Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

im lost and want to go to perth

im lost and want to go to perth

Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

dan77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default im lost and want to go to perth

hello

im looking to go to perth from uk a bit confused on the licience thing i have all my 16th edition qualifications and testing qualification i have been sparking for about 15 years how do you sort the licience out. can i do anything from uk or do i have to wait till i get out there? i dont seem to be able to find any jobs for electricians is there any? there seems to be lots of jobs for other professions .can you have a good standard of living as an electrician out there as i have a family with 2 children

please help i have had enough of uk !!!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: im lost and want to go to perth

Originally Posted by dan77
hello

im looking to go to perth from uk a bit confused on the licience thing i have all my 16th edition qualifications and testing qualification i have been sparking for about 15 years how do you sort the licience out. can i do anything from uk or do i have to wait till i get out there? i dont seem to be able to find any jobs for electricians is there any? there seems to be lots of jobs for other professions .can you have a good standard of living as an electrician out there as i have a family with 2 children

Hi Dan, have you started the via process yet?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

hello

No jobs for sparkies in Perth!!! Your must be on drugs mate Theres bloody thousands! Check out www.seek.com.au, www.thewest.com.au, or the job offers thread on here, my company are currently running a thread on here looking to sponsor sparkies
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Dan, have you started the via process yet?
no i havent started visa process yet not really sure where to start
dan
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
No jobs for sparkies in Perth!!! Your must be on drugs mate Theres bloody thousands! Check out www.seek.com.au, www.thewest.com.au, or the job offers thread on here, my company are currently running a thread on here looking to sponsor sparkies
hello mate thanks for your reply i am after a sponsered job in perth what is the company you work for could you please tell me there email or a way of finding out about these job offeres thanks dan
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

no i havent started visa process yet not really sure where to start
dan
hello mate thanks for your reply i am after a sponsered job in perth what is the company you work for could you please tell me there email or a way of finding out about these job offeres thanks dan
Sponsored visa's are fine, but in Perth itself the only option (that I know of) is the 457 visa, which is a temporary one. It can lead to Permanent (PR) residency, but it's whether you are happy to move half way across the world on a temp visa or not. It's possible to get a PR visa for the more regional parts of Western Australia - but again depends on whether you are happy to go there or not.

You are better to go straight for a PR visa if you can - it can save a lot of hassle, is more secure and allows you to live anywhere you like. Here is a list of things to consider if you do decide to apply for a temporary 457 visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

If you look on the following page of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website you can work out how many points you can get, then I can help you find which visa's you are eligible for and go from there.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm

Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

My advice would be to avoid sponsorship and get skilled independent or PR. As a sparky your on the in demdand list so you can get a visa without sponsors, with sponsorship the company you work for have got you over a barrel. Chances are you'll hate your first few jobs and may need to try a few places before you find one with something almost like standards a bit of organisation!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Sponsored visa's are fine, but in Perth itself the only option (that I know of) is the 457 visa, which is a temporary one. It can lead to Permanent (PR) residency, but it's whether you are happy to move half way across the world on a temp visa or not. It's possible to get a PR visa for the more regional parts of Western Australia - but again depends on whether you are happy to go there or not.

You are better to go straight for a PR visa if you can - it can save a lot of hassle, is more secure and allows you to live anywhere you like. Here is a list of things to consider if you do decide to apply for a temporary 457 visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

If you look on the following page of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website you can work out how many points you can get, then I can help you find which visa's you are eligible for and go from there.

Are you sure about the sponsorship thing in Perth? There are a few sponsored sparkies where i work in Perth.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you sure about the sponsorship thing in Perth? There are a few sponsored sparkies where i work in Perth.

There's only a few postcodes in WA that can be sponsored for PR visa's, anywhere for a temp one. I'll find the postcode list tommorow for the PR ones
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

hello thanks for the help i did the points test i got 140
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

im not sure about getting sponsored i dont like the idea of being tied to one company but i am not sure of all the costs of doing it by myself and if i just get a visa i then have 4 months of not good money trying to get a licence thats how i see it thanks
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's the list of postcodes which are classed as regional for the purposes of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) and the regional concessions for the Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457) - which means that if the employer is in a regional area in Australia they may be eligible for concessions in meeting the minimum salary and skill level requirements for their nominated position.

Western Australia

Except Perth and surrounding areas.

6041 to 6044
6083 to 6084
6121 to 6126
6200 to 6799

http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm

However the ENS, doesn't seem to have this restriction (but don't hold me to that )
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hello thanks for the help i did the points test i got 140
Well you can go for any you like then with that amount of points.

im not sure about getting sponsored i dont like the idea of being tied to one company but i am not sure of all the costs of doing it by myself and if i just get a visa i then have 4 months of not good money trying to get a licence thats how i see it thanks
I think you just need to sit down and weight up the pro's and cons of each one, then at least you are making an informed decision.

Costs will be (for an independant skilled visa):

Skills assessment: $2,200
Visa application: $2060
Medicals (wild guess): £250 - £350
Police Checks: £10

I have no idea of the costs of licencing in WA, and I don't know whether the employer would pay for that or they would expect you to - if you pay then the costs can be offset from your first years tax bill providing it's in the same year as you paid for it (so you can't save it until the year after)

Another alternative is that you get your inependant visa and then apply for jobs before you come out, that way you would have some degree of freedom, but the employer may pay for re-location