Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

IELTS Testing Results - PLEASE HELP!

IELTS Testing Results - PLEASE HELP!

Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

WarrenG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS Testing Results - PLEASE HELP!

Hi can anyone explain the requirements for the IELTS Test scoring?

I have all the electrical qualifications and as I am 40 years of age I have been recommended by several different migration agents that I should sit an IELTS test.

This is to make up 5 missing points (due to my age) of the 120 points needed for the 175 skill migration visa.

They all have told me that I would need a score of 7 out of 9. My question is this an overall score of 7 or a 7 in all bands?

I have taken the test and my scores were as follows:

Listening 7
Reading 6
Writing 7
Speaking 8.5

Overall Band Score 7

Can't seem to find the answer to this and have even asked the university who have said different countries have different requirements.

Any help would be appreciated as I seem to be going around in circles at the moment not knowing if its a pass result or not?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

yakka and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS Testing Results - PLEASE HELP!

Warren

We are in the same position as you what were the tests like......??
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Warren,

This is what we were sent:

I am writing in reply to your questions about the points claimed and our
request for an IELTS test. In your application form, you filled out the
"points test" matrix as follows.

Skill - 60 (Registered Nures)
Age - 15 (Age between 40 and 44)
English - 25 points *
Specifice Work experience - 10 points
Occupation in demand - 15 points

for a total of 125 points. However you have not provided the required
IELTS result to obtain 25 points for English. Currently, as a UK
passport holder (without a proficient IELTS score), you are entitiled to
15 points. This makes your total score 115 points, 5 points short of the
required 120.

In regard to your claim for English, the only way to be awarded 25
points for Proficient English is to provide an IELTS result with scores
of 7 or more in each category. (Please refer to the link below).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm

Hope it is useful

Regards

Sean
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yakka and Deb
Warren

We are in the same position as you what were the tests like......??
The first test was a listening test where you listened to a conversation between a sales person and a customer and you had to answer questions about the conversation. Sounds easy enough but the conversation was about some fridge freezers with different specifications i.e. sizes, capacity loadings, colours, prices, delivery etc and the main questions were based around theses. 30mins.

The Second test was straight after the first and was a reading test. In this test you had to read different pages of information and then attempt to interpret the information to choose the answers. For example there was a whole page of advertisements relating to rented property (flats) and the were questions about the suitability of the flats for different applications i.e. which property was in most need of improvement, which property would be more suitable for pensioners etc. That wasn't too bad, but there was a whole long story about medication history dating way back and put into different segments where you had to chose a suitable title relating to each segment. This I found harder because the segments appeared to relate to several titles. Of course you have to read every word to get the gist of the Information. Other pages of information included college computer rooms, gyms, library rooms with information about services provided etc. 60 mins

Third test straight after the second test was a writing test. Two things projects to do. One was to write a letter to respond to an advertisement requesting peoples help to work and improve the environment. Introduce yourself; explain why you were interested to help and how you could help. Letter had to be 150 words minimum. Secondly you had to write an essay of 250 words about a topic given. The topic given was 'what I thought about children being brought up by other family members' and 'should they be brought up by there parents only'. 60 mins

Bit of a break, then you had a time slot for a one to one speaking test. Where you had to answer direct questions with an examiner and then talk about a subject chosen by the examiner for a few minutes and interact with the examiner. Subject in my case was ' Can you tell me about a time when you had taken some good advice from someone?' You are taped like something off the TV program the Bill. about 20 mins

Once done you wait for the results to come through on a Test Report Form with your photograph on.

Best way I can describe it is that it isn't as clean cut as you would think it would be.

Further information here:

http://www.ielts.org/pdf/IELTS_Handbook_2007.pdf

I hope this helps you & good luck!

Warren
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Warren thanks for the insight............

Best Regards

Yakka
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Does anybody else know anything about the points scoring process?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:14 am
Just Joined

accccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really nice

Originally Posted by WarrenG

I have all the electrical qualifications and as I am 40 years of age I have been recommended by several different migration agents that I should sit an IELTS test.

This is to make up 5 missing points (due to my age) of the 120 points needed for the 175 skill migration visa.

They all have told me that I would need a score of 7 out of 9. My question is this an overall score of 7 or a 7 in all bands?

Listening 7
Reading 6
Writing 7
Speaking 8.5

Overall Band Score 7

Can't seem to find the answer to this and have even asked the university who have said different countries have different requirements.

Any help would be appreciated as I seem to be going around in circles at the moment not knowing if its a pass result or not?
Ans: Overall bandscore

For Oz migration purposes, your overall band score of 7 is acceptable. I got the same overall band score-7. I got a band score of 6 in listening. I am now here in NSW as an electrician. Depending on the trade, the lowest immigration requirement is 4.5 overall band score. One of my co-workers, also an electrician, got here In Australia last Jul 2008 with a total bandscore of 4.5.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarrenG

Listening 7
Reading 6
Writing 7
Speaking 8.5

Overall Band Score 7

Depends whether you need 15 points or 25 points for English.

If you wish to claim 25 points you will need to meet the required English language test results for proficient English - to claim proficient english you must provide one of the following:
  • IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing
    or
  • evidence of having achieved a score of `B´ or higher on each of the four (4) components of the OET Test.

On the scores you have you can only claim 15 points for competent English.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

accccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really nice

Originally Posted by accccjr

For Oz migration purposes, your overall band score of 7 is acceptable. I got the same overall band score-7. I got a band score of 6 in listening. I am now here in NSW as an electrician. Depending on the trade, the lowest immigration requirement is 4.5 overall band score. One of my co-workers, also an electrician, got here In Australia last Jul 2008 with a total bandscore of 4.5.
BTW, we both have subclass 457 visas- (employer sponsored).
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by accccjr

Thats sounds encouraging! Thankyou!

Originally Posted by Wendy
Depends whether you need 15 points or 25 points for English.

If you wish to claim 25 points you will need to meet the required English language test results for proficient English - to claim proficient english you must provide one of the following:
  • IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing
    or
  • evidence of having achieved a score of `B´ or higher on each of the four (4) components of the OET Test.

On the scores you have you can only claim 15 points for competent English.
Wendy is this 15 points for the IELTS Test?

We are however now going to look at a 176 visa.

Thankyou for your replies & Happy New Year!