maintenance)

Would it be hard to find work in Australia?

Can anyone tell if it is easy or hard to find building service's maintenance jobs as an electrician? I have got about 3 years experience in installation work and for the last 7 years I have been in the critical services of building maintenance working as a shift tech then as a shift leader (banking environment, data centre's) carrying out general maintenance duties to plant, and shut downs etc
I have the following certificates

> city and guilds in electrical installations part 1 and 2 (2380)
> city and guilds in testing and inspection (2391)
> city and guilds PAT testing (2377)
> city and guilds in minimising the risk of legionella in hot and cold water systems
> city and guilds in level 3 supervisors and managers certificate in the operation of evaporative cooling systems
> ILM team leading level 2 certificate
> Managing safely (IOSH)
> I have also completed a High voltage authorised person’s course at Develop in Burn Hall and have some HV switching XP
> First aid appointed persons course
> And I am currently studying at college for a BTEC advanced diploma in engineering principles

Any information offered would be greatly appreciated as I am totally new to this

Regards

Dave
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

bidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Im a sparky working in building services (maintenance)

Hi Again

Any Information on where to start and what is the best route to take in trying to get a licence. I would like to be able to achieve most or all from the UK so that if and when I decided to go I can try and get work straight away with no hassle

Regards

Dave
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

bidz;

when you do your ARTC or Vatassess assessment you shall be awarded one or the other, when your here if you want to work in the electrical field you must do the A class electrical exams to obtain the A class license this all cost money also time for extra schooling.
you may be awarded a Restricted electrical license but with that license you wont be allowed to work on any 1 or 3 phase 230V or 415V equipment at all, the only way you can work unsupervised is to obtain the A class license.

may i ask what state your going to live in, reason for asking is if you want the license then get to S/A Peer training it can be done in 3 days so i have been told some other states may take you 12 months where you must fill in a log book on a daily basis at PEER you get the course work before hand, work through the workbook then do the exams over 3 days the people there are fantastic very helpful.

Every state in Australia requires the A class license to work Unsupervised its not worth a company employing you without the license due to the fact they would have to check all your work continually.

regards
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:15 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I have a similar work history following a Ford apprenticeship (industrial sparking/ multiskilled). As you must be aware loads of Aussies, Kiwi's and Saffers work in this field in the UK and I have always been told I'd get work no problems in NZ or OZ. Good luck and hopefully I won't meet you in the dole queue down under!